Ruger SR9 and Steyr M9

flight954

I was thumbing through a back issue of Rifleman magazine and ran across a write up on the Ruger SR9 and noticed the similarities to the M9. I love the ergos of my M40-A1 so I just might have to get the Ruger.
3305.jpg

SteyrM9.jpg

Last edited:

reloader-1

they do look rather similar - Never fired an SR9, but I do really like shooting the Steyr S-A1 and M-A1.

Btw, it is "Steyr", not "Styer" - it's a common misspelling, even Gunbroker sellers misspell it like that!

Dashunde

Oh wow... that Steyr just shot to the top of my ugly-gun-list. :barf:

On the other hand, I shot 9c a few weeks ago and liked it plenty.
Nice fit & finish, feels good in the hand, shoots nicely enough.
I dont think I'd trade my CZ for it though.

reloader-1

Dashunde,

that "ugliness" has a purpose - it is one of the best feeling and pointing handguns out there.

I am more accurate with my compact Steyr S-A1 than I am with most fullsize target pistols.

Dashunde

Isnt that the truth. Everything that is functionally best almost always comes up short somewhere else.
If it works good - it looks bad.
If it looks good - its probably junk.
If it fits right and feels good - its probably ugly.
If it tastes good - it'll make you fat.
Life is funny that way.

And I have to admit...
The more I look at it, the more I can imagine it having a good fit and pointability. I'm starting to "see" its virtues.
I'm still having trouble getting past that trigger shape though.

reloader-1

Dashunde - excellent summary! I do hate that about life as well.

Find a way to get some good trigger time on a Steyr M-A1 or S-A1 (not the older versions, they are not as comfortable in the handle). You will fall in love. Honestly, in person they don't look that bad - they will never win any beauty contests, but your ragged one-holers will turn enough heads.

There is something uncanny about how well it points - extend your index finger at an object, and that is where the Steyr points. I am not recommending it, but you could probably get a pretty tight group just "pointing" at your target without looking at the sights.

Fishbed77

"Isnt that the truth. Everything that is functionally best almost always comes up short somewhere else.
If it works good - it looks bad.
If it looks good - its probably junk.
If it fits right and feels good - its probably ugly.
If it tastes good - it'll make you fat.
Life is funny that way."

These rules usually apply in most situations, but I can think of one exception - Walther P99!

Looks great, works great, feels great!

Doesn't taste very good, though.

Hoss Fly

The SR9 is a good handgun-
I had one for awhile but just never got to "love" & trust it 100%
The SR9C on the otherhand rests by my wifes side of the bed :cool:
& YES, I love my wife :p

seed

I haven't shot the SR9, but I have an m40 (not A-1). To me, the Steyr design is the best polymer frame pistol out there. I especially like its chassis design and its very sweet trigger (with short reset). Add to that: extremely low bore axis, full chamber support (standard rifling, not that this matters to me but it does to those who shoot lead), Tennifer finish, and it is built like a tank. Every once in a while, I will find additional things I like about it that I hadn't noticed before, such as a full metal skirt housing for the recoil rod base, which is fantastic if you wish to get a metal rod from BT.

Steyr jumped years ahead of all the others in my opinion and only recently have others started to catch up. None fully have though...they all have some shortcoming compared to the Steyr. Unless you want a different platform, I say get an S model Steyr to go with your M-A1.