ruger scout m77?

yay or nay? anybody have one? pros and cons?

always wanted a scout rifle. the steyr intrigued me for years. this one is a little cheaper and has a nice removable mag and muzzle break.

Last edited:

PatientWolf

I like the look and concept of the rifle. They are fairly heavy and pricey though.

You may want to post the question in the "Bolt action" area of the forum. You might get more feedback.

jmr40

The scout is just a modified 77 MK-II. But it is a bolt rifle, this is the semi-auto subforum.

When I first saw the ads I thought I wanted one. Not as a tactical rifle, but thought it might make a nice handy brush hunting rifle. First one I saw and held turned me off. Way too heavy for what it is supposed to be. They now offer a 16" and 18" barrel. I do like the SS version with 18" barrel better.

Magazines protrude too far. A 4-5 round mag that fits flush should be a good option and the 10 round mags should be about 1/2 that length.

bamaranger

me too

Yeah, +1 to JMr's comments.

The laminated stock is heavy, but durable. and the flash hider a turn off on that type rifle for me (though I may screw one on a HB .308 soon) . Definitely would use a smaller box myself, to reduce weight more and reduce clunky factor. I suspect that box is about where I would grasp the rifle in casual "trail carry" as well.

Think Ruger got the rail right, and the factory irons look good. I've not seen an 16-18 incher yet. Like the big extractor and pseudo Mauser action too, though I've never had a prob with push feeds.

Honestly, something like the old Ruger "Frontier" but in matte and a decent synthetic stock would really be too my liking.

salvo

I really like my Scout! I have the 16" version. You can get 3, 5 & 10 round magazines, even with the 5 & 10 round magazines my rifle balances just in front of the magazine as long as a forward mounted scout scope is attached. Personally the gun is not heavy to me, maybe the handiness & maneuverability makes it just feel lighter? It's a joy to pack around as far as I'm concerned. Accuracy is very good also!
For a truck or quad gun at the ranch it is perfect, my old 30-30 lever is getting left behind more and more.

50 yards 5 rounds, Fedral White Box FMJ, sight in target.