Ruger Single Action Now Available Without Internal Lock

jtmckinney

If this has already been discussed I apologize. I was poking around the Ruger website and if this was available when I bought my 45 Convertible last December I sure missed it. Link to the Convertible page:

< http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html >

You can now purchase them with or without the internal lock.

I had to do some "Bubba" gun-smithing to get the Hogue Monogrip I like to work but this would have made that unnecessary.

Is this new, or did I just not pay enough attention when I ordered my Blackhawk?

Have a great day!
James

COLT_45

No Lock & No Warning Label Here

RUGER OM VAQUERO .45 COLT
CUSTOM HAND ENGRAVED
WARNING LABEL REMOVED
ACTIONED WITH SBH HAMMER
HOGUE FAUX PEARL GRIPS
BLACK HILLS LEATHER TEXAS
CUSTOM SILVER & PEARL CONCHOS

Attachments

• GUNS-RUGER VAQUERO ENGRAVED .45 COLT-MAIN.jpg
    GUNS-RUGER VAQUERO ENGRAVED .45 COLT-MAIN.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,059
Wow that is a purtty gun...must post..

attachment.php

Rifleman1776

I'm stumped.
What is an "internal lock"?:confused:
The gun is still equiped with the transfer safety bar.
But an internal lock is something I have only heard of on a few manually lockable guns, not common or popular.

rclark

The internal lock on the Ruger SA revolvers is a lock that sits in the bottom of the grip frame (the hammer spring sits on it). You take the grip panels off to access. Prevents cocking of the revolver when activated. Unless part :) . Glad to see it go.

Rifleman1776

rclark
The internal lock on the Ruger SA revolvers is a lock that sits in the bottom of the grip frame (the hammer spring sits on it). You take the grip panels off to access. Prevents cocking of the revolver when activated.

OK, I have looked at the owners manuals exploded views and took the panels off my own SS and see nothing like what you describe.
Not saying you are wrong. Ruger does say it is no longer used on their website.
But, can't see it, can't find reference in the owners manuals. :confused:
I'm still puzzled. Oh,well. If it is gone this is now a non issue and mute point.

gc70

Rifleman1776 said:
OK, I have looked at the owners manuals exploded views and took the panels off my own SS and see nothing like what you describe.

The internal lock is described on page 11 of the Single Six manual.

Rifleman1776

gc70, thank you for posting that. It does clear up the mystery. I never would have thought to look on Amazon.com for Ruger firearms owners manuals. I have never seen, or heard of that locking mechanism.
Glad Ruger dropped it. We do not need our gun loaded with gadgets dictated by state, local or federal regulations.

Lost Sheep

Rifleman1776 said:
I'm stumped.
What is an "internal lock"?
The gun is still equiped with the transfer safety bar.
But an internal lock is something I have only heard of on a few manually lockable guns, not common or popular.

I don't think it is completely gone, is it? It seems that it is now just an option to have or not to have.

The lock was always unobtrusive, being hidden under the grips (unlike S&W's, which is just above the cylinder release on their double action revolvers and looks like a corrosion pit and the direction arrow like a bad scratch.)

Ruger (thoughtfully and wisely) didn't even put an access hole on the grips to use the lock, but did (also thoughtfully) put a pilot hole on the underside of the grips if an owner did want to open it up for the lock. AT LAST! Marketing geniuses did something right.

And now, twice. They are offering the revolvers without the lock.

Good for Ruger.

Lost Sheep

But for those of us who bought when the locks were standard equipment ... can we remove them, and replace with non-locking factory parts?

feets

Yes and no. The lock equipped guns use different frames. The hammer spring and guide rod is different on the lock equipped guns. You'd need to replace the grip frame and guts on the Blackhawk to remove the lock.
Other guns may not be so easy.

jtmckinney

Does this mean the Ruger I have with the internal lock will be more collectible in the future?:D I would be interested in how many firearms they sell with the lock if you can purchase one without it for the same price.

I would think this is in response to market demands, if I had had the choice when I bought mine it would not have had the lock but I would probaby have purchased the firearm anyway. I wanted a Blackhawk and the 45 Convertible was ideal for what I wanted and at that time I also wanted a "Brand New" gun.

Other than not being able to get the grip I like to work without modifying the butt of the frame I do not find the lock to be obtrusive. It seems to be well made and I have never heard of it being un-reliable.

Have a great day!
James

Rifleman1776 said:
Thanks Aguila.
Looks like a thing that did not need to be invented. Just something to satisfy the 'anti's'.
Well, it is what it is. There are some states (mine included) that require all firearms sold to be "equipped" with a trigger lock. Considering that a great many handguns, including semi-autos, come with a cable lock dropped in the box or case, and a cable lock technically doesn't lock the trigger on a semi-auto, I can see why Ruger might have wanted to do something different. IMHO this is FAR preferable to the Taurus and S&W locks, which are exposed and visible. The Ruger lock is unobtrusive and, if you don't drill out the access hole in the grip panel, you can pretend it's not even there. I never think about it when handling my Blackhawk.

And yet ... looking at that photo makes me start to wonder if it would be possible to make up a non-locking dummy to replace the lock module, and if people would be willing to pay a couple of bucks for same as an alternative to buying a completely new grip frame (for BIG bucks).