Ruger or Smith

DTown24

I have an itch for a new revolver (this would be my second - the 340PD being my first and used as a backup/off duty gun). Just want something that I can bring to the range (the 340PD is too painful to use as a range gun), keep as a home defense gun and maybe occassionally a CCW weapon. I am considering the SP101 or one of the stainless smith models. Guess that I would go with the 2" or 3" barrel because I may carry for CCW also. Any thoughts? Advantages/disadvantages between the two? Thanks

44mag@ucnsb.net

DTown24,

Hopefully your thread stays on track. The biggest battles in here lately seem to be Smith Vs. Ruger or vice versa. I personally feel that both companies make a good gun, I lean toward Rugers for the durability and pure strength of their guns as well as their great service should a problem arise. If you have a gun store near you that rents guns or have a chance to stop by the range you can usually get the opportunity to shoot a few different guns. A friendly conversation will usually get you a few shots out of another shooter's gun. I would suggest you try as many as you can before making any purchase. The SP101 is a durable and strong gun. Also, in the calibers it is chambered in, it is fun to shoot and not hard on the hands. It carries well in a belt or paddle type holster. Good luck and have fun.

.44mag

Ozzieman

I agree with 44mag

I have had many of both and strength I would give the Ruger an edge. But over all I have always felt that Smits were better over all, smother with much better triggers out of the box and with some work on both the smith will always be a much better triger.
I would not go with a s/w 19 I feel it a little to light for most people to shoot mags, go with an L frame smith or stay with the ruger, both will give you lots of years.

Greybeard

Also got a 340. First thing I did to it (years ago) was trigger job and oversize grip. Bite not near as bad with backstrap covered.

Had a 3" SP-101 for even longer. Very well pleased with it. On the heavy side (for me) for CCW. Also put oversize grip on it to tame heavy 357 loads.

Kinda tough to be too wrong with a Smith or a Ruger revolver ...

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All-

While I'm a Smith & Wesson fan at heart, I've fallen in love with the
Ruger SP-101 as well. Grant it, they are heavy for a CCW piece; but
would make an excellent choice as a home D' weapon. We have one
NIB (actually in the show case), priced at $379.88; and at that price
it draws a lot of attention.

Best Wishes,

PaleRyder

I had a .357 S&W 649, and it stung the heck out of my hand, even shooting .38s. I traded it in on an SP101, and it is so much better in my hand it isn't funny. It doesn't sting at all, and it's more accurate.

38splfan

Either.

Both are fine firearms, and in the end it boils down to personal preference. I would highly suggest you handle each as much as possible.

See if you can find a dealer who can walk you through the particulars of each.
That being said, a used Ruger can oftentimes be had for less than a used Smith.
THAT being said, a used Smith is, in my experience, more likely to be found in better condition.
For new guns, handle and shoot both, then buy what you like.

bearkiller

Get em both, decide for yourself

I think you will be happy with either. As already stated the Smith has an edge in the trigger dept., while the ruger has an edge in the overall value and brute strength dept. I have 3 smith and 4 ruger revolvers. All the rugers have had custom work to make them "sweet". Only 1 smith has had custom work (prior owner). That being said, a model 10 smith is a great value (smith trigger, low cost). When you really become a serious revolver man try a ruger single action in a caliber that begins with a 4. Heck, who needs brass knuckles when pistol whippin with a big ole' ruger can really "get er done".

Gazpacho

I've owned my SP-101 for many years now. Bobbed the hammer for easier carry, but I can still shoot SA if I want to. The Ruger is my personal minimum level for comfortable .357 shooting. Anything lighter than that I don't find pleasant. It is also my "go to" CCW gun when I go hiking. I live in mountain lion territory, and the .357 should do nicely to keep the kitties at bay.

omegapd

Like a couple others have said, a K frame Smith would be the best bet. I personally love the old model 65.

FWIW, I use Smiths as carry weapons because of the trigger and have a Ruger Security Six (6 inch) for hunting. I figure the Ruger will hold up to heavy 180g .357 loads better than the Smiths and I shoot game single action anyways, so the crummy DA trigger doesn't matter much.

cortez kid

I run in between the smiths and rugers(like them both). Just picked up a smith 38 special ctg. It's an old police range gun.The thing wasn't even close to clean.
30 min later, i got a beautiful little s.steel shooter. On my little range I couldn't miss. I'm I supposed to get this much fun for under $150?
Who needs these $1000 hand cannons,(I do, but I figured I would brag about being cheap today)?!
good shootin

kid

9x19

Based on current production?

Ruger all the way... S&W simply does not offer anything I find attractive, nor worthy of their asking price.

Older, pre agreement, Smiths are very nice.

I have three SP-101s, and they are very good range/CCW guns.

Doug Add

I carry a 2.25" SP101 with a cocobolo wood grip I got from Hogue Auction. A friend shot it at the range the other day, and he has begun to think about getting something similar. I really enjoy this revolver.

Before I got the Ruger I spent months debating between it and a S&W 60. My experience with the 686 led me toward the 60, but I also remembered how well I shot my uncle's SP101 a couple of summers prior. What it came down to for me was availability and price. I found a great deal on a used Ruger that saved me over $150 off the price of the model 60. I have not regretted my choice, but if I found a similar deal on the S&W I would have gone that way.

The advice to feel and shoot them before you decide is wise. Don't be in a hurry and you can probably find a good deal. I came across both the SP101 and the S&W 686 used and saved over a $100 on each one compared to what the usual prices were.

Blue Heeler

Rugers are tough guns, no doubt about it. BUT nobody shoots them in competitions because they can't get a smooth trigger. Smith & Wesson are the best because of their design - no other reason.
Something else to think about too. If you buy any gun, look at the finish and (like a car) look at the shut lines,Smiths have both. There is quality in design and quality in finish. The best finished gun in the world will NEVER beat the best design.
I offer the AK 47 as an example.

shep854

Two minor gripes I had about my SP101: After extended shooting (especially with magnums) trigger backlash started hurting my trigger finger and the cylinger would start to bind from crud buildup. For the latter, a quick cleaning of the cylinder corrected the problem.

Again, these were minor, and did not affect my appreciation for the gun.