Ruger security six .357, I got a few ????

Z400ACDC

Hello!
I got a 6" blue SS today. It is my first revolver. I have shot autos for over 20 years. What can I do to get a better DA trigger? It is stiff! What grips do you like and I would like a holster that is easy on the blueing. What years did they make this gun? What breaks on them? Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!!

comn-cents

Great gun. Nothing really breaks on them. I just put a set of wood hogues on mine. Midway had a close out. I also put a millet orange sight on mine. The only thing you have to be careful about is there are two different models, serial numbers will tell you which one you have. Great shooters too, enjoy. Wolf springs makes spring kits for them to lighten up trigger pull

Chesster

Great guns. I still have several Speed 6 and one Police Service 6. Love the way they can be field stripped into sub components for cleaning. I still like the old Ruger rubber grips when you can find them. Or Pachmayrs. I have found Ruger rubber on ebay and CDNN has had some in the past. I think When I had a 6", it fit an old Hunter holster I used for a 6" Smith 19 also.

Slopemeno

The Trapper spring kit helps, but the best thing you can do for them is to dry-fire the heck out of them. They DO smooth up.

Try to find the Clark adjustable hammer spring strut (Brownells used to carry them, but you might have to contact Clark's directly) and put the Trapper spring on their strut.

Another thing that helps is to disassemble them, remove the trigger from the trigger group, and break all the sharp edges of the trigger where your finger contacts it. It makes DA shooting quite a bit easier.

MikeinLA

Boy, I really miss my Security Six. Had one back in the 70's with the target sights, it was a great shooter.

Mike

chris in va

The trigger on my SP was really stiff. A Wolff reduced power mainspring really helped. It still lit off ammo just fine. It only takes about 30 minutes to change it out, and that's just doing it the first time.

SIGSHR

My 6" stainless had a very heavy trigger pull, a Bullseye (?-over 30 years ago) spring made a BIG difference.

rellik74

Bought my 4" and 6" security 6 in 1982 new, installed a bulls eye spring kit, excelent trigger pull. They have seen thousands of rounds:)

I have seen bulls eye kits NOS (New old stock) for 25 or 30 bucks.
I put a wolf spring kit in my Tarus 85 ul and am happy with the results:)

I need a security six in 2" for my collection.

tulsamal

The Trapper spring kit helps, but the best thing you can do for them is to dry-fire the heck out of them. They DO smooth up.

That's my suggestion as well. I bought my first one back on my 21st birthday in 1982. I didn't have much money for ammo so that revolver has probably been dry fired more than any other gun I own. And it has a very nice predictable DA trigger pull. Picking it up and dry firing it a few times is like shaking hands with an old friend. You get the muscle memory and the gun wears in and smooths out. There is no downside to dry firing unless you can't be bothered to triple check that the gun is unloaded first!!

Gregg

treg

Got mine last fall as new / unfired. Tried several AM grips but none were better than the ones as seen above that it came with. They fit my modest size hand like customs and carry well too. Ended up getting a set of used originals for daily use to preserve the like new ones that came on it.

After shooting and dry fireing a bit the trigger smoothed out well. Last week I dropped it in the mud and had to do a complete teardown. While in there I lightly stoned some of the trigger works. It is now very smooth.

Thinking about a spring kit, but I'm concerned about FTF with a lighter mainspring.

Slopemeno

IIRC in the Trapper kit you get three hammer springs. Usually the lightest one won't work, and I'm using the middle weight one.

SwampYankee

I replaced the hammer spring and the trigger spring in my 4" Security Six about a year ago. Wolff Springs sells a kit for about $9. It makes a huge difference! The only issue is changing the trigger spring. It can be a bit tricky and if you don't like the Wolff spring you will NEVER get the factory spring back into place. The Wolff spring can be easily compressed by hand, the factory spring cannot. They must have used a special jig when they assembled these at the factory.

Anyway, even with both springs replaced, I have never had a misfire with even poorly seated primers.

A month ago I bought a 3" Speed Six in .38 special and am waiting for my Wolff springs to come in so I can make the swap.

Speed/Security Six's...Love 'Em

I own a Speed Six and Security Six - both w/2-3/4" barrels. Love 'em both. I frequently carry the Security Six as a CCW. The Speed Six was purchased new and the Security Six was purchased used and had some superficial surface wear & tear. Functionally, she is like new except that the trigger is smoother than when new. Sent the Security Six to APW Cogan for a cosmetic makeover. A new chrome plating and correction of some metal gouging on the right side of the barrel left the old gal in fine aesthetic form. APW Cogan also plated the Speed Six...excellent job done on both!