Ruger PC9 questions

jawper

Greetings all,

Looks like I'll be picking up a Ruger PC9 on Friday. It'll be the first long gun I've owned. Uses will be range fun and perhaps some steel plates. NO serious defensive use envisioned.

I have a number of questions that fall into several categories:

- Cleaning and maintenance: tips and things to be ware of in breaking down and cleaning, lubrication, etc.

- Optics: I'd be interested in a dot sight just for fun. Opinions on particular brands and mounting options would be welcome. Given my limited experience with long guns, I'm not clear on how much of a limitation the "Ruger rings" represent. Whatever I end up mounting, I'd like to still be able to use the iron sights.

- Magazines: I've heard of people paying to have their PC9s altered to accept Glock mags (which I own in abundance) as well as other brands. For the $175-200 such an alteration would cost, it seems like I could pick up a mess of after market (Mecgar, ProMag, etc.) Ruger mags. Any strong opinions one way or the other? I'd be interested in hearing from any TFLers who've had a magazine alteration done as to their level of satisfaction.

Any other comments re this carbine would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ajacobs

I have had and enjoyed my pc9 for over a year. Accurate for what it is with a couple of inch group free hand at 50 yards and I easily keep it on a paper plate at 100 and that was before I put my optics on. Just a plain fun little gun and I wouldn't discount it for home defence although there is certainly better options. Mine wears an unkle mikes butcuff (a must have for this fun rifle, holds 2 mags on the butstock similar to an m1 carbine), an acog reflex on a weigland mount, surefire barrel mounted light with pressure switch and a sling.

1. cleaning and maintance - can't think of any tips in particular, very reliable with the right mags in general, I clean all my guns after firing them, I use a bore snake on this one just becuase you can't clean from the chamber. The parkerization is extra nice on these.

2. optics - as a fun gun I think your choice of a red dot is a good idea, if not I probally would go with a shotgun scope. You have a couple of options here. It does not come with rings but you can order rings from brownells or ruger (I don't know if they come in parkerized or not). They do come in various heights and in 30mm or 1 inch, many red dot scopes use 30mm rings. Brownells also offers two rail mounts that add a weaver rail to the top of the receiver by clamping in the ruger rings. I ordered the cheeper one first from brownells and it tightened down with 8 screws. 2 of the screws snapped so I ordered the weigand from brownells (wich I should have ordered in the first place) see it here http://www.jackweigand.com/ranch.html brownells and weigand have the same price on it (unless you get the trade discounts from brownells - Which is available with as little as a curio and relic ffl definalty makes applying for it worth your wild). Additionally the weigand goes on with just 2 screws so it is allot easier to take of, which would be required in order to use the iron sights. I got the regular pc9 and bought the ghost ring upgrade kit latter and installed it myself. Ruger stopped offering it, as there is a problem with patent infrigement, but will come out with a new one in a year(along with a retrofit kit). I got similar accuracy out of both the ghost rings and the standard sight, the ghost ring is a large aperature on the rear of the receiver and the standard sight is located halfway up the barrel (a standark MK 2 Sight). The standard sight is limited by the shorter sight radius but the ghost ring is limited due to the large aperature (although it works better in low light). A compramise I have found is one of the several peep sights offered that just clamp on to the rear ruger ring, smaller apperture/full radius. I think that is the best option if you forgo the scope.

3. Magazines - I have gone around and around on this one. A friend has a pc4 that was already converted to accept glock mags (finally a use for those 27 rounders) I think it was done by glockworks.com. IT functions perfectly. I was not concerned about magazine interchageability (all they really do is change the mag release and open up the well a little) I have fired berreta mags through my pc9 by just holding them in place. I figured 30 round ruger mags are so cheep, especially from listings in shotgun news, that I would just go with p85 mags. I ordered a dozen or so no name mags (cheeper than usa) half were 15 and half 30. I then ordered 4-15 4-20 and 4 -30 (can you tell I hoard) usa brand mags. They both functioned fairly well, the main problem was failure to feed the last round by pushing the nose up over the chamber, and therefore also failing to lock the bolt back. Easiliy curred by just pulling out the mag and the round would fall out, but then you would have to rack the bolt to load a new mag. I cured this by doing two things. I ment to do them one at a time to see which one was effective but as it turned out my wolff extra power springs (alternaly you could just strech your spring out some) and ruger factory followers arrived the same day. since then I have done all of my firing out of a single 30 round mag for over a 1000 rounds with no problems at all.

I see I am kind of rambling on, I hope I have been of some help, feel free to ask me any other questions.

[Edited by ajacobs on 02-07-2001 at 06:56 PM]

Medic

Congratulations on your choice. I think you will be very pleased with the PC9.

First, if you haven't done so yet, check out http://www.rugerforum.com. There is a wealth of information to be had on the Ruger Carbine's over there.

ajacobs covered everything fairly well. Do get a Boresnake, it will make cleaning a snap. I second the motion on the Weigand rail adapter. I have one for my PC9 and it works great. By the way Weigand is offering free shipping on all parts over $49, just another plus!

Here is a link for the Uncle Mikes Magazine Pouch. I have one of these too and it's just about the best accessory you can get for the PC Carbine's. If you click on 'product list' you can order one online if you like.

Good luck with your PC9 and happy shooting.

jawper

ajacobs & Medic,

Thank you both for the useful input. I'll probably be back with more questions but this is a great starter.

Other opinions and input ?!?!?