Ruger P-Series

Tim Whittaker

I've always liked the tank-like design of the Ruger line. I want to get either a 90 or 97. Does the polymer P97 have steel rails in the frame? Does it make any difference in strength? I had a P90 a while ago now I'm kicking myself for it. The gun will be for the range, some CCW, and back-up HD should the Benelli choke. BTW I already own several other handguns so no alternate suggestions please. Thanks for your comments.......Whit

Rob96

No the P97 doesn't have steel insert in the frame for the rails, nor does it need them. Excellent pistol to buy. Contemplating this one myself as my next purchase.

David Scott

The P95/P97 series was originally designed to handle 10mm, I've read. In normal use they should last about forever.

tonyz

Ruger P95

I have a ruger P95 that has more then 13,000 rounds throught it. Still looks new and shoots new. It is one of those guns you have in your collection that are not for sale or trade. Rugged Good looking IMHO, very Reliable, and will take all kind of abuse and still functions.

Tony Z

Last edited:

NINE

I have just resently bought a P97DC. I am very happy with it; natural pointer for me, slimmer than my P89(lighter, less hefty grip), and looks great. I'd reccommend it without hesitation.

Walt Sherrill

The P-90 is one of their first generation semi-autos. They took what they learned and improved the design with the P-95. After a year or two, they further improved that design with a newer, better P-97, which sported a better barrel lockup design.

The P-97 will do anything the P-90 will do, and do it better. The gun fits most peoples' hands better, its at least as durable, and just as reliable and also will feed anything. Its also slightly smaller and more cmpact. And, generally speaking, its available for less new than a P-90 used.

I'd not consider a P-90 if a P-97 was available.

logansdad

The voice of dissent....

I prefer my KP-90 to the P-97. Don't care for Ruger's version of the Glock.;)

IMO, my KP-90 is MUCH better looking that the P-97, is more rugged, and feels like a real gun. Besides, you only gain a measly 3 ounces by going to the polymer frame. Hogue Monogrips make all the difference in gripping the KP-90.

I'd go with the metal frame gun. This coming from a guy who bought a new Glock at the gun show last weekend!!:D

denfoote

I have a P95, which is the P97's older brother. It is an excellent pistol!!! I have no reason to think that the 97 would be any different!!! Buy it!!!!:D

Marcus

I can`t speak for the P-90 but I really liked my P-97. It was far more accurate than I could have hoped for. It wasn`t unusual to shoot 1 hole groups at 25yds. with 230gr. Hydrashoks. The trigger has a lot of takeup for after that it broke pretty good. I substituted a Wolff mainspring that was 2# lighter which made it even better and polished the face of the trigger which just made it feel better (to me). Very reliable and built like a tank too. The only problem I had is that the hammer bit me,an odd problem for a Ruger but one I`m especially prone to due to my meaty hands. I ended up trading it but I still miss it. Marcus