Ruger P95 shot well today...

JohnKSa

Administrator
Had an informal club shoot today. I took the stainless decock-only P95 I bought used a few weeks ago. The previous owner hadn't cleaned it--being the lazy sort I chose to shoot the gun that already needed cleaning vs dirtying another. :D

After running through some move & shoot "practical" scenarios the reactive targets came out for some head-to-head competition.

The P95 (and some of the last cheapo, steel-cased Chinese ammunition left over from my single days) shot well enough to let me come away feeling very good about my performance.

No jams, no malfunctions, no problems at all.

Got it home and did a detail strip & clean. (Only the sights, the firing pin safety and the mag release weren't disassembled from the gun.) Apparently the previous owner used some sort of product that formed a yellowish varnishlike crust all over the internal parts. Reminded me of what I used to see where folks had used WD-40 as a combination lubricant/cleaner. I had to brush it off most parts using a steel bristled toothbrush. Actually found bits of leaves when I stripped the slide and there was dirt (not powder residue--maybe some sort of dried mud) in the recesses of the frame.

Sort of comforting to know that even crudded up and with varnished internals the gun will work faultlessly and still shoot accurately enough to knock over bowling pins pretty consistently @ 25 yards with cheap ammunition. After some more shooting that will include the self-defense loading I prefer, this gun will graduate to home-defense status.

There were three guns that jammed today. One was a "customized" 1911--looked to me like the round didn't chamber fully. Another was a Bersa .380 that stovepiped on the last round from a mag. The third was a Hi-Point 9mm that jammed several times--mostly failures to feed from what I could see. All guns were shooting factory ammo.

kickshot85

I'm happy to hear you're content with your purchase. I've had mine for six months now with around 2000 rounds through it, and have yet to have any malfunction. Since I'm on a relatively tight budget right now, I mostly shoot Monarch because it's $4.88 at Academy, right at $100 per thousand. I've got more of this stuff stocked up than makes sense. It is little dirtier than Blazer and UMC, but still no issues so far with the cheap ammo.

Of course, I clean it religiously after ever outing, but it is nice to know that it can still perform well in much worse conditions. So far, the worst mine has seen was being dropped in a shallow puddle, I simply picked it up, shook it off, and fired away with no problems.