Ruger P-series deeper cleaning

spacecoast

Taking apart my new 1911 to clean the firing pin channel made me curious as to what kinds of dirt might be living in my Ruger pistols. I found the following disassembly/assembly video from a guy who claims to have worked at Ruger and the procedure worked like a charm for my P95. I had never had the gun apart farther than standard field stripping in more than 3 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLZCECQ5wDs

After 2,000 rounds my firing pin channel was pretty gunked up with old oil, and the extractor had quite a bit of carbon that couldn't be reached without removing it. I hope you find this useful as well.

Note - the video does NOT apply to the P345 - it's quite a bit more involved (just the firing pin). I managed to get through it using http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/handguns/Disassembling-A-Ruger-Pistol158-1.html but it was quite a bit more difficult, with a lot more parts.

Last edited:

rotten mick

never stripped past field.

Proud owner of guns over 25years. And never have done more then a field strip except for repair. I have two p95's that get a lot of use and carry. Basic strip and clean with removing the trigger and then blast with this short bursts till it runs clear(3-4 shots usually)
rianf6.jpg

Not a single problem that wasnt due to ammo. And verry few of those.

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
Not a bad video. The decock only models are a little different. There's a strong leaf spring in a channel in the slide and it has to be dealt with to remove (and reinstall) the decocking levers. It's a little trickier than stripping the safety/decocker models.

I keep meaning to make a video but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

DaleA

I keep meaning to make a video but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Hope you do I'd watch it!

Now, unsolicited and very obvious and patronizing advice (but my intentions are good) and this is for everybody:

I've had some shooting things I COULD have done but never got around to them and now odds are heavy I never will - nothing serious, mind you, it's just the time for some things has past. So my advice is make the time to do the things you want to do, shooting or otherwise and then you can live with a lot fewer regrets.