Ruger ring help...

1stmar

I need some help with ruger rings. I was looking for a new scope with a 50mm objective and found the following:

-The front integral base is higher the then rear
- rings are sold separately, and only by height not front and rear
- using match pairs (rings of the same height) would create an upward slant when mounted

This would seem to place stress on the tube. I have at least low mount and medium, maybe high. I have to match up the measurements to the ruger chart. I believe the second set is .57, which would make it high.

PawPaw

Yep, Ruger rings for the Model 77 come in four basic flavors, a short, medium, tall, and extra tall. They're numbered 3,4,5, and 6. I recently mounted a 6-18-44 scope on my Ruger 77 and used a 4 in front and a 5 on the rear.

I blogged it here: LINKY

Once you figure the system out, there's nothing to it, and you can buy rings individually to suit your particular needs.

1stmar

Thanks pawpaw, I tried a lower in the front and higher in the rear and then put a torpedo level on the rings and found they still were not level. The rear measures .571 and the front measures .445. Oddly the rear is still not high enough to make it level.

PawPaw

Do your rings have numbers on them? The smaller number goes in front, the next higher in the rear. For example, a 3 and 4 are normally for fits a normal 3X9X40. When I was mounting a 6X18X44 I used a 4 and a 5.

1stmar

The rings do not have numbers, they are at least 15 years old. I do have the lower in the front. It's close but it's not perfectly level. Looks like about 1/3 of a bubble off.

I had the scope previously mounted with the same size rings, I don't see any physical damage, do you think it may be damaged?

1stmar

That guide helps, and I need to cross reference the ring sizes to dimensions as mine does not have the numbers on them.

jmr40

Ruger makes 4 ring heights. With the 77 series of rifles they come from the factory with one medium and one high. The rear receiver ring is milled down about 1/8" lower than the front of the receiver. Place the high ring on the rear of the receiver and the medium on the front for medium rings. If you want to go taller just order 1 extra high ring. Move the high ring on the front, and the extra high on the rear for high rings. If you want low rings, order 1 low ring and place the low ring on the front, and the medium on the rear.

Even when mounted correcty you may get an optical illusion and think they are not level if you use the top of the receiver as a reference. It will not look level from that perspective. Lay a scope in the rings and just place the top half of the rings on top. I'll bet everything is OK.

Ruger rifles are no different from most others in that the rear receiver ring is lower. The others just use a thicker rear base to make up the height then use equal height rings. Since Ruger needs no separate base it is actually a great idea and will save you money since you only need to buy 1 ring if you want to go higher or lower. At one time they would swap out one ring for another on a new rifle if you did not want mediums, as long as you returned one of the rings unopened. I think they will still do that.

The Mini-14 and Redhawk handguns use the same exact rings, but because the have receivers/frames that are flat on the top and you'd use the same height rings front and back.

1stmar

Thanks guys, its all mounted and looks ok. Hopefully no damage to the scope from previously using matching rings.