Ruger SP101 .327 Fedmag, Ruger answers

Wayward_Son

Please do not let this thread derail onto the topic of debating the merits or shortcomings of the .327 mag cartridge. This thread addresses my personal experiences with the SP101 .327 mag and Ruger's customer service.

I ordered my SP101 .327 on March 5, 2008. It has now been just over six months since I placed the order (and put down the $50 deposit). So far my dealer has not received the gun. Granted, my dealer has also not bothered to call either his distributor or Ruger for an update, which is frustrating.

As a result, I spent about 45 minutes today contacting Ruger. That's not a large amount of time, but it's still a pain in the arse to have to wait over six months for a gun and then make all of the phone calls to get some kind of answer that explains the delay. I'm a little ticked at my dealer for not doing this for me but I'm more ticked at Ruger for not doing something to ramp up production for a gun that they heavily promoted with Federal and created all kinds of internet advertising and hype, but have not created enough to satisfy the demand that they created.

So, here is my experience.

I look up the number for Ruger on the internet. I find this number: 603-865-2442.

I call it and get a person who sounds unhappy and frustrated. She tells me that Ruger makes firearms in batches and that batches are released to distributors on some kind of schedule. I knew that already. I asked her repeatedly (and politely) if there was any way of knowing when those batches would arrive. She assured me that they were on there way but also that there was no way for her to know when they might reach the dealers. I asked her repeatedly if there was anyone that I could speak to that could give me more information. She said "no", so after we were done I called the same number a second time.

This time I got someone else on the phone who started to give me the same answer but then gave me another number to call: 928-778-6555.

This time I got someone who seemed more willing to help me but couldn't because that happens to be the number for semi-auto handguns and the semi-auto pistol-caliber carbines. She gave me the number for the proper department that produces revolvers and then transfered me directly to that number.

When she directed me I eventually got a message that all staff were busy and to try back at a later time. I hung up and immediately called back at the number I was given.

That number is 203-256-3865. I spoke with Linda. While she wasn't overflowing with enthusiasm (which does get old after awhile) she did assure me that the guns were on the way. While I wasn't swayed by her assurances, she did tell me that the guns were on the way. When I told her that I had placed my order over six months ago she asked me for the name of my dealer. I gave it to her. She asked me for the address and phone number, but the business card I have for it only gives a phone number. She also asked me if I knew who my dealer's distributor was, but I did not. I wish I did, because if I had been able to supply that piece of information it might have sped this process up just that much more. I ended up giving her the name of my dealer, his number, his location (Beaumont, TX), as well as my name and number. She told me she would try to speed things up, and I can only assume that she means she will try to cut some corners and get one of these SP101's headed to my dealer even if I am not "in line" on the list of people that have ordered these guns. Apparently they are shipped to dealers based on where those dealers fall by who ordered guns by which date. If a thousand people ordered these guns at their dealers before I did, then those guns would be shipped to those dealers before "my" gun is ever shipped to my dealer where I can go pick it up.

That's pretty much exactly how I thought it worked anyway, but I was glad to hear that she would try to get the gun to me ASAP. I'm also glad she took my name and number as well as my dealer's name and number.

Whether that means the gun will get here any quicker remains to be seen. I hope it does. If it does not than I will be that much more perturbed. I've been as patient as I care to be. I can certainly be more patient, but come on... it's not like making this SP101 .327 would require extensive retooling of the factories or anything. After all, Ruger already makes an SP101 in .32 H&R... all that needs be done is to ream out of cylinder bores a bit further, or just add a new cylinder with more heat-treated strength... the infrastructure so to speak is already there.

It seems like Ruger's sales philosophy is this: We'll hype up this new cartridge, make promises on its potential. However, instead of releasing the gun we'll make absurdly small batches of the gun and release them in waves to keep demand high.

At first glance, this seems like a sound business choice as far as keeping demand high and resource cost low (IE: guaranteed to sell every item they produce). However, the result is that demand is so high and supply so low that good paying customers are ticked off because they still don't have the item they ordered half a year ago (or more!).

If there are any Ruger employees reading this (as I imagine there may be... companies often have people perusing the web to keep a tab on the pulse of the customers), I have this to say:

Look, I bought your hype. I like the new cartridge, and I like the gun. I'm convinced. I'm sold. You've got a customer here. I even put down a deposit. I even bought 240 rounds of the new ammunition, even though the price was astronomical.

SO GIVE ME MY GUN ALREADY!

Your sales/marketing model is only serving to tick off customers and potential customers. That doesn't help you. Meanwhile, there are plenty of customer who would like to buy your new product, and giving them that product would keep them happy as well as put money in your coffers.

Getting these guns out helps you.

Keeping them restricted does not help you as much.

Where's the beef? I'm sold on your product, so why can't I have it?

Kreyzhorse

Good luck. Sorry to see Ruger and Federal dropping the ball on this roll out. Guns aren't available and ammo is pretty scarce. I'll be really curious to see if other makers pick up this cartridge.

If I'm not mistaken however, Charter Arms might be offering a revolver in .327.

Smaug

Wow. It sounds like your dealer has dropped the ball at least as much as Ruger. It is not good customer service your dealer is providing by not pushing at all, even after 6 months. He must be awfully confident that you'll remain his customer.

It sure is frustrating when I can't get a hold of someone at a company who actually has the power to help me. That is when a company is getting too big or too beaurocratic.

Based on this and other threads, I'm forming an opinion on Ruger's Customer Service that they're slow and sometimes disorganized, but that they eventually do the right thing.

Now if I were you, I would copy your original post into Ruger's online customer service request form. You've done all the calling, which usually works. Putting it in writing, either in their online form or in the mail will make sure that the right people at Ruger hear of your plight. If it doesn't get handed upstream to company bigwigs, at least the lower-down people will make sure you're happy so that it doesn't get that high.

As a last resort, you could write a letter addressed to: "CEO, Sturm, Ruger & Co." I bet things would happen fast once he gets your letter. Because of my corporate job, I oftentimes don't have a ton of respect for company officers, but at least they know how to make people happy and satisfied.

mkg

Wayward_son, I know you have placed a deposit. I just happened to be looking for an SP101 357 and noticed gunbroker has several 327 mags listed .

Mike

robhof

robhof

I'm shocked, I've dealt with Ruger customer service on several occasions and have gotten excellent results. On other blogs; many Ruger owners rave about their customer service. I have with other dealers sent letters and emails addressed to the ceo to complain about bad service. I've usually gotten a reply; enough complaints to the right party usually gets results.

Wayward_Son

Thanks for the replies. Smaug, I might take your advice on pasting my story into a letter to Ruger's online customer support. Before I do that I'd like to see what happens in the meantime. Linda told me she would see what she could do to speed up the process and I'd like to give her a chance to make good on her word before I start firing off letters to the CEO, know what I mean?

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your Redhawk. Looks like it was a complete fluke and I hope Ruger resolves the situation to your satisfaction. Personally I think a new gun is in order, as that would show they truly stand behind their product.

MKG: Yes, I've noticed that there are .327 SP101s available on Gunbroker, but I'm wary about ordering one. I'm somewhat new to purchasing firearms as I just started my collection with the purchase of a S&W 686P back in January (which just happens to be at S&W right now for warranty repair :rolleyes:). How does it work with Gunbroker? Do I have to notify my dealer that I'm using him as the FFL before I make the purchase? Or do I just make the purchase and it gets sent to him? What exact information do I have to give Gunbroker regarding the FFL before I make a purchase?

If it's truly easier to just buy it online, then I'll go that route. However, like I said above, I'd like to give Linda at least a few weeks or so to see if Ruger can get the ball rolling. If I don't have the gun within a month or so then perhaps I'll just cancel my order, collect my deposit and then buy the gun online. We'll see what happens.

Kreyzhorse: I know Charter Arms is selling two guns for the .327, one a snub and the other a 4" version. Beaumont's Gander Mountain has one of the 4" guns (priced at nearly $700!!). I checked it out and it is a complete piece of trash. I wouldn't give $75 for that hunk of scrap.

tulsamal

It seems like Ruger's sales philosophy is this: We'll hype up this new cartridge, make promises on its potential. However, instead of releasing the gun we'll make absurdly small batches of the gun and release them in waves to keep demand high.

Even worse when it comes to the new five shot .480's. I waited for over a year after they announced those. Ruger was going to finally make the five shot .480 Alaskan that I had wanted in the first place. They announced it, they talked about it. Jeff got one to review.... then more months went by. Finally Bud's listed them as available. Then a couple days later they didn't have them any more. Then Ruger announced they were discontinued due to low sales?!?!?! How can you complain about low sales when you apparently made about 100 of them?!?!

So I still didn't get one and I'm rather ticked at whomever makes these "decisions" at Ruger!!!

Gregg

XD45Sooner

Sorry to hear that. I was looking for the same gun and my local range has three in stock. Hopefully Ruger and your dealer will get this straightened out for you soon. Good luck buddy

mkg

Wayward_son, In the past all I have done is get your local dealer to fax a copy of his current FFL to whomever you are buying from . The Seller then can ship the gun to your local shop.

It's really painless except for the waiting .

Mike

Smaug

Wayward Son - Go look at the FAQ's at Gunbroker. when you sign up for an account, they explain everything very clearly.

Basically, the seller has to have a copy of your dealer's FFL on file. If they don't have it, your dealer has to send a color copy of his FFL to the seller. Then, the seller ships the gun next day to your dealer. Your dealer will then take delivery of the gun, charge you a fee, and do the required paperwork before giving you the gun.

It isn't bad, just takes a lot more time than buying locally.

Shipping a gun next day is not cheap, $40-60, and the fee your dealer charges can be $25, and some dealers will not even do it, because they want you to buy from them, not someone online. So check with your dealer first.

I've found that by the time I add $60-100 for all the shipping & fees, I don't save enough to make it worth the hassle.

tulsamal

Shipping a gun next day is not cheap, $40-60, and the fee your dealer charges can be $25

You definitely have to figure in your shipping and transfer costs when you are figuring the whole thing out. That's why I resist buying from anybody that just wants to say, "Shipping: actual cost." Who knows what the cost will turn out to be? Most sellers will give you a fixed amount. People really don't like putting "Shipping: $55" so a lot of people will just say a fixed $25-$35 and the "extra" will come out of the sale price of the gun. (This is all about handguns. Rifles and shotguns are far cheaper to ship.)

So if I'm looking for a S&W M58, I will mentally add the shipping and transfer to the price while deciding what to bid. If shipping is $35 and my dealer transfer is $20, I'll add that on to my maximum bid. If I don't want to go over $600 total, then I can't bid over $545. If you are comparing that to local costs, first you have to decide if you can even get them locally. I don't see nice M58's on dealer shelves locally very often. If at all! So sometimes buying online is really the only way to get something you want for your collection. The other thing is that you have to consider sales tax. My local sales is 9.5%. So if I find a local gun for $575, I have to mentally tack on that extra $55! (That sales tax can cover a lot of shipping and transfer fees. You don't pay sales tax on a gun you paid for out of state and which was only shipped in for transfer!)

Finally, shipping can be done more cheaply. I keep an eye out for sales from actual dealers. An FFL can ship a handgun to another FFL in the US Mail for a whole $12. That can make the difference to buy or not buy!

Gregg

nutty ned

This .327 mag thing is really strange, some dealers get guns in and sell them over the counter with no waiting list and other places there is a line.
No ammo in places and plenty of ammo in others.
I think it is the get up and go of the LGS.
The lgs here had several, sold out and got more. Always had ammo and has had all 3 .327 loadings + the other .32 rnds the gun shoots.
Don't understand it unless higher volume dealers are getting special treatment.

Sevens

In the last couple of years, Ruger has been producing a catalog that sits in some gun stores and is put together like a glossy cover magazine. The front half of it is articles on the guns, the people and the business, the back half of it is glossy photos, stock numbers, a typical catalog.

Anyhow, one of the newer ones has a big article on the SR9 and the "new" philosophy of Ruger to specifically not hype guns long before delivery. They stated that they've done that in the past and burned themselves and their customer base so their new philosophy is supposed to be that they do all their R&D and production, then present a new product to the media and press and deliver the first shipment of those new guns in the same week.

Now-- perhaps that is only for entirely new models (SR9, LCP) and not simply new chamberings in current revolvers (SP101) but this pretty much annoys me as well because the article made a pretty big point about doing things differently now since so many people have been turned off in the past.

Perhaps your dealer just isn't in the "old boys network" that gets the first releases and you are the end user getting shafted because of it.

Either way, I'm with you... so much hype and no product and that stinks.

Wayward_Son

Well I found a solution to my problem. I found a .327 SP101 at the Cabela's in Baton Rouge, LA. I can't buy it and pick it up in LA since I'm not a resident here, but I could purchase it and they could send it to an FFL in Beaumont and I could do the paperwork there. That's all fine and dandy, but all the FFL's that I deal with in Beaumont are still without electricity, so none of them can fax over their FFL information.

Well, the guy at the counter didn't even have this one on display. It was sitting in its box in back while there were several other .357 SP101 snubbies in the display case. He said the .327 model receives virtually no attention, so he put it in back until someone came in and asked for it. When we started discussing ways in which I could somehow put it on layaway, he told me that they can hold a gun for someone, but the normal hold time is only five days. However, due to my circumstances and due to the lack of interest in the .327, he would waive the hold time. He'll hold it indefinitely for me until my FFL in Beaumont gets power. Then he can fax over the information, I'll buy the gun with my credit card over the phone, the gun will be shipped to my dealer, and then I'll pay my dealer the $25 transfer fee and sign the paperwork. Looks like I'll finally have my gun!

Only thing I don't like about the situation is that I'll end up canceling the order I placed with my dealer, which means I won't be giving Linda a chance to do what she said she'd do. I feel like I'm giving her the raw deal here, you know? I asked for something, she said she'd try to make it work, and then before I can give her a chance I say "never mind". I feel pretty lousy about that. Call me crazy. I guess in my mind the justification is that she may not be able to speed up the process and if I don't buy this gun at Cabela's then I could still end up waiting several months for the one I ordered through my dealer.

In any case, in the next couple weeks I should finally have the gun and will be able to give it a review here on TFL.

Master Blaster

Some dealers and wholesalers are more ambitious than others.
Some just get lucky.

My club FFL gets guns at wholesale for me, and will call several distributers when I ask him to until he finds the model I want.

I try to never be the Beta tester for new products, OTOH I walked into a local store, where I get good prices on used guns, a couple years ago when Ruger released the XR grip framed Vaqueros and they had gotten one, I bought it and it was perfect, amonth or so later American rifleman ran a story and ads for this gun. The owner of the store told me they had requests for them, and couldnt get a single one for the 15 people they had waiting for about 6 months. I had really lucked out.

Call some other dealers, they may have one.

JMHO YMMV

Sarvisian

The guns are out there and have been for quite some time. Ruger doesn't sell guns to individual dealers, only distributors, blaming Ruger is a bit of a stretch. Your dealer could get you one if they wanted to maybe pick up a phone and make a few calls. Heck, you found one yourself with small effort on your part, so how is this a Ruger issue?

I have mine and love it, great round that has been needed for a long time to replace the 32/20 and give a good option for a six shot snubby. Can't wait for a Single-Six version. Hope it takes off if only to tick off the message board naysayers.

batmann

Ruger has a history, as do other manufactures, of hyping a new product before they have the abilty to produce in quanity. Your best bet is to complain to your dealer, he's the one with your money. He, not you, should be the one the horn trying find you one.