Ruger SR45 Recoil?

Mosin44az

Hello,

I am interested in the Ruger SR45, but was surprised to read the American Rifleman review saying it had "very strong recoil." Is this true? The writer indicated this was true with +P loads.

I would appreciate info from owners and others who have extensively shot the SR 45 as to how much recoil they feel when shooting with Ball and with defense loads.

I realize felt recoil is subjective, so I would be interested in comparisons to other guns you know. In particular the Glock 30 and XD 40 4-inch barrel, as I know those pistols and know their recoil is very tolerable. But I've shot many pistols so any similar info would be welcome.

Thanks!

cal10

I have about 1700 rounds through mine and absolutely love it. The recoil is directed back, rather than up if that makes sense. In other words the muzzle flip or rise after a shot is greatly reduced and you can get back on target quicker. It is very accurate and my neighbor commented on my tight groups, compared to his Kimber 1911, which is customized with sights and trigger kit. He spends his time lining up his shots and I do 1 round per second on average. The groups come out very similar. It's no 1911, so its a little wider, but it has ten round capacity without having a broomstick hanging off the bottom of your mag well. I think he figured it out one day and you could buy three SR45's for what he put into his Kimber.

The recoil, is no worse than other 45 cal handguns, in that barrel length.

g.willikers

Recoil, or lack of it, in the common caliber handguns, is more about technique than the gun or ammo.
There really isn't all that much difference, for the non-magnums.
With the proper stance and grip, it won't be a problem.

k4swb

I got the SR45 just before Christmas 2013 and have around 1000 rounds through it so far. One of the most comfortable semi-autos I have ever shot.

Recoil is pleasant.

KROIL

I was suprised to find that my SR45 has less felt recoil than my Glock 21C firing the same loads. Accuracy wise they are about the same. The Glock has a better trigger.

Armybrat

My SR45 has less felt recoil than my Springfield Armory GI .45.

Nice gun for the price, and it is 10+1.

LockedBreech

I've shot very few production service-caliber handguns with troubling recoil. My little LCP isn't the most fun, but I can still put 200+ through the thing in a range visit if I have a mind to do so. Shy of teeny tiny pistols and gigantic revolvers, most pistols are 100% manageable with proper technique. I know a police officer who is a 5'2" female with small wrists and tears a pretty quick, ragged hole with a Glock G22 .40.

Whether it's accuracy, reliability, or recoil, always look to yourself before questioning equipment.

None of that was on topic, sorry. To answer the question, the SR9 and SR40 are both great shooters with good grips and well-managed recoil and I can't imagine the SR45 is worse.