Ruger New Vaquero with bird's head grip

MLeake

Anybody shot one yet? I just ordered one at my LGS (blue in .45 Colt) but haven't handled one. Curious to see how I will like the configuration (3.75" bbl and bird's head grip). I haven't seen any of these in real life, so far. Neither had the LGS owner - when he looked it up, he said "Cool!" and ordered one for the shop in stainless.

Last edited:
made one, before they were available ( though mine was also made into a snubbie at the same time )

I really like shooting mine, though I will admit my hand loads are only about mid velocity stuff... the grips are nice size & fit my hand well... the smooth plastic grip panels I got at 1st, were good... the custom checkered buffalo horn grips I put on later were fantasic...

I like the set up enough, that I'll probably change over my pair of early Montados that I use for CASS to the birds head grip frames as well...

a pic of mine ( I'm sure you've seen it... buttt ) ;)

attachment.php

gak

Cool gun! I sure enjoy my same size but plowhandled Montado .357 and .44 Sp Sheriff. When the new .45 birdshead was first announced, I thought for sure it'd be a .45 Colt/..45ACP convertible versus either, but not both chamberings in same gun. Odd in that they do make such a convertible--but in a plowhandle (and I believe longer barrel) distributed through Davidson's. Guess the bean counters must've figured they'd sell more total to afficianados of one chambering OR the other, but I'd think a combo (dual cylinder) chambering would sell like hotcakes in this format.

MLeake

I was kind of surprised when my dealer asked if I preferred .45 Colt or .45acp, as I hadn't realized .45acp would be an option.

Convertible would make sense.

I opted for .45 Colt, since I don't have a .45 Colt, and thought it might be a good round for initial attempts at reloading.

Laz

I believe, but have not verified, that the convertible (45/45) New Vaquero is exclusive to Davidson's. The Birdshead New Vaquero were/are Talo editions and sold through several distributors, including Davidson's, hence they had to be either/or and not both. It also kept the price point more attractive not charging a double premium for both the Birdshead grip and an extra cylinder.

I got mine in. 45 acp.

wheelyfun

I am saving up for one...
Love the 45 ACP concept, since I do not reload, and the ACP is somewhat affordable (compared to 45 Colt ammo).
Also, ACP might eject empties easier (short stroke ejector with the shorter barrel)?

Love the short barrel, birdshead grip (which is slimmer design than Ruger's previous offerings..) and blued version.

Will post entire report when I finally get it!

Pbearperry

I shot one about 5 years ago and I loved it.It fits perfectly in my hand and to me it just looks cool.I wish they offered it in .44 mag or .44 spl.

DFrame

Good friend of mine bought one. GREAT shooting gun. I still can't quite fall in love with the looks of the stocks but the proof is in the shooting and this one shoots and handles just great.

rodfac

I've no experience with the larger frames or calibers, but my Single-Six in .32 H&R is a sweet gun. Those bird's head grips are wider than they appear at the rear of the grip frame and should provide good recoil absorption. Here's a pic...with a NV in .45 LC for comparison...both have my grips on them. Best Regards, Rod

BestPr1.jpg