Ruger security six .357

Z400ACDC

A neighbor has one 4-sale. It is a blued, wood handles, with 6 inch barrel. He is asking $300. It is in great shape. Is it worth it???

Webleymkv

I'd say yes, that's a fair price. The Ruger Six Series DA revolver have climbed significantly in value over the last few years.

Donn_N

That's a fair price. If you don't buy it, tell him to list it on GunBroker. He should have no problem getting $300 or more for it if it is in good condition.

bottom rung

In good condition, $300 is an excellent price. They are well made guns. I love the way they look and feel. Kind of like what would of happened if you combined a GP100 with a S&W. Not too heavy, but by no means light. I love those guns. Steve

WVfishguy

I bought a stainless 4' Security Six last Saturday for $350, and considered myself lucky to get it. I've been looking for Ruger Sixes for quite a while now. I sold mine back in the 80's, and have been kicking myself ever since.

The shop actually had two Security sixes, but they kept one for themselves!

I consider the Security Six to be a better gun than the GP-100 - better balance, better trigger, etc.

In fact, I recently tried to trade a new stainless GP-100 for a blued Security Six. I was turned down. :rolleyes:

To answer the OP: $300 is a steal for this gun. If you check Gunbroker, you'll see them going for more, plus FFL costs and shipping.

Z400ACDC

Thanks for your help!
How do these guns shoot? The only revolver I have shot was a .44 in the 80's. I have carried a auto(Sig 9mm) for ever.

Tuzo

Security Six & GP 100

One year ago I paid $270 for my Security Six at my favorite pawn/gun shop. It developed a cylinder latching problem but that was repaired by Ruger under their lifetime warranty program. The Security Six is a fine shooter but not as good in comparison to the GP100. The primary reason is the different grip design. The GP100 in my hand is more comfortable and stable. The higher grip provides better recoil control and, due to greater weight, less felt recoil. Both are fine revolvers with acceptable accuracy, workmanship, and reliability. As always, the fit of any handgun is a personal preference.

ZeSpectre

Just a little over a year ago I bought a nice used Stainless security-six for $225
Not very long ago I had someone at the range offer me $400 for it on the spot.

I didn't sell as I really like the gun but I felt like it was a good indicator of the relative value of the guns these days.

alienbogey

IMO the wood grips are inadequate.

When I bought a new stainless model in the mid '80's I immediately replaced them with oversized Pachmayers (sp?). Grip, control, comfort and recoil immediately felt much better.

If you buy that piece and replace the grips keep track of them - my wooden ones got chewed up by a puppy years later - now I can't restore it to original should I want to. :mad:

Paniolo55

Ruger Security Six

I think $ 300 is a good price,and if you've a hankering for a great revolver then you should jump on it. I'm a big fan of the Ruger "six series". IMO these revolvers are the equal of my S&W K & L wheelies. It'd be hard to go wrong with snapping up your friend's Ruger.

Wuchak

Great gun. The last I checked CDNN had rubber and wood (walnut) grips both with and without finger grooves for the security six. I ordered all 4 types (prefer the finger grooved rubber on my stainless model) for under $50. Great buy on some nice accessories. I'd grab them while I can. They won't be available forever.

stormspotter

I just got this Police Service Six for $300 delivered, with an extra pair of Pachmayr gripper grips, and considered myself lucky to have found it.

072.jpg

Last edited:

WVfishguy

Actually, it's a Ruger Police Service Six :)

Tuzo wrote:
The higher grip provides better recoil control and, due to greater weight, less felt recoil.

My 4" Security Six actually weighs slightly more than my 4" GP100. Both are stainless. I admit, this was a surprise to me.

HOWEVER - the weight of the GP100 is distributed toward the front of the gun, which may help reduce muzzle flip.

The height of the grip depends on the stocks you use. Holding each gun in my hand, there is NO difference in the grip angle or height.

I much prefer the trigger of the Security Six. It's the same all the way through - the GP100 trigger hesitates at the end of the pull. There's a name for that, but I can't think of it. :confused:

joegator

Good price great gun. I have a SS with 6 inch barrel and Pachmayr grips. It is one of the most accurate revolvers I have ever shot.

I disagree with the comment that it is not as good as a GP100. A lot of shooters actually prefer it to the GP100.

stormspotter

Went back and fixed it, suffered from a brain f**t. I wanter this Service Six to go with my Security Six 4".

Someday you all will get old too.:D