Ruger/Rossi Puma .45 Colt loads w/250 XTP

Sarge

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond some* currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Cooked up a hunting handload today for the wife's 92 Rossi Trapper and my Old Vaquero, both in 45 Long Colt.

Puma_Vaquero.jpg

This load is an adaptation of one of John Linebaugh's personal loads* using a 250 grain Hornady XTP over 13.0 grains of Hodgdons HS6 powder. This load is too heavy for anything except the big framed Ruger revolvers, so please DO NOT try it from your Grandpa's Colt Single Action. It is however relatively mild in recoil and was just what I was looking for in a light-kicking hunting load for Peggi's carbine.

I had a limited number of test loads so I fired just three from each gun, over the sensors of my old Shooting Chrony Beta Max. From the rifle it averaged about 1205 fps; it did about 1050 from the 5 1/2" Ruger. Recoil is inconsequential from either gun. Penetration in water was 24" from both guns and the bullets turned into big, leaden toadstools at either velocity.

XTPpic.jpg

The glorious aspect of this is that I suspected this would shoot to the about same point of impact, in both guns, as they do with our two bulk .45 Colt loads. The XTP load did precisely that, zeroing at 50 yards in the fixed sight Ruger and requiring no sight adjustments to zero to 100 from the 16" lever action carbine.

Sometimes, things just fall together and this was one of those times. Life is good ;)

TXGunNut

Nicely done, Sarge. Just so happens I have a Ruger 4 5/8" Blackhawk and a Winchester 94 Trapper that are both very fond of the 300gr XTP at or near max loads. Have you tried the big bullet? Not much fun in the handgun but pretty nice in the Trapper.

Sarge

Thank you both. Tex- while I haven't used the .45/300 XTP, I have "long-loaded" the .44 version to redline levels in an old .44 Redhawk that lived here for a few years. At 1350 fps it would hold 4MOA if I did my part.

I would expect the 45/300/XTP to be a fine a bullet as the other offerings in that line. My 300+ grain .45 Colt loads are usually geared for pure big-hole penetration and use a huge Keith bullet I get from a fella in Alaska.