Ruger SR556 for first AR?

Delaware_Dan

I am about to pull the trigger on a Ruger SR556 as my first AR. I added up the costs and it's about the same price if I built it to the specs I want it. The Ruger comes exactly how I would build one if I built my own. Plus the soft case and 3 Pmags is a deal sweatener. I'm aware of the carrier tilt wear, and the endless debate over DI or Piston systems, so please dont turn this into a debate. What do you guys/gals think of the SR556 for my first AR? My shooting buddy is getting me a pretty good deal on it at $1390 NIB and I believe there is a 10% discount for cash purchases. So whats the verdict on these rifles?

I think there are much better deals out there to be found, but I haven't had any experience with the SR556. If you do get it, please do us all a favor and get us a range report on it.

KChen986

Sorry. As of now I've seen too many Ruger SR556's with carrier tilt.

I strongly believe anyone's first AR should be a DI. Know and learn the system before you try something proprietary.

You can easily find Daniel Defense (top tier) ARs for $1150 online. I'd suggest that as a first AR. YMMV, IMHO and all that.

thesheepdog

Don't buy it. I hear bad things about carrier tilt and such. I am seeing those come into major gun shops more frequently. It seems if it was a good rifle, people wouldn't be reselling them.

Quentin2

Buy what you want but you'd be smart to do more research. For that kind of money there are so many better choices. Why discount all other quality ARs and go for just that one? I don't see it as a good choice for a first AR.

If you do get it please do as RockyMtnTactical requested. It would be enlightening to see if you remain in love with it after putting a thousand rounds down the barrel.

Not trying to rain on your parade but more research would be wise.

GoOfY-FoOt

I added up the costs and it's about the same price if I built it to the specs I want it. The Ruger comes exactly how I would build one if I built my own.

You said it yourself.

If you have the time and want to gain the knowledge, first-hand, why wouldn't you build your own? Then you would understand the platform better. And would be able to make changes as needed, if you find that you would have went a different way, if you only knew about ...?

Seems like a no-brainer, IMO...

demigod

What do you guys/gals think of the SR556 for my first AR?

It's good to see solid advice given here... (for the most part ;)) I expected a bunch of Ruger Fanboy replies when I clicked on this one.

Any piston AR purchase is a big (and expensive) mistake.

AK103K

My buddy has a couple of SR556's, and hasnt had any troubles with them, and seems to like them pretty good.

Just out of curiosity, what is this "carrier tilt" thats being tossed around? First I've heard of it.

KChen986

Re Carrier Tilt

DI system operates by gas flowing through the gas key and in to the Bolt Carrier, unlocking the bolt and driving the Bolt carrier rearwards.

Piston systems operate by using a piston to strike the gas key area. If not properly engineered, the bolt carrier wilt tilt from the uneven forces acting on the carrier.

Here's a thread dedicated to it. Some SR556s are free of carrier tilt. Others (as seen in the picture I linked) are plagued with tilt.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=68897&highlight=carrier+tilt

attachment.php

I hope I've adequately explained it.

FALacy

You could get a very nice Daniel Defense for that price that will likely be more reliable and much more accurate with amazing fit and finish.

Longdayjake

I have some experience with 2 of them. One was a full auto rental at a gunshop that had seen about 5000 rounds of full auto on it. The buffer tube was toast. The other was recreational and had only shot about 500 rounds through it. It had issues cycling different brands and weights of ammo. Just make sure that if you get one you know what setting you need to have your gas set on for the particular ammo you are shooting.

Delaware_Dan

I'm suprised I'm not hearing any praise for the SR, The one I looked at seemed really nice. I guess building one seems to be the way to go. I did some poking around on the BCM site and I'm liking what I see. I've never owned a 5.56/.223, so what twist rate am I looking for for a 16 inch barrel?

KChen986

Delaware_Dan,

I really think, Daniel Defense is the way to go. A year after I sold my RRA and bought two LWRCs, I wanted another DI AR to play with. After looking at all the top tier manufacturers (LMT, BCM, Colt, DD, Alphabetsoup), I found DD had the best value. I think a comparably priced AR from DD will be about $200 cheaper than a comparably equipped Colt or BCM.

I just bought my DD M4V1 for $950.

DD20000_9.jpg

Willie Lowman

Delaware_Dan, if you are going to shoot 55 to 62 grain most of the time 1 in 9 twist will work fine for you. If you plan on launching the big 77 grainers, you might want a 1 in 7.

For most plinking uses with cheap ammo, I have never seen a difference between 1 in 9 and 1 in 7.

Volucris

The SR556 rifles use a pointless, but functional (albeit front-heavy and somewhat prone to possibly damaging carrier tilt) piston design and are genuinely too much money for that they offer.

Since you obviously have reliability and performance in mind, you could get a Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense, or build up a BCM (so easy a child can do it). It would be more balanced, you'd have more options, parts are cheaper (granted you ever run the rifle hard enough to damage something like a carbine class addict), and it's going to be a tad cheaper. The Daniel Defense complete M4s (semi-auto:() are just under a grand total and are probably the best complete AR you can buy with those features. Great rifles.

Piston designs are not inherently terrible they were just created for the AR15 platform to compensate for poor manufacturers of DI guns (aka DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, etc) and some internet armchair commandoing.

If you want to try a piston gun out, I suggest trying SPike's new one out.
http://www.weaponevolution.com/foru...ike-s-Tactical-16-quot-Dedicated-Piston-Upper

Parts will be cheaper than Ruger (which is known for high priced parts) and the design is a bit better with focus on alleviating carrier tilt and keeping carbon out of the piston mechanism almost all-together. If I wanted a piston-gun with AR ergonomics I'd get that one easily. Or save some cash for an FN FS2000 (fun to shoot and great balance just kinda bulky) or a SCAR (they're getting much cheaper).