Ruger Security Six Info Please

tonyz

I am looking for a ruger Security Six and would like some of my fellow TFL'ers feedback. The One I want needs to be
SS, 6" Barrel and in 95%+ condition can you tell me what the
going prices are in your area?
Also was there any Problem or information I sould no about.

Gunsling.gif

Thanks
Tony

[Edited by tonyz on 02-20-2001 at 12:21 PM]

Sport

Don't see many available.
For stainless in 95% condition
I would say $250 would be as high
as you'd want to go. $200 would
be as low as you could expect.

I'm basing that on the handful of
Service Sixes and Speed Sixes I've
seen recently for sale. Those are
running in the $225 range in blue,
but they are sitting in dealers
cases at those prices. These prices
are in east Tennessee.

About the only problem I'm aware of with the Ruger revolver is that Ruger doesn't make parts for them anymore. LAPD didn't adopt them because they felt the cylinder unit had too many parts; something which I don't see as a problem. I carried a Ruger Security Six for years and have a lot of confidence in those guns.

RON in PA

In SE PA they go for 250-300. Ruger does maintain a parts inventory for them, even if they no longer manufacture the guns or parts.

AIMHIGH

RUGER SECURITY SIX INFO.

Tonyz: In general, prices for the Security Six, usually run between $ 25 to $ 50 more, than a Service Six, on the average, on similar condition guns!

Since you mentioned that you were only looking for an approximate 95% condition gun, maybe, I shouldn't mention mine! It is a 6 inch, stainless, Security Six, in "Pristine", "Unfired" condition-but, it is a CA Sherriff's Dept(One of only 200)Commemorative: It is in an engraved walnut display case! It is truly as new, as the day Ruger manufactured it! I might consider selling it!

Lastly, it's true that Ruger doesn't manufacture parts anymore, for the Six Series revolvers-however, Ruger has plenty of parts on hand, at the factory, for repairs! One reason, that they still have such a good supply, is because not many Security Six/Service Six/Speed Six revolvers, have needed to be sent in for repair, as they are extremely tough, and, durable guns!

Sincerely;

AIMHIGH

tonyz

AIMHIGH

Your Revolver sounds great , But I am looking for a six that I wont mind firing once a week.
I am very anal about how my weapons are taken care of and look,no matter how many rounds have gone through them.
I found only one Security Six in the area so far that meets my requirements and its in about 95% condition but the owner won't come down below $325.00 at least not yet I think time is on my side.
Thanks for the info.

Best Tony

AIMHIGH

RE: Ruger Security Six Availability

Tonyz: I don't know if you've ever shopped GUNSAMERICA(www.gunsamerica.com)but, there are three (6 inch, Stainless)Security Sixes, on there now! It's not an Auction: You can E-Mail the Gun owner's, to negotiate! In any event, following, are the guns there now:

1) Item # 976081566: $ 325, Factory Wood Grips & Pachmayr Rubber Grips, 99%, in box with papers.

2) Item # 976087538: $ 225, Very Good Condition, Pachmayr Grips.

3) Item # 976087935: $ 285, Gun rarely fired, factory wood grips, molded rubber combat grips, and, Ruger factory target wood grips, one owner gun.

If you're already familiar with the above gun Ad's: I wish you luck, in your search for a Security Six! I think that they are wonderful guns-I've made a hobby, out of researching and collecting those guns!

Sincerely;

AIMHIGH

Glamdring

Both me and my Dad have Blued Security Sixes. I have had mine for over 7 years and my dad has had his about a year longer. We have never had any problems with them. I have only put a few hundred rounds thru it [it isn't my favorite gun], but I have dryfired it a lot [usually with snap caps but not always]. Have run heavy loads thru it, mainly Federal's 180 grain Castcore [a LBT in disguise], and it has handled the heavy loads as well as the 38's.

Only thing I would comment on is to be careful with grip selection if you plan to use speedloaders...some grips I didn't work well with speedloaders.

Sport

Maybe it's a regional thing, but $325
sounds awfully high.
Got mine for $230 a couple of years
ago; 4 inch stainless, pachmayr grips,
90 plus per cent condition.

It took the place of a Smith 586.
Like the Ruger a whole lot better.