Ruger SR9 - will Ruger make a compact version?

DanTSX

Fondled an new post-recall Ruger SR9 at the gun store the other day. Now I have my prejudices on Ruger pistols being giant, reliable, bricks, but this damn thing was light, amazingly thin, and very ergonomic. I cannot believe it has a double-stack 17+1 mag capacity. Would have picked one up right there for the $399 they were asking, but the pistol only comes in full-sized. Anyone know of Ruger making a compact version? I think it would be great as they are snag-free and could still hold maybe 12+1 or 10+1. It would be a great CCW piece. I emailed Ruger, but have not yet heard back from them. Knowing them, they would probably just reccomend the LCP, which is nice, but not what I am looking for. The LCP is a deep concealment, last chance belly-gun, but a compact SR9 would be something that can be aimed to maim. I want basically what they have now, but a bit shorter in the barrel/slide and a shorter handle with a mag extension grip.

anyone thinking the same way?

For a Ruger, the thing felt fabulous!

DanTSX

".You might want to re-think that strategy.

why? Is it the size?

LCP is good for a few yards and a few shots. A "last ditch" weapon. Shot placement at that point is secondary to contact.

Proper shot placement is much more possible with a compact pistol rather than a pocket pistol. Most people can handle a compact with the same effect as a full size pistol when dealing with man-sized targets at pistol ranged distances.

Is it the caliber? I feel safe shooting 9mm. Plenty of nasty +P HP out there. Badguys don't know if i'm shooting a 9, .40 or .45 when they are taking lead.

I'm talking about something in the SA XD compact or Glock 36 size, or even a little bigger, just the thinness of the SR9

David the Gnome

Dan, he was taking "aim to maim" as aiming to only "maim" someone, such as intentionally targeting non-lethal parts of the body; a strategy not highly recommended for self-defense where your life is on the line.

DanTSX

Oh gotcha!:eek: "Aim to maim" rhymed

Sorry bout that;)

In that case, my CCW/home defense credo:

Only point a gun at something if you are going to shoot it.
Only shoot at something if you are going to kill it.
No warning shots.

:D

allenomics

A Ruger representative told me that 3-5 company engineers/designers are exploring many different options; a smaller-form SR9 and larger LCP's in 9mm, for example. However, nothing new has been green lighted.

Concealable

I was under the understanding that the SR9, even though it is a larger framed pistol, was designed to be thinner, as it is, for better concealability. My local gun shot owner let me slip it into my waist band and it wasn't bad at all. I do think that a compact would be very interesting. Hope they will work all the kinks out from the start this time.