Ruger SR22 Barrel Problems: Chipping?

1911Alaska

Ok just got this gun a couple weeks ago for my girlfriends first gun. So far so good no issues or anything. But today it looks as if the front of the barrel it chipping or something?

I looked at it, decided to put some rounds through it and it worked fine but idk why it would do what it is doing.

Anyone have any experience with Ruger customer service? Think they might replace it?

Attachments

• IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_6848.jpg
    IMG_6848.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 216

mete

How about accuracy ?? It looks like the chamfering tool was chattering and giving a poor finish .That kind of thing wiuld normally produce an inaccurate barrel. A gunsmith could rechamfer the barrel or you could return it to Ruger.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I have zero experience with Ruger CS, but I would not hesitate to give them a call. For that matter, I would give the manufacturer a call immediately, regardless of who it was. I'm not a gunsmith by any means, but that looks like something that needs to be fixed sooner rather than later.

Eghad

I would give Ruger a call. The last and first time I had a problem with my Ruger I e-mailed them and with 24 hours had a prepaid shipping label to send my pistol back. It was back within about three weeks including the shipping time. I would e-mail them the photos.

rgrundy

I've shot Thunderbolts through my SIG and had severe barrel leading. Are the chips by any chance lead that was deposited in the barrel then chipped or peeled off?

buckeyedave

Ruger CS is great. Call them early as calls back up as the day goes on. They will fix it or replace it. They will email a return label.
Dave

dyl

Leading.

I've seen this kind of post before on centerfire handgun forums and this is just a guess mind you - but I'm leaning towards leading. Their pictures were mighty convincing too. Lead can be rather shiny and looks like metal "in the white" when it's deposited.

Also, if accuracy has not changed I'd think it was leading. The crown is a crucial part of the barrel as it's the last part to touch the bullet/gasses and a chip would make a big difference.

Since it's at the crown be careful not to deform the metal but try this before sending it back:

Does the shiny surface scrub off? Scrape (carefully!) off at all? Soak the tip of the barrel in a good gun solvent for a while then try a nylon brush, then a brass brush. Or use a rag / cloth and look at what comes off. If it comes off you know it's lead ( and that it's harmless).

danez71

Are the chips by any chance lead that was deposited in the barrel then chipped or peeled off?

Thats my guess too. There have been few reports of leading.

The guy fired about 1000 rounds in about 1.5 hrs.

If you look at the 10th picture down, it kind of looks like pitting but if you look at the 12th picture, which was after quite a number of rapid fire rounds later, its clearly leading.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451009&highlight=leading

cbuck

my sr22 had the same thing happen, i ran a bore snake through it a couple of times and it was fine after. it has only happened when i used lead round nose bullets, try some copper plated ammo and it shouldnt happen again

ColoSpgsShooter

Been there done that

I bought an SR22 in May and as it was my first handgun, was not aware that using a bore-snake as the only thing to clean the barrel was bad. I was primarily shooting Blazer 22lr with the lead heads. As others have said before, this appears to be the issue. Get a good brass bore brush and scrub that lead out. Might need to soak in Hoppes #9 or whatever cleaning solution you use for a couple hours. Once you get the lead out, if you are still seeing defects in the barrel, contact Ruger and see what options they can provide.

Edit to advise to use plated bullets rather then lead...SR22 seems to really like CCI Mini Mags :cool:

JohnKSa

Administrator
If it's chipped in that location, it was chipped before you shot it. I can't think of a way that shooting a gun could cause chips in that location.

I'm inclined to agree with those who suspect leading is what's showing up in the pics.

Venom1956

leading.
and when you switch to jacketed rounds there will be copper deposits in your rifling some mistake for rust. just a heads up. I have much better luck with bulk fed and CCI then anything else.

m_liebst

Thunderbolts are probably the worst ammo you can use anyway.

They truly are: Just look up remington thunderbolts on youtube and you'll probably see some serious fouling videos in .22lr. When using the thunderbolts, ya better be sure to spend a good amount of time with the barrel, or it's gonna build up. Infact- I shoot CCI Blazer lead RN ammo a lot, but everytime after the session, I make sure to give the barrel a good cleaning-with solvent and the nylon brush. So I never have the problem.

As with Thunderbolts, beware that they are the worst lead ammo you can put through your pistol/ rifle, especially in high volume.

In this case it's also related to the nature of using plain lead ammo...- ya gotta spend a lot more time scrubbing/ cleaning. If ya don't want that, stick with the copper washed ammo.;)

Remington rimfire ammo IS the worst you can buy

Bingo!

Don't buy Remington. Stick with par grade ammo to CCI if ya want something that is cleaner and infinitely more reliable. The first time I bought a .22lr pistol, I tried a few brands of ammo. Remington must be some of the dirtiest loose weak priming ammo out there. I've gotten duds in center fire ammo manufactured by Remington!?! That says a lot to me about which brand ammo to stay far away from.

Last edited:

batmann

I just bought one myself. I looked at one st the recent NRA show and thought it was a great pistol then and I still think so. That said the Ruger rep told me it will run about anything BUT Remington.
Change ammo, clean it good and then see what happens. I hve only run CCI through mine.