Ruger New Model Blackhawk loading gate issue.

Lavan

I recently got a Ruger 45 Convertible.
After the wait period, I went out to sight it in and the cylinder would not rotate with rounds in it.. Or them.... Being that neither the 45 Colt nor the ACP would work.
I took it home and looked closely and the loading gate bottom protrudes just a .....bit.... Enough to prevent rotation while loaded.
I could push it in manually and it was OK.
But it still came back out.
A ....SMIDGE.

Is this an easy fix?

:confused:

Scorch

THe problem is tip of the bolt/loading gate spring is out of place. Relatively common, relatively easy fix. Remove the grip frame, get the end of the loading gate spring and the loading gate in the right place, reassemble.

Lavan

Thanks for tip. Is there a schematic showing proper position of spring.
Also what spring is needed in case it's no good?

I think this gun has sunk into gunsmith Nirvana where talking gun stuff with customers and looky lous has replaced actually working on guns.

I'll give him a bit more time and then get the gun back and try it myself.

If I saw a picture, I don't think I'd have any problem doing the work.
I've done trigger jobs on SAA, Win 9422 and gotten inside enough guns without screwing them up.

I regret leaving it with the smith who "said" it was a "quick fix."

HAW! :(

If I recall, the spring is almost like a "V" spring with a finger that goes through the frame and applies upward pressure on the loading gate.

Lavan

Picked it up today. Unrepaired of course.
I've had it with local "gunsmiths." :mad:

It's on the way to Ruger and I'll get it back before numbnuts finishes his stories about "the good ole days" and how flintlocks work.

:cool:

Lavan

Sent it to Ruger. They paid shipping both ways. :)

What surprised me was that they replaced the loading gate spring (which I thought would be it)
AND
the
Hammer
Pawl
and hinge pins.

Works great now. Very accurate.

PolarFBear

Regretably; I've had to send TWO back to Ruger for the VERY same problem. Ruger took care of it without any drama. Both were purchased new.

That was awesome of Ruger Lavan.

I'm wondering if the spring was cut wrong such that it won't hold the loading gate under pressure?

Lavan

I've read over the past weeks of so MANY causes for that malfunction.
I'm sure it was the spring.
Angles can be wrong or ?????????

At least I finally got to shoot it today. :)

Lavan

What surprised me was replacing the ....HAMMER !

I guess...maybe.... there was some issue with the bolt dropping when the gate was open.

I've never been inside one of the NEW 2 screw Rugers. :confused: