Ruger Red Label O/U

warbirdlover

I've heard these dissed in other forums and threads but I've handled Beretta's, Brownings, Weatherby's and other O/U shotguns and not one comes up nicer for me then the Ruger. (I used to borrow one for a pheasant hunt on private land every year and was absolutely deadly with it). I currently own a Stoeger Condor as I don't get the chance to hunt pheasants etc anymore and it works. I'm going to find a good used one somewhere.

What's your take on the Ruger Red Label O/U?

Slopemeno

I borrowed one to shoot some Sporting Clays. I loved it, and would love to get one...probably have to trade off some black guns to do it. Fit was fair for me- the comb felt a bit sharp. It handled pretty much exactly like my Model 77.

Sphawley

On this forum a lot of people will tell you to stick with the Browning and Beretta guns because of there excellent performance and value. Not picking on either of thise brands since I myself am a loyal Beretta shotgun owner. What it should always come down to is how the does the gun fit you? Secondly will this gun fullfill your needs? How many shells a yr? & etc...

It's a solid O/U, and if it fits you great then you are getting out pretty easy!! Many of us would pay big for our Beretta or Browning's.

ohen cepel

The Rugers are quality guns, I really like the 20's, not such a fan of the 12. That is me though. If the gun fits you that is much more important than the name on the receiver!

TheKlawMan

My take is if you want it for hunting and some ocassional clays, you may be fine. If you plan on shooting a lot of clays, you will wear it out. It isn't a Browing or a Beretta, but it is better than some of the stuff out there. Enjoy.

Jo6pak

I've owned a Red Label 12ga for more than 5 years. I like it just fine. for the money it's a really nice O/U. Sure if you shoot thousends of rounds a year, a more expensive gun may hold up better. But, for my uses, I've been quite impressed with the RRL.
Sure, I can't brag about how much I spent, or the legacy of the maker, or all that other gibberish. But it knocks clays out of the air just as well in my hands, and has been trouble free.

Fit and is more important than the name on the side

oneounceload

MY experience with the 28 gauge was dismal

I would never own another or recommend one to someone because Ruger quality sucks, IMO

rjrivero

Specifically, it's a great field gun. I've used it for skeet, sporting clays, phesant, grouse, quail.

It's accurate, and goes bang when I squeeze the trigger. I have nothing to complain about with this shotgun. Patterns well, and swings well, fits well. I bought it new when I was in college. I think it was 1992 or 1993 when I got it.

TheKlawMan

I think oneounceload is pretty tolerance for the less expensive over unders. If he thinks their quality sucks I would keep away from the Red Label You might ask him if there are any inexpensive over unders that you might consider.

For my money, I would go with a semi before a crummy O/U.

My limited understanding of some less expensive over unders is that you can't go buy a few recommendations of happy owners. Even if a gun is generally a pile of dung, some buyers with the luck of the draw get one that is pretty good.

Slugo

specifics about the Red Label...

- very average CNC build quality
- very fragile internal springs
- opening and closing the gun feels cheap
- auto safety
- lousy overall fit and finish

is that enough, or, shall I go on... :rolleyes:

jmr40

My brother had one. I liked it OK, shot it well. My take is that for the average "hunter" they are not a horribly bad choice. They have 2 problems as I see it. If you shoot a lot of the clay games they don't hold up nearly as well as the other guns to long term heavy use. The 2nd thing is value for the dollar. They really only cost slightly less than the better guns that will hold up much better in the long run. The better guns have a much better resale value which makes the Ruger's less desireable as well.

zippy13

Slopemeno, you ask for specifics... Your, "Fit was fair for me- the comb felt a bit sharp. It handled pretty much exactly like my Model 77," is more of a condemnation than a recommendation. I don't know any serious shooters who are looking for a sharp combed shotgun that handles like a rifle. The Red Label's auto safety proclaims the gun was designed by Ruger's legal department not serious shooters.

Slopemeno

Auto-safety is dead common among double guns. At customers request, we disabled a number of them in our gunsmithing shop. I competed in USPSA for years with 1911's, and hunted game for years with a Lefever Nitro Special, so auto-safety didn't even figure in. Hey, don't forget the safety...

And I don't knock the handling at all. It handles in a very similar manner ( a bit heavier) to the 28 gauge Citori my shooting partner was using.

For what it's worth- we had a number of customers use their Red Labels hard, ( the older blued 20 gauges as well as the newer versions) and I never had one come in for anything more involved than a recoil pad- unlike alot of the other shotguns we worked on.

Fit and finish- compared to what at what price point?

oneounceload

Sorry for my late response to your query-

Bought the RRL in 28, it was gong to be my go-to gun for upland......several trips to the range started showing me why it was not to be.....

The extractors would slide over the cartridge rims, thus making extraction/ejection impossible - sent back to Ruger - they replaced everything..........and it happened again........they replaced everything again................same result....................after three tries and they still couldn't make it right, the gun went away

If YOU can get it to work for you, great!

I won't consider another - new or used