Ruger Six series .44 special conversion?

absolute0

Just noodling around with some ideas for a custom revolver when it occurred to me that a Speed Six bored out to .44 caliber and fitted with a 5 shot cylinder would be an awfully cool gun to shoot and tote around.

Considering the Ruger's lock work, frame size and cylinder window, it might work - yes?

Jim Watson

It has been done.
Unfortunately, the gun is out of production and the shop (Devel) is out of business. You might canvass the Ruger gunsmiths that John Taffin has been plugging in American Handgunner and see if any of them would take it on.
(There was also a .41 Special conversion offered by some outfit, but that would be strictly a handloading proposition.)

Jim Watson

I think that one's been done, too.
Costs on this sort of custom, pretty much remanufacturing major parts like the cylinder and barrel, are very high.

absolute0

Thanks for the suggestions Jim!

A couple of my pals run the Mazak CNC distributorship here in the Twin Cities area, maybe I can persuade them to have one of their engineers build me up a cylinder from scratch as a class project :p

CraigC

Very few gunsmiths are doing five shot conversions on the new Ruger double actions and none are doing the old guns. There's just a lot more involved in doing these on DA's. Clements was the last I heard of doing five shot .44Spl's on the GP's but has since halted DA work to focus on SA's. It was last quoted at $1200 with a custom cylinder and a rebored barrel.