Ruger SP101 4 Inch

herdman

Is the recoil significant with the 357? They are a nice looking revolver. I understand the GP100 is much heavier. Comparing both, what are recommendations. Thanks.

PetahW

I once shot a .357 SP-101 side-by-side with another small .357 (A S&W J-frame), and found the Smith much more controllable than the Ruger - but they both had barrels only around 2" long & issue grips.

I'd think the 4" SP would be much better in that respect, though.

DannyB1954

Short barrels and 357 mag are really not a optimal match. according to http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/, a 40S&W has more power than a 357 magnum in barrels shorter than 4" After 4" the 357 starts to shine.

I do have a 40 S&W revolver, a Taurus 405. When I carry a revolver it is the Ruger SP101 2" with 38Spl+p,

DPris

Member Emeritus
I have two 4-inch SPs in .357.
Even with the small factory grips I don't find them difficult to handle, with anything from 125 to 158 to 180 loads.
A larger Hogue grip makes it even easier.
Denis

Micahweeks

I have both the 4.2 inch SP101 and the Wiley Clapp 3" GP100. I will have the new GP100 Match Champion in the next few weeks or so since I've been going heavily back to revolvers since I left the field. The 4.2 SP101 is quite pleasant even with .357's. The longer barrel does mitigate a lot of the blast and flip my old snubby had. Weight is not an issue. The gun is easy to carry. The SP101 is a bit easier to carry, but the WC is a more comfortable shooter, although not by too much. They really aren't that far off on the weight. I know on a scale there is probably a significant difference, but in your hands or on your belt it's not that noticeable, at least not to me. A good holster makes both easy to conceal for me, a medium-framed guy.

It's not a snubby and doesn't handle like a snubby, so don't expect that. It handles like a mid-sized gun, or at least I feel like it does. The Wiley Clapp handles quite nicely, too, and is extremely quick in the hands. If I were you, I'd get a 4.2 inch SP101 if you're in the market for one. If you're undecided between the 4.2 inch SP101 and a GP100, wait until you can hold a WC or MC and decide from there. I wish I could say the choice gets easier once you do, but I'd be lying.

Rogervzv

I personally prefer a 38 special round to a 357 round for SD or for the range for that matter.

The SP101 is a nifty and well-made revolver. You might check out the GP100 4" though. One heck of a fine handgun and if you want to shoot .357 it is clearly superior to the SP101 unless the size/weight differential really is critical for your purposes.

herdman

I made a purchase today. I decided to go with the GP100, 4 inch. Got the blued version. Walked in and they had it in stock. Compared it to the GP100 6 inch. Loved both and it was a hard decision. I think the 4 inch seems a little more versatile. I know one thing. Can't wait to shoot it and it is an awesome gun. Man, I like Ruger guns.

Rogervzv

Great choice, Herdman. The GP100 will last you and yours for generations, and it is a very fun revolver to shoot. I have two of them:

herdman

I would eventually like to add the wood style grips. I think it gives the revolver the more classic look.

I've got the 2 1/4 inch sp101. 357 doesn't kick much harder than a 9mm glock 17. The gun is pretty heavy if you've ever held one. I can shoot mine with 1 hand pretty easily. Your probably good with an sp101 in a 4 inch barrel

DaleA

Don't forget they make a variety of .357 magnum ammunition.

(You might not be able to find it, but they DO make it.)

So try some different weight bullets, and find the one you like.

I suspect even heavy loads won't be that much of a problem with your GP100.

alex0535

If I was going to buy an SP101, I would buy it as a defensive concealed carry revolver. The 4" version is a bit too long for that in my opinion. I would go with the 2 or 3 inch barrel, and keep it loaded with .38 +P. Recoil of a .357 is going to be significant in any practical sized revolver, but the SP101 has enough mass that it will be snappy but tolerable by most. The longer the barrel the less energy is wasted in terms of unburnt powder, and generally less abrasive it will be on the ears.

If I wanted something for the range and home defense, the added size and weight and extra round of the GP100 is all great. The idea of having to fire .357 in an enclosed space makes my ears hurt just thinking about it, I would probably still sacrifice a bit of power for the control-ability and lesser noise of the .38 +P for home defense.