Ruger snobs at gun show - missed out.

RodTheWrench

In replying to another post about gun shows, I remembered something that happened to me this past weekend at the show here in SLC.

I had an MKII, 6" tapered barrel, blued with white "Red Eagle" grips, 2 "Red Eagle" mags, the original yellow box and instructions on my table. Nothing super special, just a nice old Ruger 22 in excellent condition.

Well, 2 guys about 10 years older than me came up and started looking it over while I was talking to someone else, but I could tell one of them was excited about it - I'll call him Guy#1. After a minute I was able to say "Hi, how are you guys doing today?" and it wasn't all the way out of my mouth when Guy#2 starts pointing out everything wrong with the gun, the corner wear on the box, etc etc. and, apparently of supreme importance, the WARRANTY CARD WAS MISSING. I said something along the lines of "Huh, that's too bad.", then started talking to Guy#1. He seemed nice enough, but apparently his buddy has never read "How to Make Friends and Influence People" because he kept at it, running the gun down and repeating at least twice that the gun wasn't worth that much because the WARRANTY CARD WAS MISSING. After a bit, Guy#1 offers me $100 less than what I was asking - he didn't seem too sure, so I figured his friend told him to lowball me. I thanked him, but said I'd hold onto the gun for that. They hung around for about 30 seconds more, Guy#1 asked if I was sure, and I said "Yep." Guy#2 said something like "OK, good luck selling that." and they wandered off.

So another guy comes up, something like 20 minutes later and asks to look at the gun. He comments on how nice it is, we chat about how fun 22s are to shoot and such things. After a couple minutes, he looks down at the price card I had laying in front of the box and asks "Would you take 20 bucks less than what you're asking?" to which I replied "For you? Sure." He paid, we exchanged UT ID info and off he went.

Now HERE'S the part that made me laugh. Not 2 MINUTES after the gun was gone, here's Guys#1&2 back at the table staring at the blank spot where the yellow box had been. Guy#1 looks like somebody kicked his dog, and he's almost afraid to ask, but somehow squeaks out "Did you sell it?". "Yep". "Well how much did you sell it for?". I fibbed a little and said I got what I was asking, I couldn't resist. They both turned and headed off, but I'm pretty sure Guy#2 was getting an earful from Guy#1 about it clear down the aisle.

:D

JimmyR

Sounds like your two "friends" tried to play games with you, and boy did it backfire.

What was that about attracting more flies with honey than vinegar?

Fishbed77

Well we have to ask - what did you sell it for?

My father has the exact same pistol with black grips. He's had it for 20 years now and it looks and shoots as good as the day he bought it.

Pilot

Great story. I have four Ruger MK II's so you could say I'm a fan. I always keep everything with them, but don't remember seeing a warranty card in any of them. I wouldn't care if it came with a damn card or not. I buy my guns to shoot.

mitchntx

Probably gonna be flamed ...

Sounded like Guy 2 was there to help Guy 1 get a "deal" and didn't necessarily consider himself better than you. If true, why would they have returned?

Guy 2 an ass? No doubt.

However, when you reveled in their perceived loss ...

skoro

They both turned and headed off, but I'm pretty sure Guy#2 was getting an earful from Guy#1 about it clear down the aisle.

Apparently Guy#2 never learned that being an obnoxious jerk rarely pays off.

MJFlores

I wouldn't call them Ruger snobs...they just sound like gun show jerks to me. They are what's wrong with gun shows, gun clubs, and good ole boy gun shops.

Hawg

Apparently Guy#2 never learned that being an obnoxious jerk rarely pays off.

Sometimes it does. I went to a gun show once and a guy had a decent looking trapdoor carbine with a broken mainspring. He had 500 on it but he wasn't there and had a friend watching his booth while he was gone and I really wanted to try to talk him down to 400. He said he'd be right back so I waited. While I was waiting I found a Colt series 70 1911 for 400 that was a little on the rough side and the seller wasn't coming down one penny. After about an hour the one that owned the carbine came back. I asked if he would take 300 for it and he started in on how long he'd had it and what he gave for it. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that spiel I wouldn't be working now:D. Anyway at that point I knew I was leaving with the 1911 so I just said look, I don't care how long you've had it or what you gave for it. All I want to know is will you take 300 for it? He knew I was on the point of walking away and held out his hand and said yeah, I'll take 300.:eek::cool:

Pico

Haggle hassle

Typically I walk away if the transaction gets out of a situation where there is mutual respect and gentlemanly conduct. I won't shake hands with an obnoxious ass and I don't expect someone to shake hands with me if I come off as one too.

A potential buyer who shows contempt for something I'm selling and finds faults in order to get a lower price gets the move on signal from me. On the other hand, if someone asks politely if I would be willing to take a little less, I might just work with them.

It's all about keeping it classy and not acting like third world trade merchants.

Pico

Crankgrinder

Weve all seen stuff like that before. I think they already had that whole act worked out before they came in. Probably had done it a quite a few times before and if it was only 20$ difference you pretty much got what you wanted anyways. Cant blame a couple of guys for trying to score though. We all do it in some way or another. Good story, glad it worked out.

Venom1956

In my neck of the woods prices are pretty high at gun shows. So haggling is just part of it, but being respectful to the seller is pretty key in the process.

Now if I meet some one one on one ill bring what they were asking so atleast I'm mot wasting both people's time. Bit if the gun isn't as good as stated I have no issue backing out. Only two I caved was a mk2 I needed asap and my dw22 that was a good price but bit more heat up.then the pics showed

PetahW

Some folks just come naturally into being jerks - I watched/listened while one guy spent quite awhile in negotiating (successfully) a $25 price reduction on a gun, then walked away saying something like "OK, thanks - I'll be back later".

I've come to the conclusion that they're legends in their own minds...............:p

JERRYS.

market determines the price. if any of the guys did their home work theyd have known if you listed it fairly. if I see a fairly listed gun that I want I will haggle little if any pending extras it might have or OTD price being the same as sticker.

a descent deal for a buyer is paying whats its worth.

People feel powerful when they "get over on someone". A lot of people dont have the chance to do that in real life so they try it when they dont have anything to lose.

g.willikers

Here's something to try on those irritating know-it-alls.
The last time I did it, the guy trying to sell me a grossly overpriced, obsolete, mid 1980s era hot rodded 1911 came to a sputtering halt.
Just say "Well, you obviously don't know who you're talking to here.'
'I am the world's foremost authority on these."
Then don't say another word, and stand there staring at them.
Usually shuts them right up.

Nathan

Now this story blows me away! Usually I get that kind of blow hard chatter from the seller, but I'm sure buyers do it as well or worse.

IME, it usually goes:
Me: nice revolver (S&W 19-3 90% no box)
Seller: one of the best 38 specials ever made
Me: don't they shoot 357 mag also?
Seller: maybe, but just like a model 10, you don't want to shoot magnums...
Me: OK, <totally puzzled> uh how much?
Seller: $850, their kind of rare
Me: (hmm, do I offer the fair price of $500 or just walk away?) gee, that's a really nice gun <walking away>

So, what am I doing wrong? This has happened like 4 times when I brought money to buy...