Ruger Speed Six .357...

hoytinak

Went into my LGS to look at 3" GP100 they had as I've been looking for a 2-3" .357 for a little while. Next to the GP100 I see a blued Speed Six 2.75" that looks in good condition. I check it out and it passes the revolver checkout on here. They had it marked at $480, I talk them down to $450 and took it home. Serial number puts it at late '80 or early '81. Anything I need to know about these? I'll be looking for a good leather IWB holster, do these use the same as any other DA/SA? Any info on this thing would be helpful as I'm not much of a revolver guy but seen this and just REALLY wanted it.. .thanks.

Attachments

• 10834067_903272006358964_1177225897_n.jpg
    10834067_903272006358964_1177225897_n.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 108

Lost Sheep

You found one of the best medium frame carry guns you could get.

Most "K"-frame holsters will fit it, but of course, one molded specifically for the ruger "Six" revolvers would fit better. There are no special considerations for the Ruger vs Colt, Smith, Charter Arms, etc.

Under the grips you should find a pin that you use to capture the coil mainspring on the mainspring strut. If it is missing, you can use a clipped-off finishing nail. It will be obvious how it works, just remove the grips (which can be done with the rim of a cartridge if you don't have a screwdriver handy) cock the hammer and you will see a hole in the strut in which you can insert the pin.

Go to Ruger.com and you can download an owner's manual

Congratulations

Lost Sheep

edit: I went and found the link for you.
https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/securitySix.pdf

Dot_mdb

I bought a stainless steel Speed-six in 1977. I think I paid $167 for it. Happen to be carrying it today. These are excellent guns. They are a little heavier than S&W K frame guns but they are also a little more robust. Mine has an excellent trigger. I carry mine in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 holster. The gun carries well and conceals reasonably well. I've never once thought of selling the Speed-six.

Bill

DaleA

Rugged and reliable.

Shoot the beejeebees out of it, carry it every day and pass it on to your offspring and they'll be able to do the same.

Guess you can tell I generally like Rugers.

CajunBass

Im a S&W guy, but the Ruger Speed/Security Six revolvers are great guns. I had one like yours many years ago.

Find yourself a Tylers T grip for it. About all you need to do to it.

Wishoot

Congratulations!

You've got yourself one fine revolver there.

I have a 2 3/4 blued Security Six and I can't imagine ever selling/trading it.

Doyle

I've got the snubby Security Six and I'm not sure I'd want to carry it IWB. The cyclinder is pretty fat and I don't think that would be very comfortable. I carry mine OWB.

hoytinak

Well I got it to take to the river while out 4-wheeling. That's really the only time I'll be carrying it. I've never gotten used to OWB as I always get paranoid that it's showing too much.

eddiejoe333

I just picked up a Police Service Six in .357 at the gun show over the weekend. It has some wear on it, but I'm good with that. Does the Bicentennial reference on the frame add much to the value?

P.S. I picked this over a stainless Smith model 65, and a Highway Patrolman in good shape. This one just felt good.

mavracer

It has some wear on it, but I'm good with that. Does the Bicentennial reference on the frame add much to the value?
A little on a NIB or LNIB example but with wear it's not gonna add much all the 1976 guns had it. It's cool though I have a nice "Liberty" SBH.

OP Badger makes a great boot grip for speed sixes, he doesn't list them though you have to call and asked.

Madcap_Magician

Pretty sure yours isn't affected, but one thing to keep in mind is that guns with serial numbers starting earlier than 151- will take different grips than those after. There was a grip frame modification at that point in production.

roaddog28

Congrats and great revolver. In my opinion the best double action revolver Ruger ever made. I have owned a Service Six and a Security Six. They are tough as nails.
Enjoy yours.