Ruger new style....handle Ruger/TC only Loads?

msta999

I'm guessing my Ruger 45 Colt new model will not handle the Ruger/TC only loads. Anyone know for sure? I emailed Ruger, but all they would say is:

"Response:
All of our firearms are designed to handle all US Industry Standard Ammunition made to SAMMI Spec. We cannot recommend using the 45 Colt +P in our guns as it is not a SAAMI cartridge.
We are unable to advise you on a specific reloading data for your Ruger firearm. It is our suggestion that you contact Hornady Manufacturing Co at 308-382-1390."

This doesn't help me unless the Ruger/TC loads are +P.

Thanks for reading.

Oh, I did check the manual that came with the Revolvers, thinking it would have the max pressure in it, but couldn't find it.

Jim March

You haven't said which gun.

The NEW VAQUERO in 45LC can only handle the same sorts of loads as the post-WW2 Colt SAAs...typically 255gr hardcast lead @ 1,000fps, or 200gr jacketed @ 1,100.

All others can handle the really hot stuff, if 45LC is the original chambering or it's a re-chambered 44Mag.

msta999

That is what I have the New smaller frame Vaquero 45 Colt.

Kind of what I thought, but are the Ruger/TC only loads considered +P?

Jim March

Right. Look, "+P" in 45LC means "WAY hot - use only in guns that are otherwise compatible with the 44Magnum".

What happened was, Ruger started building 45LC revolvers on their 44Magnum-class platform. Now, S&W had done that too. But Ruger did the same heat-treat and metallurgy for both the 44Mag and 45LC - that was new and different in 1973 and it remains rare. Guys like John Linebaugh quickly realized that this meant you could run 45LC ammo up to about 33k PSI pressure and the "Ruger ONLY!!!" 45LC+P was born. "Standard" for 45LC is 14k, but guns like the modern Colts (and your New Vaquero in 45) can safely go to 20k. The only guns really limited to 14k are either really old or abnormally weak, such as the open-tops and breaktops.

Anyways.

Point is, there's a standard for 38Spl and 9mm +P - they're only supposed to be 10% over standard pressure. There is NO such standard for 45LC - so in 45LC, "+P" means "hold on tight, we're in for one wild ride".

Look at how thin the cylinder walls are in your gun - ask yourself if "wild ride" is in the cards.

Now. It's not all bad news. You can get a lot done with ammo that stays just within the limits of what your gun can do. And the NewVaqs in general are very good, very well-built guns, tight tolerances, uniform cylinder bores, very sweet shooters.

Unless you're trying to shoot a griz, moose, elk or really big piggie you don't need more gun than a NewVaq45 in the lower 48 states.

My NewVaq is a 357, and because of the thicker cylinder walls I can actually run more raw horsepower through mine than you can yours. You top out at around 550ft/lbs energy, I top out at 800. BUT your wider bore and heavier bullets means you can get serious killing power against man or beast and still run subsonic bullets - my gun can keep up with yours but only by running way supersonic for more noise and harsher recoil.

You also have an interesting option: you can score a take-off 357Mag cylinder cheap, make sure it otherwise fits your gun and have it reamed out to 45ACP :).

msta999

What was confusing me the most was the load data said Ruger/TC only and others refer to those loads as +P. I didn't know they are the same thing.

Thanks for clearing this up for me, I'll stick to the 45 Colt loads....but those double charge loads felt/sound real good! Started looking for a 460, then I can shoot 460, 454, 45 Colt Ruger/TC loads and plain 45 colt loads.....kind of gives me more options with the same revolver.

Jim March

The NewVaq45 first shipped in 2004. Prior to that all Ruger 45LCs could handle +P. So something written in 2003 or prior might well have said "all Rugers". Most of the ammo manufacturers and reloading manuals now have a special note on the NewVaq45.

This is why a lot of people believe Ruger shouldn't have done this. They should have released the NewVaq in 44Spl as the big-bore option. Custom gunsmiths had already been taking the mid-frame 357 models made before 1973 and converting them to 44Spl, 44-40 or 45ACP while refusing to set them up in 45LC because then you'd have an abnormally weak Ruger. And then Ruger themselves went and did exactly that...