Ruger SP101 357 owners thoughts?

epic4444

Hey im looking at getting a Ruger SP101 357 with a 3 inch barrel and am wondering how you guys like them? I really like the way it feels in my hand, but im wondering about the harshness of the 357 round in a revolver this size. Also wondering how accurate it is? Is it as accurate as a G19? Thanks for any and all advice.

Alaska444

I have a 2.25 inch with burred hammer and it is a great gun. I have a Gp100 in .357 and going to the 25 oz Sp101 was quite a shock the first time I shot it but I am getting used to it after shooting it only two times so far. Snappy is a good description, but with practice very manageable. I use the Buffalo Bore tactical .357 loads which are not bad at all. It will handle the full power .357 which I haven't done yet, but most folks call that quite brisk and not the type of gun you would want to shoot a box of full power rounds through. However, .38 sp are easily handled for range practice.

I have a great holster from Simply Rugged for OWB and I just got a new pocket holster from them today as well. It is not the ideal pocket carry gun because of its weight, but you appreciate the weight when you shoot it compared to the really lightweight scandium models which I have shot once as well. All in all, it is a rugged little gun a little big for pocket carry but still quite easy to do so anyway that packs a mean punch. Depending on your needs, it is a good option. I am quite happy with my little hand cannon.

It is also quite concealable with the right clothes and my grandson and my son in law didn't know I had it in the house concealed on me for the last two months. I just told him yesterday and he said he had no clue I had it all this time. That was in close quarters in the house so I would have to say it is easy to conceal when done properly. As a revolver, it is highly reliable and easy to learn how to shoot. I shoot low with this gun compared to my larger Ruger so I have to adjust my sight picture a little bit, but I have learned to compensate. Very accurate for such a small snub nose. The comments I have read from other threads confirmed all of my own observations.

Teuthis

Felt recoil is significant with the SP-101 usingfull power .357 rounds. With practice one can become proficient with the revolver, but recoil will always limit the amount of shooting you can do with it. Practice will be the key.

GojuBrian

The Sp101 is a very nice gun. Mine is a keeper for sure.

A few magnums for the range, but usually 38 specials. Get the hogue grips too! :cool:

Kreyzhorse

Good gun, well made, affordable. Trigger can be pretty gritty out of the box. Dry firing the hell out of it smooths it out a lot however. It will never become a great trigger without work, but it is good. The gun is reliable and Ruger backs their product so it would certainly be a good buy.

With .357s, the recoil would be snappy and I'd think that yours would see a steady diet of .38s.

If this is going to be a range gun, I'd suggest looking at either a Ruger GP or a S&W 686. Both will handle .357s without some of the recoil the SP will have.

If this is a CCW gun, I'd also suggest a S&W Airweight if you are interested in a small light weight gun.

MW surveyor

I like mine a lot

Have a 3" SP 101 and liked it enough to start reloading so as to be able to shoot it more than any of my other guns. That said, have sent approximately 150 rounds of commercial and 700 rounds of reloads (38 spl) through it in the last 2 1/2 months. Also am reloading the 357 mag cartridges just below maximum and don't find it a problem after 100 rounds of these.

+1 on the Hogue grips for range time.

YMMV

Jim

Old John

I Love my SP101, .357 magnum.

I have used mine for every day, CCW, for about 7 years. It is not a 3" but a 2.25". I carry it in a Galco open top, S/S, high-ride pancake holster.

I have never carried .38 specials in mine. Although I have used them for practice a couple times. It's a .357 magnum. So, that's what I carry.
I've used everything from 110 gr. SJLHP's to 158 gr. JHP's. Even a 110 gr.
.357 magnum is better than a .38 special, AISI.
Honestly, I live rural, and the only thing I've ever killed is a 4' copperhead snake. A 110 gr. HP blew that snake it two.
Oh, and I ran across a 2nd one in great shape, so, I bought it for a spare, JIC. My DSW shoots it just fine too.
Have fun!

jmortimer

Had a SP 101 3" and traded it in. Trigger was much bettter than I expected and it was accurate. For me, a 27 ounce small 5 shot revolver is too heavy and yet it is too light to really shoot full power .357 mag loads.Too much of a compromise in every way, low firepower, heavy for size and yet not heavy enough. For me you either go really light 15 ounces +/- or at around 27 ounces you might as well have a gun with more firepower. It did not make sense as a nightstand gun as a GP100 or 686 S&W would be better. It is a great gun but just not for me.

zombie44

I have a sp101 2", it's very accurate but wow Ruger put some ridiculously strong springs in them. My SRH Alaskan 44 mag has a waaay smoother trigger and hammer. Good news, it's very easy to disassemble to replace those springs :D

longranger

Just sold mine .357 Mag 3" Wilson spring kit High Polish S.S.,guy bought it so "his wife could put it in her purse and beat the hell of any attacker".His words ,true story. Nice gun,not sorry to see it go,replaced it with a 1961 Colt Detective Special,that will stay.:D

jimbob86

I like mine.

Full power .357 (158g at 1225) are not comfortable to shoot very long..... My tough guy little brother dubbed it "Li'l Nasty"..... but I like the gun. It is accurate for it's small size and rudimentary sights. Built like a tank. Comfortable to carry OWB, but I have not found a way to carry it IWB that is more comfortable than my EMP.

I sometimes wonder if I would rather have had the .327 ...... six shots and milder recoil.... but I don't rally want to start stocking another caliber.

napg19

Love my 3" SP101. Traded my G19 for it. With practice you could get as good with it as you want. Yes the .357 mags can be a handfull. I put Houge monogrips on mine and it tamed it right down and easier to grip. Yes it is heavy, but if it looks like a situation is about to happen you have the same comfortable feeling with it as you do you're G19. As soon as my holster from Simply Rugged arrives it will be even easier to carry. I have found over the last 2 years of carrying various guns that any weapon, IMHO, is heavy to carry. I'm not trying to be a smart guy here, but there's times I look at it as the price we pay for the freedom we've all earned to be able to carry. God Bless and Take Care.:D

jimbob86

Mine had the Hogue grips on it when I got it- more comfortable to shoot, for sure, but my shirts "climbed" them..... not only that, but the larger grip makes it near impossible to use a speed loader- not enough clearance. A 5 shot gun that is difficult to reload quickly is not a good Carry gun, IMO. I put the stock grips back on.

MK11

I haven't had trouble with Safariland speedloaders with the Hogues but maybe HKS is different.

The SP101 is excellent, the biggest drawback out of the box is the trigger. Not just because it's heavy and gritty but the trigger itself has sharp edges. I sent mine off to Gemini Customs and I'm thrilled with the result. Whether you should have to buy a stock gun and then send it off for custom work to make the trigger acceptable is another story...

jglsprings

Ruger SP101

m1_abrams_tank_5.jpg

Shooting full power 357 loads with the Ruger.

0902dp_02_z+m1_abrams_tank+cannon_blast.jpg

All kidding aside, the Ruger is a great gun. Any of the short barrel 357's are going to take some practice to shoot well. If the Glock fits your hand and works well for you it is an awesome weapon also. Accuracy in handguns has WAAAAAY more to do with the shooter and the fit of the weapon rather than any inherent accuracy of either platform.

You are really comparing apples and oranges here.

epic4444

Ya i love my glock but i also love revolvers espcially 3 inch barrels. I saw the 3 in SP101 while shooting my glock two days ago and fell for it instantly. I have medium sized hands and the gun fits them great. Im most likely going to buy one. Never owned a handcannon but i'll be excited for this little powerhouse.

Spenser

The two inch bobbed hammer version is a great carry gun, though we've noted on another thread a bit heavy for pocket carry. I also think the double action is a bit heavy, but manageable. 38p+ is a good ammo choice for that gun. A good, dependable carry gun, in my humble opinion....