Ruger sp101 vs Smith model 60?

rob i

Hi,

I am currently trying to decide between these two guns, more specifically the snubnosed versions of these. I would use the revolver for occasional carry during the winter months and for range use. I live in Mass where concealability is a must and normally carry a seecamp, which is great when not wearing heavy clothing. I took a look at these side by side at the store today and I think that I prefer the look of the sp101, but it seems that the general consensus is that Smith makes a better revolver. As far as the model 60 goes, I don't like the combat grip. I would switch it for a boot grip and wonder how it would look on that pistol. Any pictures of that combo would be appreciated. I thought that the trigger pull may have been a bit smoother on the 60, but the sp101 wasn't bad, although it was used. I am definately buying new. Anway, any imput would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

steveno

if you are going to shoot it a lot get the Ruger. if you are going to carry it more than shoot it get the S & W. the Ruger is quite a bit heavier

Sir William

Both bark with authority. I would go Ruger for handling, reliability and durability. I would go S&W for concealability. I like the S&Ws sights better also.

Tacoma

Hey Comrad. Good to meet another Ma guy here. FWIW, I have both a SP 101 and a new mod 60 ( in addition to a whole gammit of J frame S&W's). Here's my 2 cents. If you want something comparable to the Seacamp in size weight, go with a older .38 spl mod 60/36/49 etc. They are true J frames , under 20 oz and +p capable. The newer .357 flavor 60's/640's are sweet but a bit heavier (22 oz)and larger. Still, they have a "just right" feel to me. The factory grips on the new 60's don't look great but are VERy comfortable and add control. Of course with S&W, relacements are EVERYWHERE. My only gripe about the new 60's is that pointy and small MIM hammer. I'm getting ready to grind mine off as I preffer to carry with hip grips stuck in my belt. The SP101 ( mine is 9mm) is equal in quality to the mod 60 IMHO. it is heavier and bulkier of all those mentioned though (2" 357 weigs in @ 25+ oz). I don't care for the ruger factory grips either. Unfortunatly, aftermarkets arn't as common. Still, have some Uncle mikes rubber grips on mine and they feel sweet!

p.s. Depending on method of carry, you might also consider a 640 or SP01 bobbed edition. Not quite teh flexability (with no SA) but very slick to carry.

hth

bad_dad_brad

Both are great revolvers.

I don't own the Smith but I do have a 3" Ruger in .38+P.

I like the Ruger because it fits my small hands well, and being a heavier gun, it is easier for me to control, and because of this, I find it easier to hit what I aim at.

The trigger on the Ruger SP101 is one long hard pull for sure, but once you get used to it, it is okay.