Ruger No. 1 30-06

ligonierbill

Still have the itch for a No. 1, and I have questions about the 2 varieties I see out there. (I'm no expert.) Older models have no sights, 26" barrel, sling swivel on the forearm and often very pretty wood. Newer models, sights, 22", swivel on the barrel and usually fairly plain wood.

I like good wood, but I'm more shooter than collector. So, is there any significant benefit to that long barrel? I mostly load IMR-4350 in '06, so I would expect a real velocity boost, but I'm not a 500 yd + guy. Does either have a noticeable advantage in balance and handling, in your view?

Just looking, I tend toward the old long barrel. Seems like it just takes advantage of the short receiver, and I don't see a downside. On the other hand, the 22" looks like a carbine without the terribly short barrel (I don't like the RSI version). Thoughts? Experience?

Rifletom

Saw this question and looked around a bit. I have an Ruger No.1B Std. in 30-06. It has the 26" barrel, no iron sights and has the quarter rib. I couldn't find my rifle on two different sights[Ruger's and Bud's!]. If you can find one with the 26" barrel, I'd opt for that one. They balance quite well, but, in the same breath, they are heavy. 8lb bare bones, 9+ with scope and sling. Mine is very accurate using the 180gr Hornady Interlock and a hefty charge of H-4350. I'm getting 2750fps MV over the screens with that rifle and load. No pressure signs at all. The deer and Elk I've taken with that No. 1 didn't like it tho. Hope you find one. If I find one, I'll post it up.

oldscot3

Go to classicsportingarms.com for a look at his inventory. The prices aren't wholesale for sure, but the choices are good, new and used available, seems fair to me.

eastbank

I have a early # 1 red pad with 26" barrel in 300 WM and load down a 165gr nosler bullet to 2800 fps. kills deer dead,

ligonierbill

Hunting, always hunting, even if most of the rounds punch paper. That said, I'm not too concerned about weight. If I'm not hunting from a stand, I have light rifles.

RC20

No downside to shorter then, its still lighter and the ballistics are not impaired with shorter.

If looks are important and the longer has better optics then that is fine as well.

old roper

I have couple #1 and one I use for hunting and it's older one and you push safety forward and ejected rd hit top part of the safety. Gunsmith tried adjusting some springs and finale just trimmed top of safety.

Slamfire

I like good wood, but I'm more shooter than collector. So, is there any significant benefit to that long barrel?

That is not an easy answer for barrels differ. But yes, you will be taking a performance hit going with a 22" barrel over a 26" barrel.

The closest I have as a comparison is a 22" 30-06 and a 24" 30-06, and, the loads are not exactly the same, nor were the temperatures that day

pre 64 Winchester M70 30-06 22" Featherweight

174 FMJBT 57.0 grs WC852 LC54 CCI#34

29 Dec 2010 T = 42 °F

Ave Vel = 2433
Std Dev = 23
ES = 66
High = 2467
Low = 2401
N = 12

175 SMK 56.0 grs H4350 wtd R-P case CCI#34

29 Dec 2010 T = 42 °F

Ave Vel = 2528
Std Dev = 17
ES = 40
High = 2545
Low = 2505
N = 5

jvtG3w5.jpg

SAKO 30-06 24" Barrel

174 FMJBT 57.0 grs WC852 LC76 CCI #34 OAL 3.30"

15 Jan 2018 T = 48 °F

Ave Vel = 2558
Std Dev = 33
ES = 111
High = 2612
Low = 2501
N = 10

174 gr FMJBT 57.0 gr WC852 RA54 Fed210M OAL 3.330

2 Mar 91 T = 70F

Ave Vel = 2590
Std Dev = 17
ES = 52
Low = 2564
High = 2616
N = 10
Good group

174 gr FMJBT 55 gr H4350 R.S 5.20 RA 54 Fed 210M OAL 3.330

2 Mar 91 T = 70F

Ave Vel = 2633
Std Dev = 23
ES = 60
Low = 2599
High = 2659
N = 5

7Hc9YxN.jpg

I have done limited load testing in 35 Whelen between a 22" barreled rifle and a 24" barreled rifle, and there is a velocity loss with the 22" barrel. Something else, that lightweight 22" barrel makes for a heavy recoiling rifle! Consider that, not only bullet fps.

2FlI6L5.jpg

njr7Kgu.jpg

hodaka

I've owned a #1 in 30-06 for 25 years. The short action makes the longer barrel seem not so long. Mine shoots 168's and 150's into 2" all day at 100. For some reason a 110 bullet loaded with 4064 shoots into 1/2 " at 100. Go figure. I'll never sell this one. Beautiful pieces of wood.

JeepHammer

Love my No. 1 rifles!
These are a throwback to the English Safari rifles of the 19th century, with the Bill Ruger treatment, and they are in my opinion the finest affordable hunting rifles made in this country.

I have 5 calibers, including .30-06, owned them for years, and will probably be the last rifles I'd ever sell.
Mine get front sight blocks & receiver mounted aperture rear sights if they didn't come with them, a hunter should have a backup in the event of an optics failure.

Some guys insist on 'Factory' for collector value, Bill Ruger said, "Collectors were people too lazy to hunt and Ruger custom shop will mount iron sights on any version of the No.1"

The guys aren't lying, it's a hand full of rifle! You have to remember the No.1 was designed for REALLY big game, you don't particularly want a light rifle chambered in .458 Win Mag!
My .22-250 is a popcorn fart in recoil to .460 Weatherby, .458 Lott, .458 Win Mag, etc.

It's an excellent rifle all around, fine enough grade to be proud of, cost reasonable enough you aren't afraid to hunt with it, works all the time, every time in any weather.
Excellent fit & finish, wood is up to you... You can order extra fancy wood from Ruger custom shop at a very reasonable price. There are several places that will provide wonderful wood if that is what you are looking for.

I'm REAL picky about my rifles, and I can recommend No.1 rifles without reservation, it's a real value for the amount of rifle you get.

Paul B.

"I have couple #1 and one I use for hunting and it's older one and you push safety forward and ejected rd hit top part of the safety. Gunsmith tried adjusting some springs and finale just trimmed top of safety."

Simple way to get past that is slightly twist the rifle to the right as you eject the fired round. Works just fine especially if reloading for a fast second shot.

Here's how I do it.
With the rifle at the shoulder, I twist the rifle slightly to the right as I eject the round. I lower the rifle enough to pluck the next round for the reload and slide it into the breech as I raise the rifle back to my shoulder. Slide the shell home, close the breech and aim. At no time do I look at the rifle or breech, keeping my eyes on the game. It takes a bit of practice but is easy once learned.
Paul B.

Paul B.

For those concerned about barrel length. 26" barreled Ruger #1B is no longer than a standard Remington or Winchester with 22" barrel.
I collect and used to hunt with Ruger#1 in various configurations.
These days I only do a cow elk hunt on a private ranch land owner tag and the outfitter and ranch owner don't allow the use of single shot rifles. Funny thing. I've done seven hunts on the place and all seven elk were brought to bag by one shot each. Even so, they still won't allow it. No matter, their place, their rules.
Paul B.

dgludwig

Just looking, I tend toward the old long barrel. Seems like it just takes advantage of the short receiver, and I don't see a downside.

For those concerned about barrel length. 26" barreled Ruger #1B is no longer than a standard Remington or Winchester with 22" barrel.

The above observations is how I too see it. Take advantage of that short receiver to get more horsepower with no downside.

The most accurate rifle I've ever owned is my Number One varmint model, chambered in .220 Swift; and that's with Hornady factory ammunition.

Young feller down the road a ways from my hunt'in shack shoots a Ruger #1 in 7-Mag. Nice long barreled one having a Leupold Vari X-2. He let me shoulder it once for a peek see through its scope at a distant beer can laying on the road.~ Nope!! Can't say I would trade my 300 Sav in for one. His Ruger I thought was awfully heavy for a singe shot plinkster. And something I'd rather not tote from here to there back in my woods. Although Ruger#1 models may better the accuracy of most deer rifles but if the trade off for accuracy is more weight. "no thank yaw I'll pass on putting one of them in my safe."

JeepHammer

I'm not sure I'd classify a No.1 as a 'Plinkster'...
A little too heavy for 'Plinking' calibers.
No one I know 'Plinks' with elephant gun calibers!

It was built for safari type rifle, for hand howitzer calibers.
It's fell out of favor lately, especially with the 'Spray & Pray' crowd that never hit their target with the FIRST shot...