Ruger SR9

stevieboy

I've been a revolver guy for a long time and, although I have a bunch of revolvers, I don't own any semiautos except for a Smith & Wesson model 41. However, I'm on the verge of buying a Ruger SR9. I've tried nearly every style of semiauto out there, 1911 SA, DAO, SA/DA, and in most of the major calibers. Frankly, nothing really did much for me. Either I hated the triggers, or the sights, or the way the actions worked. And, to be honest, I didn't shoot any of them particularly well. But, a few weeks ago, on a whim, I tried out the SR9. Instant gratification! The gun was comfortable, the grips fit my hand perfectly, the trigger was crisp and, best of all, I was able to put everything where I aimed. I've gone back and tried the gun at least 3 times and each time I've had the same pleasant result. So, I'm about to buy one.

I'm very pleased that the gun that I really like is one of the cheaper ones out there. How many of you own one, and how do they work for you?

HippieMagic

I haven't heard anything bad about them... I recall a 10,000 round test being passed by them but they are still new designs... seems like a good polymer though.

comn-cents

stevieboy

I really like the feel of them, fit my hand really well, but I've help 3 of them and all the triggers are different. I read that they had good triggers but the one's I tried were really bad. I would make sure that you try the one you are buying and hope it has a good trigger.
I still want one just have to find the right one.
Good luck.

alienbogey

I've had mine about 3 months and am completely satisfied with it.

Similar to you I was shopping for a new 9mm and the SR9 wasn't on the list until I picked one up - for me, at least, the ergonomics are great and I think that its list of features and pricing makes it a very good buy.

I have probably 1,000 rounds through mine with no failures of any kind. It's my new EDC.

Legasat

I own an M&P 9, but I have rented the SR9 and shot it at the range.

Nice pistol. Comfortable & accurate.

If I get another 9mm, that might be the one.

bvmd73

I have or have owned almost every polymer 9mm out there and the SR9 is one of my favorite. I traded mine away as part of a Bushmaster AR trade but I'm always looking out to buy another one. Great price for a very ergonomic, comfortable, reliable polymer 9mm. Never had a problem with mine. I don't think there is a better gun out there for $400.

dairycreek

I have owned my SR9 for several months. Have put several K rounds thrugh it with no problem at all. And I mean none!

I also own a number of other striker fired pistols and consider the SR9 to have the best doggone trigger of all of those. Not a tuned 1911 mind you but, none the less, pretty good:D

RT

There was a recall in '08, but I think Ruger fixed the problem.

"We have determined that some Ruger SR9 pistols manufactured between October 2007 and April 2008 can, under certain conditions, fire if dropped with their manual safeties in the "off" or "fire" position. The pistols will not fire if the manual safety is in the "on" or "safe" position."
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/SR9Recall/

OcelotZ3

I bought an early one and had the recall done, going from a "normal" trigger to the Glock-like trigger.

I really like mine. I didn't think I would like the new trigger but I think it's better than the original one. And, the more you shoot it, the better it gets.

My first self-bought 9mm and I don't regret it.

stevieboy

Thanks, guys. I've been really impressed with the one that I've been test firing. It's a range gun and probably has had 10,000+ rounds through it. And, it works just fine. The trigger is reasonably crisp and every round seems to go where I point the gun. There have been no failures with the 100 or so rounds I've put through it. It's interesting because I've also test fired an M & P 9 and a Springfield XDM and, although these guns are significantly more expensive than the Ruger, their triggers don't feel any better to me and I don't shoot them nearly as accurately as I shoot the Ruger. The grips on the Ruger are slimmer than on either of the other two guns and I can more easily get a high hand hold on the Ruger, which is what I prefer. So, based on your recommendations and my experience, I think I'm going to spring for the Ruger.

Jay1958

I bought one when they first came out and put several hundred flawless rounds thru it prior to the recall. Sent it off to Ruger for recall retrofit and put a couple of hundred flawless rounds thru it after the recall with the new trigger.

I have found it to be accurate, reliable, ergonomic and easy to clean. The recall was a bit of a hassle, but Ruger paid shipping both ways and added a free mag and a cheap ballcap for the trouble.

Unfortunately, I lost mine a while back. My wife was deciding on what pistol she wanted for her home defense pistol. After firing my CZ75BD and several other pistols, she settled on the SR9. She loves it and shoots it quite well. It has probably 1,500 rounds thru it at this point without a hiccup. I have the actual round count, but I'm too lazy to go look it up.

Hope you are happy with your choice, whatever you decide!

stevieboy

You guys have very much reinforced my own impressions of this gun. It strikes me as an outstanding gun at an outstanding price. I'll buy one sometime within the next week or two and, if possible, post a range report.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Huskerguy

I purchased one a couple months ago. The wife and I both shot it one time and about 200 rounds of some CCI non-reloadable stuff. Had some problems with jams, but figured between being new and the ammo, I would let it go for now. Interestingly enough, it jammed more for my wife than me. I kind of wonder if the loads were very light and caused problems. I really like the feel of it which is what sold me on on it. I picked up an XDM and haven't had time to shot it yet.

B.N.Real

Dern thing holds 17 rounds and has a great grip and the trigger can be worked on to make it smoother.

The finish looks very nice and it generally has a high quality feel about the whole gun to me.

I don't hate on it just because it comes from America.

I thought hard about buying one but the P95's became availible at a fire sale price at my local gun store.

Otherwise,yea I definitely might buy one.

I really wish Ruger would get on the ball and make a single stack,compact version of this gun.

They could call it the SR9-SSC.