Ruger SR1911 lt wt CMD question

9ballbilly

I apologize in advance, but I'm not familiar at all with these guns.

Is there any reason an ambidextrous thumb safety could not be installed on the lightweight commander?

Anything that makes it more difficult than on other 1911's?

Asking for a friend.

dahermit

Is there any reason an ambidextrous thumb safety could not be installed on the lightweight commander?

Anything that makes it more difficult than on other 1911's?
No, it should be the same. However, if I remember correctly, and I could be wrong, ambidextrous safeties have fallen out of favor as being superfluous for a right-handed shooter...more trouble than they are worth.

Here is some discussion of the subject: http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=11604.0

T. O'Heir

"...superfluous for a right-handed shooter..." Except for the shooting games. Still more trouble than they're worth though.
There was a guy on another forum back in 2009 complaining about there being an ambi safety on his Colt Commander. And the Commander XSE came out of the factory with one in 2000.
Don't normally suggest Youtube, but watch this. It's on a 1911A1, but the Ruger is a clone of that. Guy doesn't even field strip the thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xkbaDL3vvE

g.willikers

The video is an example of what "some assembly required" can mean.
And it would be wise to know how all those little pieces go back in, the ones that fell all over the table.

dahermit

There was a guy on another forum back in 2009 complaining about there being an ambi safety on his Colt Commander. And the Commander XSE came out of the factory with one in 2000.
Yup...I got a Colt Commander XSE in about 2000 that had one. I took it off and replaced it with a just a left side one.

pete2

Installing an ambi should be the same as on any other 1911 gun. I have a SS CMD and I replaced the giant safety wing with a standard teardrop Colt safety. Not a fan of ambis at all but I'm not a lefty.