Ruger No. 1-V caliber suggestions

burrhead

I'm a long time hand gunner but now I want to get into punching paper with a rifle. I'm looking at the Ruger No. 1-V and I'm torn between a 223 or 220 Swift. I'm not going to hunt with this rifle or compete, just have fun with it. Which round has the most inherent accuracy, ease of reloading, light recoil, etc. The range I belong to tops out at 100 yrds so there'll be no real long-range shots. Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

------------------
Join the NRA.

mcshot

Look at the 22-250 and add to your confusion.
BUT for what you have in mind I would and have selected both. The .223 because of light recoil, ammo/brass availability, barrel life and all around enjoyment. The 22-250 for when I just wanna kick butt and make noise.
Oh the joys of putting holes in paper.

------------------

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Yeah, go with the .223 and shoot coyotes from your back door when you're out here...

The Swift and the .22-250 are really for serious varmint shooting, out to 300-400 yards. There's lots of cheap ammo for "just plinking", and you can work up some very accurate handloads for paper-punching.

Later, Art

PS: It's s'posed to be cold, Sunday/Monday mornings. I'm gonna hunt back at the Shutup.

burrhead

Thanks for your imput mcshot and Art. Good luck Art. A friend of mine stayed at T Ranch headquarters last week and saw several deer in the hanging shed. They're out there, go get 'em.

------------------
Join the NRA.

[This message has been edited by burrhead (edited December 04, 1999).]