Ruger RH Alaskan as a CCW...questions

ajgranda

Hi,

I've always been a S&W guy, going back to my early years in LE. Currently though, I no longer have a wheel gun. I've been looking for a .44 mag snubby. I was considering a S&W 629 PC model snubbie until I came across the Ruger SHA. I haven't even gotten to the local GS to handle one, but I just love the looks of it. I would be using this gun as a CCW in the colder weather wearing a heavy bull hide belt and ordering a custom high riding OWB pancake holster. I'm currently carrying a Springfield XD45c as my CCW. I would like to alternate it with a .44 snubbie. I also have an XD40sc which I carry in the summer.

Here are my questions: Can anyone comment on the reliability of these guns? How is the trigger action (primarily DA) compared to say S&W? Has anyone used Bright Sights visibility paint on their front sight to make it more visible? Does Ruger offer a lifetime warranty like S&W?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Dragline45

Reliability of the Rugers are just as good as any S&W. As far as the triggers the S&W will almost always have a better trigger. I myself would go with the S&W, but I gota ask. .44magnum for CCW self defense? Didnt know you had girzzly bears in NY.

woody wood

the alaskan is an great gun as i have a 44 and have run about 1,000 hot loads through it with no problems.i did buy a galco side holster for it and
it is a very heavy gun to carry,diferent holsters may change the feel of it?
trigger seems fine to me,but others state that it will smooth up after awhile.
told it will last a lifetime and seems like it. when shooting it at the range,most guys ask what it is and like the looks of it.

mavracer

It's built like a tank. When I ordered mine apparently UPS ran over it with a forklift cause they sent me a bill for forklift repair.lol

ajgranda

woody wood, do you use a thick bull-hide gun belt? I know that make a world of difference for me? Also, how do you put quotations in your post? I still can't figure it out. :confused: Thanks

woody wood

the brand of belt i use is a 5.11 and is a casual holster belt 1 1/2 inch.
it is full leather with a hard plastic core--great belt that will last for many years.i use it for everything from dress to casual. the last one i got was from midway usa-type in "5.11 belt"and it will pull up. or go to 5.11 website.

EdInk

The snubnose Alaskan is a Super Redhawk variant. It's trigger and grip frame are closer related to the GP-100 series than the original Redhawk. It is one tough gun just like all the other metal framed Ruger revolvers. In terms of trigger pull, the new production S&Ws are not really any better than Rugers anymore. Last month, I bought a 5.5" Redhawk over an S&W 629 because the gun can handle hotter loads AND the stock trigger felt better too. Plus, there's no ILS in an original model Redhawk (not sure about Super Redhawk.)

IMHO if you want a new DA .44magnum revolver, then Ruger is the only way to go, regardless of price

Venom1956

I am a huge Ruger fan, but I've noticed when shooting DA it takes Rugers a "bit" longer to reset then colts or smiths. If you try pulling the trigger back to soon it won't pull back and the whole gun feels like it bids up, but its really because it hasn't reset. I mention this because its a CCW and I would hate for it to happen to you. When I did this on my Redhawk .44 I had a panic attack. :D I thought I ruined my brand new gun.

Last edited:

charleym3

I don't mean any disrespect, but are you nuts? That gun 2.5 pounds empty. I carried a GP100 for a month some time ago. I kept thinking that I'd get used to the weight. I never did and finally gave it up for a glock 21 in an comptac IWB holster.

markallen

It doesn't weigh any more then a 1911 Govt.
The right belt, and holster, but more important is the right cover garment.
The Alaskan does have a little bit of girth to it.

I sometimes carry mine. And the biggest problem I have is banging into tables and chairs with it. It does stick out a bit more then a 1911.

Put a GP100 Compact grip on it, and it is quite concealable.

alaskancarry.jpg
[/IMG]

Venom1956

HA! :D That Alaskan looks SOOOOOOOOOO top heavy with that compact grip! I really like the Compact grip on my Gp I didn't know I even had it until after I bought it and compared the two.

mavracer

I don't mean any disrespect, but are you nuts? That gun 2.5 pounds empty. I carried a GP100 for a month some time ago. I kept thinking that I'd get used to the weight. I never did and finally gave it up for a glock 21 in an comptac IWB holster.
Do you carry the Glock empty cause it's only 4 oz lighter loaded than my 4" GP is.

ajgranda

I think carry comfort is very much a personal thing. I carry my XD45C (about 37oz loaded) all the time and don't even know it's there with a good gun belt and holster. 8 or 9 more oz. is no big deal to me. Hey, I used to do eight hour foot posts with almost 20lbs of extra equipment on me. I was a bit younger back then though, but not that much stronger. :D I think being physically fit (weight training) does make a difference.

Andy Taylor

Holster & belt will make all the difference in the world as far as the weight issue. I recommend www.thebeltman.net for the belt and www.simplyrugged.com for the holster. I am sure the simply rugged belts are good as well, but have no experience with them.
The Ruger is superbly reliable. If you select a good .44 Special load in that gun, it will almost feel like you are shooting a .22. .44 Special will do 95% of what .44 Magnum will do without the drama.