Ruger Single Six without .22lr cylinder

2damnold4this

A few months ago, I picked up a three screw (old model) Ruger Single Six from a pawn local pawn shop. It was a really good deal but only came with a .22 Mag cylinder. I'd like to be able to shoot .22lr out of it but I don't want to send it off to Ruger where the safety upgrade will be installed as I've heard they don't always return the old parts and they stamp the gun.

Is there another option for a .22lr cylinder or should I just enjoy the revolver's great trigger in .22 Mag?

shootbrownelk

Keep it as is. That's what I'd do. Or, search the internet for a .22 LR cylinder for it....but you'll have to get a 'smith to fit it.

bamaranger

cylinder

There is an "Old Model" cylinder, used and a bit tired looking, on Ebay right now for $149.00. A good 'smith (not a parts changer) should be able to fit same to your revolver.

I have not returned a vintage Bearcat to Ruger for the same reasons you have mentioned.

fourbore

I have a single six and only shoot the 22mag cylinder, but that is me. if I wanted the 2nd 22LR cylinder I would not hesitate to send it back.

Now, I have no idea what Ruger will charge for a cylinder. It might be a lot less than $150 PLUS your local gunsmith charges.

There is no collector value for a typical 3 screw single six in average used condition. COMPLETE & LNIB sure.

Ruger did not stamp mine and I got the old parts back. Then I heard the Russians were massing on the Canadian boarder for an invasion. You hear a lot of stuff. Did you call Ruger? Oh, maybe you heard they lie. Honestly I dont know, but it does not sound right to me. Why stamp a gun?

2damnold4this

According to this website, converted guns are stamped with an "R":

On the bottom of the frame, under the grip frame, there will be an “R” stamped. You have to take the grip frame off to see it, but if that “R” is there then it was converted by Ruger at some point.

I don't know how much, if any, the stamp and conversion changes the collector value but some people sure seem to care about it.

dgludwig

QUOTE: "...There is no collector value for a typical 3 screw single six in average used condition..."

This.^ And I'm not sure why anyone who isn't "collecting" them is so adverse to having their "five" shooter become a six-shooter at Ruger's expense. :confused:

Hawg

I bought one with just the mag cylinder and bought a LR cylinder off ebay and it fit and worked perfectly. Even the cylinder gap between the two was the same.

DAnjet500

Does the cylinder have the last three digits of the serial number etched on the front of it? If so, the cylinder came with the gun. Measure the length and then post a WTB on the Ruger Forum.com for a .22lr cylinder the same length or longer. You can have someone fit it and check function but in my experience it is not necessary. The length is the biggest issue. Cylinders go from $75 - 100.

If you decide to send it back to Ruger for the cylinder, they will put in the transfer bar and will return your old parts. If you still feel uneasy, take them out before you send it in.

jackmoser65

I'm not sure why anyone who isn't "collecting" them is so adverse to having their "five" shooter become a six-shooter at Ruger's expense.
You've obviously never handled a converted Old Model. :rolleyes:

Catfish

I bought a 3 screw without the mag. cylinder a few years back and picked up a mag. cylinder at a gun show. I got it pretty cheap.

shuswap

There is a company that makes a drop-in after market cylinder in 22 mag and 22. They make a 10 round 22LR cylinder. The cylinders appear to be very well made and are advertised to a drop-in replacement on most guns. Can't remember name of company but I believe Midway is the distributor. Do a Google search for replacement Ruger 22 cylinders.

John D

Some will say that any additional cylinder will have to be "fitted" to your revolver. But, I've got two Ruger Blackhawk convertibles in 38-40/10mm and I get the cylinders mixed up all the time with no problem. I would think that you would be able to find one that fits and works properly. If you're looking at a gun show, take your frame and make sure it fits.

Chainsaw.

Keep an eye on gun shows and gun broker. The cylinders can be found so I dont think you'll have to hard of a time if you are not to picky.

Ricklin

More accurate

I found my single six was slightly more accurate with the mag cylinder.
The mag bullet is one thou. larger than the LR bullet in diameter. Thus the barrel is bored for the mag bullet.

My understanding is the trigger is MUCH better on the old three screw models. Gonna have to look at the Midway link. How the heck do ya get a ten shot cylinder to work in a six shooter. Seems like there would be an issue with Cylinder timing.

SHR970

Just go to Numrich and buy a cylinder for it.

"Needs to be fitted" yeah sure. /sarc. If your gun is on the far side of one set of tolerances and the cylinder on the other you 'might' have some issues; otherwise it will be just fine.

2damnold4this

I appreciate the advice, guys. I'll try to find a used cylinder that fits and if that doesn't work, I can send the frame to Ruger to be fitted. I'm not in a hurry and it's fun to shoot the revolver with the .22 mag cylinder while I look for a .22lr cylinder.

James K

Member In Memoriam
"Cylinder needs to be fitted" was once very true with most makers, but with modern Rugers it seems to be more of a rote caution than any needed warning. I have swapped Ruger cylinders all around with no problems, but I will still say that fitting might be needed just to CMA.

Jim