Ruger Single Six cylinder

Mike38

I inherited a .22 caliber Ruger Single Six that was my Father‘s. If memory serves me, when he bought it new it came with two cylinders, .22 long rifle and .22 mag, but maybe I‘m wrong. When it was shipped to me from Arizona, all I got was the .22 long rifle cylinder. Can I just buy a .22 mag cylinder, or is this an item that needs fitted by Ruger? Thanks.

sheepman

Your best bet is to call Ruger. You can find used cylinders for sale but most will require fitting and probably cost more that just having Ruger do it. The over all length of the cylinder (from ratchet to tip of bushing) will vary from gun to gun and is fitted at the factory.

Daryl

Your best bet is probably to call Ruger.

And yes, the Super Single Six sells new with two cylinders; one in .22 LR and the other in .22 mag.

The estate wasn't handled by a feduciary called Childers & Berg, of Phoenix, was it? They're handlinig my dad's estate, and I don't recommend their services unless and until they give me a reason to believe they're capable and honest.

BConklin

I believe that one way to be sure it originally had two cylinders is that it would be stamped '.22 cal' (as opposed to .'22 LR' etc.) on the frame. At least that holds true for my Old Model 3 screw SS's

and speaking of Old Model 3 screw Single Sixes there's one big caveat about going the Ruger route: if you send it to Ruger - as far as I know, they will automatically install a transfer bar safety "upgrade" to the trigger mechanism and they will keep the parts you'd need to undo what they've done.

From what I gather - the result is a trigger that is nowhere near as nice as the original trigger on the Old Model.

Of course, with the "upgrade" you can carry the gun safely with all six chambers loaded - but I'd rather carry with the hammer down on an empty chamber and keep the original trigger intact...it's pretty sweet.

If the gun is a New Model 2 screw - and came with two cylinders originally - then definitely go the Ruger route.

BConklin

..I did a little scratching around on the internets and found that the vast majority of standard single sixes shipped with both magnum and long rifle cylinders. It doesn't seem as if any were marked '.22 LR' but some early ones were marked 'WIN. .22 RF MAG. CAL' and shipped as magnum only guns with magnum cylinders.

But since the gun was introduced in 1953 and the magnum 22 round in 1959, there was a period when guns shipped with only one cylinder and were marked .22 cal.

Last edited:
I bought a Single Six around 2001. Even then, the convertible with two cylinders was an option. I had to choose between a gun with only a .22LR cylinder, or one with both. (I don't recall that I was shown an option for .22WMR only.) I chose the convertible -- and, ten years later, I have never fired the magnum cylinder. But the point is, the "standard" gun did NOT include both cylinders, that was an option.

BConklin

If that's so then I guess it must have been an option you exercised when ordering the gun - as the spare magnum cylinders are stamped or engraved in the factory with the last three digits of the serial number.

Last edited:
BConklin said:
If that's so then I guess it must have been an option you exercised when ordering the gun - as the spare magnum cylinders are stamped or engraved in the factory with the last three digits of the serial number.

I'm sure I covered that. Ah, yes:

Aguila Blanca said:
I chose the convertible -- and, ten years later, I have never fired the magnum cylinder.

johnbt

"and they will keep the parts you'd need to undo what they've done."

They have never kept the original parts. I keep up with this because I still haven't sent my Single-Six Convertible in and I bought it in 1972. I've been thinking about it. :)

www.ruger.com/pdf/safetyOfferAd.pdf

"...we will return your original
parts for collector’s purposes."

BConklin

AB- not to split hairs - but if you read what I said originally, "standard single sixes shipped with both magnum and long rifle cylinders" then most people, like yourself, ordered both cylinders and so, the majority of standard single sixes were subsequently shipped with both cylinders.

As far as the term "standard single six" that's what Ruger called the old model single sixes - they had an aluminum grip frame and a steel frame. They also offered a lightweight gun with aluminum frame and grip frame, and they offered a "super single six" with steel grips frames and frame.

The magnum cylinder option was available for all but the lightweight version.

JohnBT - I have no firsthand knowledge of this, but I've read of several instances of single six owners not getting the original parts back. If you check the Ruger forums - the general consensus is to leave the Old Models in the original configuration. That's what I plan to do. If I want a "safer" gun I'll just buy a New Model.

BConklin said:
As far as the term "standard single six" that's what Ruger called the old model single sixes - they had an aluminum grip frame and a steel frame. They also offered a lightweight gun with aluminum frame and grip frame, and they offered a "super single six" with steel grips frames and frame.
At the time I bought mine, the "standard" Single Six, whether or not with the convertible .22WMR cylinder, came with "standard" SAA-style sights (a trench in the top strap). The "Super" Single Six was the model with adjustable target sights. Again, the convertible with the second cylinder was an option (actually, a different model number entirely).

DAnjet500

Ruger's Single Six revolvers were never catalogued "Standard". The original Ruger auto pistols were called "Standard Auto Pistols". They later became the Mark I, II and III.
The first Single Sixes were supplied with a LR cylinder only. After the release of the .22 WMR cartridge in 1959 Ruger produced a Single Six with a magnum cylinder only. Some of these guns are marked as such and have a serial number in the 3xxxxx range. During this time many owners of .22 lr Single Sixes requested Ruger fit their revolvers with a magnum cylinder. Ruger would do this on guns with a serial number of 150000 and later. That is the point where Ruger went to the compromised barrel bore for both the lr and magnum cartridge. In the early 60s Ruger then came out with the convertible, a Single Six with a lr and a magnum cylinder. Soon after the magnum only model was dropped. Most of the Single Sixes since then have been convertibles and the bore is the larger magnum size.
The use of "Super" with Single Six denoted adjustable sights and nothing else. All the early guns had fixed sights until the Super Single Six was released.
If you wish to know the original configuration of your Ruger firearm, call and ask for the records department. If you ask politely they will even send you a letter describing the gun and the original month the gun was shipped.
And Ruger will always return your original parts if you send an OM gun in for conversion or service.

Last edited:

Jim Watson

At the time I bought mine, the "standard" Single Six, whether or not with the convertible .22WMR cylinder, came with "standard" SAA-style sights (a trench in the top strap).

A single six with hogwallow rear sight is, I think, a fairly recent thing, sometimes called the Vaquerito. Early Single Sixes had a fixed sight in a cross dovetail.

BConklin

If you refer to Ruger's website http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#

Under the heading of Revolver Instruction Manuals & Product History, they have a listing for their "Old Model" Single Six - Standard Model (manufactured from 1953-1973)

I may very well have many of my facts wrong - but I stand by my original warning to the OP to beware of sending an Old Model Single Six back to Ruger unless it has already been updated.

A little investigation online will find many Old Model Single Six owners which urge anybody contemplating doing so, to remove the original parts before sending it to Ruger - or not to send it at all. They will also find reports of instances in which the original parts were not returned by Ruger.

It may be Ruger's policy to return those parts (I have an email to them waiting for a response) but, to me, it doesn't seem worth the risk. I'd sooner buy a cylinder on Gunbroker and have it fitted by a smith. There are plenty available.

Jim Watson said:
A single six with hogwallow rear sight is, I think, a fairly recent thing, sometimes called the Vaquerito. Early Single Sixes had a fixed sight in a cross dovetail.
I know that when I bought mine in about 2000 or 2001 I had to decide between the "standard" (my word, not from the Ruger catalog) version with the cowboy rear sight and the "Super" version (Ruger's word, this time) with the adjustable rear sight. The FFL talked me into the adjustable, and I have more or less regretted it ever since. It shoots well and it is nice to be able to dial it in -- but I grew up in the heyday of the television westerns, and the adjustable sight just doesn't look right on a six-shooter.

As to recent? The 50th Anniversary Single Six has the cowboy style rear sight. I'm pretty certain that's what came first.

Mvc-003f.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Gunblast.com)