Ruger Single Six cylinders

Hawg

Does anybody know for sure whether or not a cylinder for an old model will fit a new model?

Hawg

I always thought fitting was necessary.
Can you just try it?

If I could do that I wouldn't be asking.:D No, I got a steal of a deal on a new model but it only has the magnum cylinder. All the new model cylinders I can find are stainless, mine is blued. I found an old model blued online for half the going price for stainless new models. If it needs minor fitting to work that would be ok too. I just need to know if it's close enough. I know there was a design change in the way the cartridge heads are recessed but if it's dimensionally the same it should work.

You might get lucky and have it fit, but there are multiple considerations that make it unlikely. You will need to be concerned about:
  • Overall cylinder length (has to fit the window. Too long can be shortened, too short might be able to be shimmed)
  • Barrel-cylinder gap. Tough to fit by hand, especially since the magnum cylinder fits and you can't tinker with the barrel to compensate
  • Chamber-to-barrel alignment. The locking notches have to stop the cylinder in alignment with the bore

Hawg

You might get lucky and have it fit, but there are multiple considerations that make it unlikely. You will need to be concerned about:
Overall cylinder length (has to fit the window. Too long can be shortened, too short might be able to be shimmed)
Barrel-cylinder gap. Tough to fit by hand, especially since the magnum cylinder fits and you can't tinker with the barrel to compensate
Chamber-to-barrel alignment. The locking notches have to stop the cylinder in alignment with the bore

Well it would be a sad thing indeed if a top notch U.S. company can't have machinery precise enough to make thousands of the same thing exactly alike so they're a drop in fit but an overseas co. like Pietta that makes cheap reproductions can.

Just found out it will work. Thank you all for your time and opinions.:cool:

m&p45acp10+1

I would heavily advise against using a cylinder on a revolver that it was fitted to. A new cylinder a gunsmith can time to the revolver. Otherwise you end up with a cylinder that does not line up with the bore correctly. With .22 LR it would probably end up either misfiring, or spitting lead out of the cylinder gap.

Note that the cylinders on the single actions are hand fitted, and tuned on each one.

Note my Ruger Blackhawk it was writen in the manual to check the numbers on the cylinder to make sure they matched the last 3 digits of the serial # before firing it, and not to fire if they did not match, as sever damage to the gun. and sever injury and/or death to the shooter.

I think you can send it to Ruger. They will fit a new cylinder to your gun for a reasonable price if you pay the shipping.

Last edited:

johnbt

The last I heard Ruger would fit a centerfire cylinder for $50 plus $30 for the return shipping. That's just to fit one and doesn't include a new cylinder.

Hawg

Yeah they want more to fit a cylinder and shipping than I paid for the gun but read my last post. Nuff said.

Charger Fan

Yeah they want more to fit a cylinder and shipping than I paid for the gun
:eek::eek:!!
Sounds like either you got a smokin' deal on the gun, or they charge an exorbitant amount for shipping.:D Either way, nice job.

Hawg Haggen said:
Well it would be a sad thing indeed if a top notch U.S. company can't have machinery precise enough to make thousands of the same thing exactly alike so they're a drop in fit but an overseas co. like Pietta that makes cheap reproductions can.
But Pietta can't. And since I have fitted replacement cylinders to Pietta and Uberti six shooters, I can state definitively that they are not drop-in parts.

But go ahead. As I wrote above, you might get lucky.

FrankenMauser

The people responding in this thread were trying to help you avoid personal injury. But, you took an ignorant stance, and are now treating them like they are attacking you.

Feel free to shoot with your improperly fitted cylinder. Generally, .22 LR failures don't hurt people. But, who knows; you might get lucky.... :rolleyes:

Hawg

The people responding in this thread were trying to help you avoid personal injury. But, you took an ignorant stance, and are now treating them like they are attacking you.

Sorry if I came across like that. I finally got my old model single six cylinder. It fits and functions perfectly in my new model. Timing is perfect, cylinder gap is 0.003 which is exactly the same as the magnum cylinder it came with.

Hawg

But Pietta can't. And since I have fitted replacement cylinders to Pietta and Uberti six shooters, I can state definitively that they are not drop-in parts.

Funny but I've got three Pietta's that swap cylinders back and forth.

Jbar4Ranch

I bought a pair of New Model Single Sixes a few years ago w/magnum cylinder and no LR cylinders. I watched gunbroker for several months and picked up two old model cylinders in different auctions for a song because the sellers didn't know what they were. Both dropped right in and indexed fine, but one of them had a significant B/C gap - .016" or so, IIRC. I kept watching and picked up a third old model cylinder that also dropped right in and reduced the B/C gap to about .007". I put the other cylinder up for sale and the proceeds paid for all three.

Dan-O

I bought a .357 mag spare cylinder for my Speed Six off Gunbroker. The one that I bought definitely is not a drop in part. I can't even get the cylinder to close up all the way.

FrankenMauser

Sorry if I came across like that. I finally got my old model single six cylinder. It fits and functions perfectly in my new model. Timing is perfect, cylinder gap is 0.003 which is exactly the same as the magnum cylinder it came with.
I glad to hear that everything worked out for you.

You got lucky, though. ;)