Ruger P-94 in .40 - opinions?

Pilot

I'm thinking of getting a Ruger P-94 in .40, with the factory installed Hogue rubber grips. I assume its from Davidsons as its two tone, blue/grey with stainless safety and the rubber grips, mentioned above. My local dealer wants $350 (new) for it. I have a lot of Ruger firearms, but have always shyed away from their centerfire autos. Is this a good .40 to get? Seems like a decent price and value. This will be my first .40 as I've been a 9MM and .45 fan for years and still am.

Use will be range and occassional carry.

Pilot

Rob96

I own the P94 in 9mm and love it. The P94 is built like a tank. Just to let you know, the model that comes with the Hogue grips only comes with one magazine. I think it is cheaper to buy the standard model and add the grips. Just for referrence I paid $300 for my P94 blued model.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Pilot:

I don't own a Ruger P-94 or (944) as it is sometimes called;
but I did get a chance to shoot one recently. As Rob96 said,
it is built to last a lifetime. My personal opinion, I believe the P-94 handles the snappy recoil of the .40 caliber better than some of the more expensive guns
from Sig (P229) and Glock (G-23).

Regards,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Walt Sherrill

I'd go one step farther, and get the P-97. The recoil isn't noticeably worse, the ergonomics are better, the gun is just as stout and reliable, and there's a better barrel lockup design. You're talking the same basic size and price for a gun that shoots a bigger round, and does so comfortably. The P-97 is one of the most accurate center-fire pistols Ruger makes.

I think the Polymer Rugers are a big improvements over the older models, and all of them have included significant enhancements.

viesczy

I have a KP944 and while the pistol is not the most concealable pistol in the world, the P944 has proven to be utterly reliable.

You say that you are looking for mostly range work and light carry duties, the KP944 is a great pistol to purchase.

But if you are going to carry the pistol concealed a lot, the KP944 will require some fashion changes in your wardrode. Tell me which do you prefer to wear more? Judical robes or a moo-moo?! :D

Derek

Pilot

Derek,

LOL! I'm a relatively thin guy, so Judicial Robes and Moo-Moo's are definetly out. I carry in a buttpack, so I've had everything form my BHP and 1911A1 to a Makarov in there. No biggie on size, except I have problem getting the AR to fit.

My choice for in the waistband CCW is a CZ-75 PCR. Ahhh, decisions, decisions. Another gun to buy and I thought I had enough.

I hear what someone else said about the P-97 and I am also considering that. I just don't like the Polymer grips as much as the rubber Hogues. Do they make an aftermarket grip for the P-97? They all seem like good pistols for the money.

Thanks guys, great info from all.

Pilot

[Edited by Pilot on 02-01-2001 at 01:41 PM]

The P94 in .40 is an OK choice. I don't care much for the aluminum alloy Rugers (they seem to be less ergonomic and less accurate than the polymer Rugers). I agree with Walt Sherrill, take a serious look at the P97 in .45 ACP.

Another alternative is the CZ 75 in .40, or the CZ 97 in .45 ACP. These guns sell for a similar price as Ruger, yet are more accurate and better handling than Rugers.

ED CHAVEZ

I have a Ruger P-944 .40, this semi is the best. Never had a problem with her. It is also very accurate. MY PISTOL shoots tight groupings, with CCI blazer ammo, imagine what better ammo will do for the accuracy. I let a co-worker shoot my P-944 and it resulted in the same tight grouping pattern. I truly have and bought an amazing tool the Ruger P-944. I would get one. But I just heard this past week that Ruger will introduce a polymer frame .40 semi. I would wait. But I would not pass the P-944 either. I also have a P-97DC it is also an amazing firearm. I still have to break-her-in, I only shot 100rds threw her and she tends to shoot low and to the left. This has happen to me with all my Ruger semi's, but all I do to remedy this problem is, shoot more rounds threw them and the accuracy improves. It is weird but it works for me. Anyways get the P-944, it is a great shooter and a good buy and it is less than $350. Later.

CBlackjr

Got it. Don't care for it much, however it is a very nice gun and I have not had any problems with it. I really hate the slide safty and the fact that I can't cock and lock the thing. Oh and the dd action trigger pull sucks. I am selling mine for 300. I got it back in september. It is the SS one with the grey stock.

Arub

I have both a KP944 (P94 in 40 cal) and a KP95 (polymer frame 9mm). Both are decocker models - no safety to fool with. Both eat any ammo that I have sent through them - Federals, S&B, Winchester, UMCs - no problems.

The 944, when sand bagged is very accurate. It does have a tendency to shoot slightly to the left (torque or machining tolerances) but is adjustable for windage. After adjustment - no problems. At 25 yards I hit 4 plates, rapid fire, out of 5 rounds.

The recoil and/or "barrel flip" takes a little getting used to after firing the 9mm, but you acquire a feel for the difference with usage. If you want a 40 cal, the Ruger is hard to beat.

Claywms

I own the very gun that you are considering purchasing, however I paid 409 bucks for mine new. It was worth every penny. Great gun, and currently my favorite, until of course I get my hands on a P97! At that price I would not pass it up.

Pilot

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its going to be a tough choice between a P-94 in .40 and a P-97 in .45. I know and like the .45, but want to try .40 to have another caliber to play with. Tough call, I'll try to shoot both before I decide.

Pilot

Carrier

Get the P-97!!! Superior cartridge, lighter weight, trimmer design, prettier, no decocker activating-safety, etc...

Had a 944 for two years and traded it for a .357 revolver - like swapping a tractor for a sports car! The 944 is built 9and functions) like a tank, but who drives tanks around?

Just my personal feelings...since I am out of .45's, I may even get a P-97 myself one of these days...