Ruger P-85 Owners

kkduda

I'm an ex P85 owner. It was a pretty good firearm, typical of the ruger line. Mine stovepiped once every 50 or 100 rounds and I sent it back to the factory. They told me I had the recoil spring in backwards??? That sounded funny to me. I believe this was one of ruger's earliest models and they may have had a recall to fix something on it. You might want to double check that though....

Dwight55

I bought one several years ago for my wife for mother's day. (Thought I would bet my little Colt back, . . . didn't happen).
She has smallish hands, and I had to get a book from Dave Lauck (The Tactical 1911) to find out why she didn't like it and didn't want to rely on it. Her small hands were a real stretch for that first DA shot, making all the recoil go through her intertwined thumbs on the back strap.
It prints something like 3 in groups at 30 feet (hand held on steady rest). One thing, . . . it has never stovepiped, it has never failed to go into battery, it has never refused any ammo I offered it (mostly FMJ).
Personally, I am not a fan of DA autos or DA/SA autos so very probably one day I will part with it. In the mean time, . . . it is my backup home defense handgun (Springfield 1911 is first line).
Opinion: for the money, it is a worthwhile piece, but be advised that it is a bulky piece for CCW, I doubt seriously if you can accurize it to the zinth degree, but it has been for me: totally and 100% reliable.
May God bless,
Dwight

Mr. Chitlin

I got one right after they came out, and kept it up until a couple of years ago. As above, out of all the ammo that I shot through it, I never had one single problem with it. It ate everything I ran through it. My only problem is that it felt like I was holding a brick. I could never get used to the grip.