Ruger SPNY

Sgt127

I picked up an unusual gun a few years ago at a gun shop that was going out of business. Its a Ruger SP-101. But not marked as such. Its marked SPNY. Has a satin "vapor blasted" looking finish. Double action only with bobbed hammer. Its the short .38 special frame prior to being lengthened to .357 size. I understand these were originally made for the NYPD. Questions: Were these issue guns? Were they Officer purchase guns? What year(s) were they made and, roughly, how many were made? Its absolutly untouched, original box, sleeve paperwork etc. Anybody have any idea on value? I talked to a few Ruger collectors and they just stared at me...they had no idea what I was talking about...

JohnH

I remember a CDNN ad. in Shotgun News several years ago, that had SP 101's for sale. The ad. stated they were bought from the NYPD. These, however, were 9mm. If I remember correctly, some were hammerless.

dinosaur

Hmmm. The old wayvac machine isn`t exactly in tune today but..... The NYPD did go to Rugers along with the Smiths after they did away with the Colts.
The first Rugers were single and double action I believe but then they changed both to hammerless DAO. Too many NDs from cocking the hammer back. Actually since we were taught single action shooting, the dep`t could only blame itself. They got that from the FBI.

If it`s marked SPNY it should be an issue test gun and all test guns were city property. IOW, some guns were given to street cops to carry instead of their regular duty guns. I remember they did that with *&* 9mm revolvers. The first 9mm semis were marked NYPD since they were given to detectives and Sgts. drivers to test. They eventually were told to keep the guns and they may go up in value.

We bought our own guns from the Equipment Section and they had no special markings so that`s why I`m saying it`s probably a test gun. We owned the guns we paid for.

Can`t help you with the years issued except that the first class of 1994 were issued semi autos only. Maybe a call to Ruger would help?

AFA value goes, I have a couple of Pa. State Police guns. One is the 75th Aniv., the 100th is next year, and the other is the issue 96D with the Keystone stamped on the frame. In certain circles these have value because the PSP doesn`t want their emblems, equipment etc. on the open market. Other collectors could care less.

Sgt127

I appreciate the info. Great little gun. But, I already had the .357 long frame that I have been carrying. I guess it can just quietly sleep in the back of the gun vault for a few more years...doesn't eat much...doesn't take up much room....

Homerboy

Spny

The SPNY were sold to cops that elected to buy an off duty revolver. A total of 3900 were made, and I have one of them that I used as a backup for ten years. I'll never part with it.

JCM298

Do a Google search for R M Vivas & Son. Send him an e-mail & he'll give you some info about the NYPD Rugers.

He wrote a long post on a forum, possibly Smith or Ruger, about them.

Sorry, but I couldn't find the post and I'm having a problem w/ this "devil's device", so I can't post a hot link,

John