ruger sp101 22lr

mdd

I don't know why but I like the idea of this gun. If there was one in stock anywhere local I'd probably buy it after getting to fondle it. But there's none to be found around here. I think it would be a lot of fun as the lil 22 is my favorite plinking round. I grew up shooting my old man's s&w 22 revolver but I think he let it go as fodder in some horse trading.
Any of you handled or, better yet, had an opportunity to shoot ruger's new 22 revolver? I'd sure like to hear your opinion.
thanks
Michael

aarondhgraham

I've fired one,,,

That danged fiber optic front sight surely messed up the looks,,,
But it is very easy to see and the gun handles well.

I only put one cylinder through it,,,
But it seemed worth it's price.

If I didn't have a K-frame and a J-frame .22 revolver,,,
I would be looking at one myself.

Aarond

9x19

Lots of info at the Ruger Forum.

Seems Ruger had some forcing cone issues with the latest versions, and the cylinder throats are sometimes a bit loose.

I owned a couple of the older versions, but neither one would shoot with my S&W 63.

My opinion: Shop around for a good older S&W 63.

JayCee

I got one of the first ones. It was miserably inaccurate, so I sent it back to Ruger. They replaced the barrel and crane, and I replaced the 14 pound hammer spring with a ten pound one. With the factory spring, the double action trigger pull was pretty grim, and cocking the hammer for single action shooting was a real thumb buster. Now, both the double action and single action trigger pulls are pretty good; I'd even say better than most of the other Ruger double actions I've owned. I get a misfire every so often in double action, but since it's a plinker, I don't really worry about that.

I'm not crazy about the fiber optic front sight, but that's not a fatal flaw. I can generally hold an inch or so at 15 yards, which is fine for plinking purposes. It's been the gun I grab lately when I go out for a plinking session...

22-rimfire

I also have not seen one in a retail gunshop. Initially I was probably going to buy one, period. But I own S&W M17's, M18, and a M63. I recently purchased both the Ruger LCR-22 and the Ruger SR22 pistol. I don't think I'm going to buy one of these new SP101's in 22.

Doug S

I went to the local gun store yesterday to get one. Previously they had two in stock. They were sold out when I got there, and I was told they didn't know when they'd be able to get more in. I'd like to get one at some point. In the meantime, I checkout out the Ruger single actions, and was tempted, but decided on a 3in SP101. I think it will make a fun range and woods gun.

GunsmithSEO

I like the idea, although haven't seen one in person yet. I love Ruger revolvers and the 22, so I look forward to them working the kinks out.

On a side note, I was amazed how many manufacturers, including Ruger, revealed 22 versions of their firearms at SHOT show.

22-rimfire

Have not shot the SR22 yet; got it on Monday. It feels very good in my hand and seems to point well. I like the sights. I bought it as a fun gun, so I am not expecting serious target accuracy. Hence if it shoots okay and doesn't jam a lot, I'll be satisfied. There have been some reviews from new owners over at RimfireCentral if you are interested in going over there.

jibberjabber

I have one. It feels great and shoots very well. No issues at all after about 500 rounds of Federal bulk ammo, 200 rounds of CCI Mini Mags and also some Aquila Super Colibri (very quiet through this gun, and you don't have to worry about it not cycling like you would with a semi-auto .22).

The sights were out of alignment when I first examined it, but they're easily adjustable. The double action trigger is heavy, but with all the cheap trigger time it's either gotten a lot better or my trigger finger is a lot stronger. You could always change springs or whatever, I tend to just keep things stock and become accustomed.

I mentioned in another thread how solid it is. And for me, it has a very classic revolver look which I like.

jibberjabber

Just to clarify, I was responding to the OP's interest in the SP101 .22lr revolver, not the tangent about the SR22 (of which I have no experience).

roaddog28

I handled one today and tried the double action trigger pull. Too heavy for me. I would have to work on the trigger. Right now its a single action revolver and I have a Single Six with a lot better trigger.
Best 22 LR double action revolver out there is the S&W K frame or L frame 617.
Regards,
Howard