Ruger SR9 report

farnorthdan

I had some reservations about this gun after reading comments here on TFL. I picked up my pre-production SR9 last week and put about 200 rds threw it on Saturday and must say the gun performed flawlessly. No failures whatsoever, outside temp was well below zero which can present problems with some of my other pistols but the SR9 had no problems. My personel opinion of the gun is A+. For the price and what the gun is, I think its a good deal.

Apple a Day

I got to try one yesterday. I really enjoyed it. I only put ~50 rounds through it myself but it was comfortable and easy to shoot. The trigger was good, light, with no discernable creep. Magazine springs were pretty stiff and the owner couldn't load them without using the mag loader. I did it by hand but could feel the stiffness.
Accuracy was good as well. My groups were a little looser with the SR-9 than with my CZ-75. Sights were a shade small but highly visible.
Fit and finish were both very nice. It's not a barbeque gun but it's a good utilitarian piece.
I was surprised that the grip was as comfortable as it was. I have big hands and had anticipated that it would be tough to find a comfortable hold on the slimmer handle. Not so. If felt natural right off the bat.
I had one failure to go completely into battery. When I checked the round there was a ding on the nose which allowed it to get hung up... not sure if it was dinged before I loaded it or somehow happened on feeding. It was the only round that had a problem either through the 50 rounds I fired or the ~250 the owner fired while at the range.
I brought along a magazine for my P-95 to see if it would fit the SR-9. Nope, not even close.
If I was in the market for another 9x19mm spitter I'd put this one on my list of contenders near the top.

BabyEagle40

A year from now, the SR9. I have no experience with the s&w, but i know the sr9 should be fine after the initial hiccups.

Glen P

The 'ding on the nose' reported by Apple A Day may be caused by the lower of two notches in the magazine. I noticed that I have to press down on the nose with a finger while I use the loader, which is pressing down on the brass to keep the stack level. Otherwise the stack shifts forward in the magazine and one bullet protrudes slightly through the lower notch. Press hard enough with the nose of the bullet in that notch and some metal can be scraped off.

BabyEagle40

There have been a number of reports of the magazines shaving the metal off the tip of FMJ rounds. Please watch for loose metal.

mike4

just could'nt keep mine more than 2 months. had a cheap look and feel. imo. mags were real hard to load... how can ruger be proud of a gun like that. one thing it had was capacity and ergonomics. sold it anyway. the guy i sold it to sold it...:barf:

45reloader

Mike4
not 1 problem with various ammo brands and weights. 1000 rds fired. the gun is definately wortrh the money. my wife loves it too. the grip feels like it's one with my hand. it rivals my sigs and berettas in the grip comfort dept. besides if someone is unlucky enough to choose my home or my person to rob ,i won't be so depressed seeing a cop put it in a evidence bag as much as i would seeing my elite 220 or soething like that get taken away for 5 months till the trial is over. it is accurate enough for the standard defense distances that exsist in real life situations. i help it become more accurate anyway. definately a keeper

What could have gone so wrong :eek: