Ruger Security Six Grips

tonyz

I have a Security Six with a six inch Barrel. I have tried several types of grips and can't find one that fits my hand just right.
Right now its wearing a set of pachmayr presentation grips, these fit the best, but are slightly to big.
I have tryed Hogue, also the Pachmayr Grippers both were too small, and I didnt like the way they fit my hands.
Some wood grips would be nice. I have the stock grips on my GP-100 and they fit like a glove, also have Hogues on my Black Hawk which also fit just right.
Anyone had this problem with the S. Six, also would like some suggestions.

Tony

screen

scotjute

I bought one with a set of teakwood target grips on it. Liked it so well I never changed them. Don't know who made them.
Same gun, security six, 6" barrell, blued.

gagunner

try cdnninvestments.com ,they have both rubber & wood grips for the security six.had to do minor fitting but the prices are right.

Mike Davies

I found that Sile rubber grips fit just right on my 6" Security Six....I don't know if they are still available or not.

Attachments

• sec6.jpg
    sec6.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 171

nyetter

CDNN has a bunch of grips, I've tried several of them. The wood fingergroove ones feel the nicest, but the gun really rolls in my hand under recoil so I end up having to attain a fresh grip after every shot. The oversize target style grips are nice too, but don't have clearance for speedloaders. Right now I'm using the factory service grips :/

mjn

Grips

I believe Ruger changed the grip shape on the Security Six at some point so that the commonly available grips don't fit the older models. I went through the same thing once and finally found a set of Herrett walnut grips at a gun store that has been around forever. Come to think of it, I still have the mother of pearl grips that came with the gun originally and would sell them cheap- with teenagers these days "pimp" is a compliment so they may be back in style!

rick_reno

Security six grips

Let me know if you want to sell any of those grips you've tried and don't like. I've been looking for a set of Pachmayr grippers (if those are the ones with the finger grooves).

samualt

I have the exact same gun. The Security-Six is as good as it gets!

As far as grips, I use Pachmayr replacement grips (Not slip-on) with the finger grooves. Mine are kinda faded, so their ugly. But ,they feel so good! I really want to try some exotic wood grips with finger grooves, but I don't think anything would beat the Pachmayr grips for feel.

Bob G.

I've got a service six snubby that I would love to get Spegal boot grips for. Those are great! You might call Craig Spegal and see. He doesn't have a web site, but he answers the phone himself. I don't have his number handy, but I'm sure some on this site does.
Bob

7th Fleet

There is a problem with the older Security Sixes since their grip frames were changed back in the 1970s. I had one of those and the only grips that I found that would fit it were made by Mustang. I have a later model that I bought new in 1982 and I've had no problems finding grips for it.

7th

WESHOOT2

WAYBACK

I bought a set of no-name oversized wood grips (from gunshop 'scrap box') and gently lovingly carefully SANDED them by hand to fit MY hand. Beautiful walnut, amazing figure, perfect fit.

The 70's.........

Robert Foote

Craig Spegel has made me several sets for Security Sixes from various woods: teak, cocobolo, walnut. He and I worked up a nice practical design that I have used for over twenty years now; I have never found anything better. BTW, they feel a lot like the GP-100 grips but of course without the stickiness. Virtually everyone who has handled them has liked them a lot. They're not catalogued but he'll know what you're talking about.

Call him at: 503/368-5653.

bpisler

I believe the grip change happen at the 151 prefix of the serial number,if your security six has a prefix of 150 or lower grips are hard to find.

tonyz

Craig Spegel is not doing anything in the six series anymore:( .
Guess WESHOOT2's got a good Idea, I like working with wood. Where to get a set to start with, ok back to the junk tables at the gun shows.

pisler you are right about the serial # mines a 151+ prefix.

Tony

Last edited:

tomthel

Grips

You might try Herretts at:

http://www.herrettstocks.com/album.htm

They will make their wood grips to fit your hand (you send them a tracing of the hand). They will also fit older guns but you need to send the gun (the bad part $$). Badger also makes grips (They don't have a website) but one of the mail order houses handles them and has online pictures. A Google search should turn up the website.

Tom

makarov

The early models with 150-xxxx serial numbers are the ones that have the different grips. If your serial number is anything else the grips for a Security Six should fit. I had one of the early models and they are indeed tough to find grips for.