Ruger Precision Rifle

Looks like Ruger is finally jumping on the band wagon and offering a factory long range/tactical style rifle. This looks to be a very good platform for the money!
A new mag well design that allows the use of a wide range of mag types.
I wouldn't mind trying one in 6.5 Creed, just wish the trigger pull weight was adjustable to a lower pull weight.

models-top.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rpr/models.html

http://youtu.be/15YkjtV_ud0

Rob62

I really do hope it works out for Ruger. They have been missing from the "Precision" rifle field for a long time. Look no farther than how many Heavy barrel bolt action Rugers show up at Long Range Rifle matches - virtually none.

Maybe this is the platform that will change that for Ruger.

Regards,

Rob

1stmar

Gunbroker has a 6.5 for $1400. If it's as accurate as they showed may make its way to the safe. Need to see some reviews first.

taylorce1

Too heavy for my tastes, but at least they got the twist right for the .243 Win. You should be able to run most bullets except the 115's and even some of those May shoot depending on elevation. 9-9.5 lbs is about the max I want to pack around with a full magazine, optics, sling, and no-one. I've owned a 11 lbs naked rifle and will never own another, hooligan1 can pack it around now.

Retail is supposed to be around $900-1000.

Looking good. Purpose built precision rifle by Ruger, what more can you ask?

As for 6,5 Creedmoor, I´m sorry to say the best 6,5 have been around for the last 100+ years. It is called 6,5x55 (Scan, Krag, Swedish)...

Lets not let opinion stand in the way of fact... The new(er) 6.5mms do what the old 6.5x55 has been doing, but more efficiently with less powder, and from a short action. 6.5creed, and 6.5x47 Lapua are the new breed of 6.5 cartridge and have found a home with long range shooters...

5RWill

Not only that point me in the direction of where you can find readily available match 6.5x55? It's nowhere near as plentiful as 6.5CM

MSRP is 1399$ Turners had them for 1000$ you should be able to find them at 1100$.

This rifle is apparently very very good for anyone wanting a nice long range rifle for the fraction of the cost of a custom. I want/need a full size .243 so i'll be picking up one this summer. Frank at Snipershide was getting 1/2 MOA to 850yds, well below 1/2MOA groups at 100 with factory Hornady Ammo.

Not only is the price/performance unmatched in precision rifle shooting, the magwell accepts SR25 mags, AICS, M1A, M14. That is huge. No more 80$ AICS mags. It comes with two magpul mags.
http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1564384-the-ruger-precision-rifle-6-5-cm
SH_RugerPrecisionRifle-1-6.jpg

It's exactly what a bunch of my friends are looking for. They wanted to get into practical long range matches without breaking the bank with 3000-5000$ worth of scope/rifle combo. This offers that. In a couple of weeks i'm going to order one in .243 and put the mark 6 on it.

tobnpr

Looks like they've got a winner. The adjustable stock is impressive for the price point as well- I couldn't see the need to change it. Heck, it looks nicer than my PRS...
The fact that it'll take any mags is a huge plus as well.

In the $1K price range for factory out-of-the-box long range target, this might give the Savage LRP a run for it's money.

5RWill

Yeah they're three shot groups. Stil good three shot groups though. If he is getting 1/2 MOA out to 850-1000yds its impresive

RTBA

I've got one.

I was able to pick one up on Gun Broker in 308 for a reasonable price. It was listed for 45 seconds before I bought it. So I got the rifle and checked it out. Took the bolt apart, set it up with a bipod, (the key-mod mount was included, also one quick detach mount was also included), took a monopod from another rifle and mounted a Vortex PST-43127, 6-24 X 50 scope with extra high Weaver tactical 6 screw rings. I like the gun! Not too heavy to hunt with, but heavy enough for some stability. I really like the folding stock and the fact it will fit in a carbine case.
So the big question is..... How does it shoot? It shoots like an eleven hundred dollar rifle. I have plenty of Federal 168 gn GMM and lots of reloads that work fine in other guns so off to the range I went. For two different days and reloading the brass that was shot from the gun from the first day with just neck sizing the best 5 shot group was..... 5/8 inch. I'd say average is one inch/MOA. I've shot worse for that kind of money.
So now I'm looking at options. Stick with it and accept it for what it is. Sell it while everyone wants one and spend 3, 4, or 5 grand on a shooter, or re-barrel it. Well for less than two grand total investment for the gun I'm willing to take a chance and have it re-barreled. Krieger medium weight 1 in 11 twist. Also threaded for a suppressor. I'll check back in in a month or so and let you know if it was worth it.

5RWill

I would rebarrel if you can't get some consistent 1/2 MOA groups out of it and feel the action/platform is something you intend to seriously use. There was one posted on snipershide hide already rebarreled with a hawk hill customs. So they will be coming.

TMD

I wouldn't give up on the stock barrel just yet. Being a 1/10 twist you might want to try some heavier bullets like 175 and 180 grain. I thought the same with my Savage 110 at first but after playing with some 180's I was able to get groups down to .5moa.

RTBA

I have been working with some one seventy fives. They were starting to show some promise as the velocities were going up. I even had some hotter loads ready to go when I decided to pull the plug. My experience is if you have a rifle that won't shoot you can sometimes find the right combination to make it acceptable, but if you have a rifle that shoots it will shoot about anything.
Nice to hear someone else is going for a re-barrel and I'm not the only fool.

RTBA

Yes it has Ruger's version of the Accutrigger.

It uses the same bolt design as the American Rifle, but the bedding of the action is pretty trick on the American Rifle. Ruger say it has 7 patents pending and over all I really like the way they designed the RPR.
If you can pick it up for a thousand bucks and it shoot that's a deal. If you put a good barrel on it for less than eight, then for eighteen hundred you could have an excellent shooter.?... I'l let you know. :)