Ruger P97DC problems

slojim

Just bought one, used, but it looked barely used. I was shooting really well for me, but after about 60 rounds of S&B 230 FMJ, started to experience feed failures, and twice the slide did not lock back in the last ~25 rnds. Problems occurred on both mags. I cleaned it when I got home, it was dirtier than I expected, maybe there was too much oil on it from the last owner, but it didn't look like it when I took it apart when I first bought it. Gonna wipe it real dry before my next range trip, hope it's just that.

90% of all gun malfunctions are attributed to how well the gun is maintained with ammunition being the other culprit for unreliable performance.

VictorLouis

The mag follower design is rather unique, and functioning is dependent on whether the spring is properly seated underneath it. If it was improperly assembled, then it would allow the follower to creep forward, and down, under the repetition of feeding. At a point, it actually noses down, where it would not make contact with the slide stop. Take them apart for cleaning. You'll see a small lip under the follower plate. The top end of the spring is looped, IIRC, to hook onto the rear of that lip. This prevents it from riding forward as I described. Leave them shiny and dry on the inside, too. :)

BobCA

Don't worry, when I purchased my P97, one of the mags had some kind of factory grease caked-up in it (acually the whole gun did). I didn't notice this when I cleaned & lubed the gun for the first time before my first range trip (yep, I didn't check the mags). Well, that mag had feed failures and when the slide failed lock back, I put that mag away for the day. Like Victor said, they should be clean & dry inside. I've had no problems since with both my mags. Ruger seems to really go crazy with the packing grease, which is a good thing.

BTW, S&B ammo is decent range ammo. But dirty as hell. Federal Eagle, Winchester "White Box", CCI Blazers, and Speer Lawman are great range ammo & alot cleaner IMO.

Mark M33

I agree with BobCA, try to use other type of ammo, you might not experience the malfunction. P97 will function well with good ammos, but S&B might not have enough power to cycle the slide plus it fires dirtier.M33