Ruger Security Six & Fiber Optic Sights

jtmckinney

I have a 6 inch Security Six I recently acquired. Shoots great but with my 60 year old eyes I was wondering if anybody made fiber optic sights for them. I checked Williams and unless I missed it they do not make a sights specifically for this firearm. Also checked Midway with same result.

I already have Williams Fire Sights on a couple revolvers and am aware of their shortcomings but for what I want they make me a better shooter under the conditions I use them for.

Measuring what I can get to it appears the rear sight on my Single Six is the same dimensions as the sight on my Security Six. Has anyone attempted to use Single six rear sight on a Security Six? I can do the swap if it can be done but don't want to mess with the adjustment on the Single Six as it is right where I want it. Hoping someone here to tell me before I attempted or just get new sights on order. This is only half the sight picture but it is the rear sights I have the most trouble seeing.

Appreciate in advance any replies.
Thanks!
James

littlephil

Can't say about the single six sight, but I can tell you that a rear sight from a gp100, will work. It's a drop in if you have a later model security six with the hump on the bottom of the rear sight. The hump needs to be ground off though if you have an earlier one. I'm actually in the process of making a front sight for my dad's security six that I'll put a fiber optic rod in. I'll probably start a thread and try and post some pics when it's done.

jtmckinney

The hump needs to be ground off though if you have an earlier one.

Mine is the Liberty model manuf in 1976. I am thinking the grinding off would be on the sight and not on the firearm.

Do keep us posted on the front sight with fiber optic rod. If you want to make 2 of them let me know, maybe we could work something out.

Thanks!
James

littlephil

You are thinking correctly about the grinding, guess I forgot to specify. :D I'll see how this one turns out, if it goes well I just may make up another one or two if people are interested. I've noticed that there is a lack of sight options for the six series rugers, so I figured I'd try and make the front one for my dad's gun since he liked the ones on my gp100 so well. He's 59 and has problems picking up normal sights too. Good luck with the rear sight, if I hadn't already put my factory rear on dad's gun, I'd offer it to you.

The Ruger Single 10 ( & I think Single 9 ) have fiber optic sights from the factory... I doubt it's much of a stretch to install those on a Single Six???

this is a pic of my customized single 10 ( now a blued & polished 8 shot 257 Special centerfire ) but these are still the stock Single 10 sights...

Attachments

• 257 special blued & polished 3.jpg
    257 special blued & polished 3.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 98

jtmckinney

Magnum Wheel Man, I already have fiber optic sights on my Single Six. It is my Security Six I am wanting to explore options. I have been trying to find the sights I took off my Single Six when I installed the fiber optic sights but so far no luck.

Whirlwind06, Those look interesting. A little pricey but I may just have to spring for them. Did you get the standard size front sight or the bigger dot front sight?

littlephil, I am definitely interested. I have some time. I am wanting this to be my sidearm for field use next time I go to Big Bend country but that will probably not be until early Spring next year.

Thanks!
James

Whirlwind06

I went with the big dot, but it was for a snub Security Six so I'm more interested in short range quick sight pick up.

spruce98lx

Can those XS big dot sithts be used on the fixed rear sight sixes? I have a Speed Six and Police Service Six that I would love to ave some type of hi visibility sight on the front.

Whirlwind06

Can those XS big dot sights be used on the fixed rear sight sixes? I have a Speed Six and Police Service Six that I would love to ave some type of hi visibility sight on the front.

The SP101 XS sight is a almost perfect fit for the fixed sight Sixes and the GP100 3 inch with fixed sights.

Edited to add some pics of my GP-100 with the SP101 XS sight.

2015-06-02%2017.29.38_zpskmjezskq.jpg
[/URL]

2015-06-02%2017.31.14_zpslbvmaypc.jpg
[/URL]

2015-06-02%2017.31.59_zpsjc8q0wye.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

littlephil

James, I'll see what I can come up with on this first one (might take a little while since it's the first one) and I'll definitely get with you as long as I'm satisfied with how it turns out.

jtmckinney

littlephil, Please do let me know.

I bet the biggest challenge is getting the rod centered in the sight properly. When I purchased the Williams sights on my Single Six the first front sight was off center which threw off the front sight alignment depending on the light conditions. I mailed it back to them and Williams replaced it with one that was correct. It was beyond my measuring skill to measure how much it was off, couldn't have been more than a couple thousands but just that little off center makes a big difference.

If I cannot find the Single Six sights I took off I will just have to try the ones on it and re-sight it. I will count clicks so I should be able to get it back close.

Thanks All!
James