Ruger SP101 .22LR............how'd I do?

rantingredneck

A fellow on our local forum offered one for sale recently for $450.00. In box with paperwork. A 2002 model. A couple of light handling marks but otherwise LNIB with all paperwork. Locks up tight as a bank vault.

In lieu of cash, I offered in trade a case of XM193 ammo I had in the closet. We did an even swap. I paid a bit less for the ammo than his asking price, but given current circumstances I felt like it was a fair deal on both sides.

I've seen these .22LR models for sale for upwards of 600.00 so overall I think I did pretty good.

I wanted the .22LR because:

1) I'm a Ruger nut.
2) Cheap practice with a .22LR version of a gun I regularly carry.
3) I was absent a .22LR handgun at the moment and this filled that void.
4) Did I mention I'm a Ruger nut?

Opinions of these .22LR models? I hope to get to shoot it this weekend or next.

hoytinak

Dang nice find. That's one I really wish Ruger'd make again. I think you'll be very impressed with it....after all, it is a Ruger. ;) Had one years ago but my mother pawned it off when I first joined the military (along with several others) and never got them back. :mad: Looks like I need to start visiting the Carolina forum again. :)

But...it didn't happen without pics. :D

DWARREN123

Pretty good guns but the 22lr model gets extremly dirty so be prepared to clean often. They have it over semi autos in that they fire all sorts of 22lr ammo and I have fired 22 long and short from them as well but it was more accurate with 22lr.

22-rimfire

I wouldn't mind owning one just because I like rimfire revolvers. I say the same thing about the Taurus Model 94. I've handled many of the rimfire SP101's and always felt the trigger was just too stiff. This is back when they were $350ish or less. My guage are Smith Model 17's and Colt Diamondback triggers.

rantingredneck

It's definitely not a target gun, but the trigger in SA is pretty clean. I'm used to Ruger revolvers and semi's though so I can manage a fairly heavy trigger pretty well.

I'm just happy to be able to practice with the SP101 platform without spending the $ on .38 and .357 ammo.

My usual carry gun (when I move up from the LCP) is the 2.25" SP101 stoked with .38+P's.

WAR

one of the all time great DA 22 kit guns

I own several Ruger SP101's and one of them is the discontinued 22LR model. I love this gun, the 4" barrel and rear sight! Ruger should offer the rear sight on their 357 models SP's too. I put a 10 lb wolf spring in mine. I shoot it double action only, and the accuracy is almost magical. However I found lighter wolf springs in my 357 cal SP's did work very reliable and changed back to the factory springs. I would rank the SP101 22LR as one of the all time great DA 22 kit guns along with the S&W 63. As said in the previous post it makes great companion training partner to its bigger cal brothers in the SP101 family. Rantingredneck this will be one of those guns to hand down to the next generation shooters in your family, enjoy.

Jim March

Cheap practice with a .22LR version of a gun I regularly carry.

That's the right reason.

Ruger doesn't really make a trainer-equivelent to the New Vaquero - the Single Six is on a different frame size. Since the NewVaq is basically a Colt SAA with a modern safety (and internal mods) I have a Cimarron Plinkerton as the NewVaq's 22LR trainer.

rantingredneck

But...it didn't happen without pics.

I ordered a set of cocobolo grip panels from "41Magnum" at Rugerforum.net so I thought I'd celebrate with some pictures:

DSC01316.jpg

Kreyzhorse

Nice find.

I've got a S&W .22lr (don't remember the model number) that was built on the 686 frame. It's really nice to have have the option of shooting .22lrs out of what is one of your favorite frames.

Congrats on the find and I hope you enjoy it.

passintime

I am thoroughly jealous, as this gun continues to elude me and my humble collection. Everytime I find one, usually on gunbroker, they want more than I am willing to spend. Great gun, and I love 41 magnum's grips. Have some myself.

Greguw

There nice guns , I have 4 that I bought back in the day , as others have said they are not a accurate shooter but are built like a tank ... there good for 22 shot shell snake rounds .
I would not pay the going market prices these guns are bringing , I would rather pay the extra dough and get a nice 617 , k22 or a colt diamond back .

Just my 2 cents .

daizee

I found this thread because I had a stupid moment today (low blood sugar?) and was wondering what my 4" .22 SP is now worth in cash or trade.

Sounds like you made a good deal.
Mine went for just south of $400 three years ago (I had some store credit, so it felt cheaper!).

The gun is much more accurate than it gets credit for. The trigger IS a bit heavy. I've dressed my internals a bit according to the IBOK, but not tried lighter springs yet.

resting across a bench without bags I can do about 2.5" at 50ft. That's with a lot of glare on the front sight. At 50yds I can hold about 3x that, which is passable. Plinking at debris on the 50yd berm is good fun with the little thing. I've had some shocking moments shooting Stingers. It really loves them. Also Velocitors. Normally it just gets the Federal bulk packs. It would be more at home plinking out in the back 40 - if I had a back 40. :-(

My notes say SA: 4.8lbs, DA 11lbs. Dunno if that's before or after smoothing the action. Geez. Probably before.

The factory grip is rather small, and something larger can help practical accuracy.

-Daizee