Ruger New Blackhawk

jefnvk

Anyone got an opinion of these in .45LC, 7 1/2" barrel?

Sporting goods store in the area has them new for $299 the day after Thanksgiving. That seems to be a decent price, someone let me know if I'm wrong. Thinking about bugging the parents to gift me a handgun for Christmas.

Basically, what I am looking for is ar ethese a decent gun? Is it a good first revolver? Any issues that should keep me from getting one?

Also, any opinion on these for hunting? I would think the .45LC with the 7 1/2" barrel would be adequate for deer.

Sir William

The Bisley Hunter in 44 Magnum is far better and easy to mount a scope on. The 45 LC is OK if you purchase a dual cylinder 45 LC/45 ACP model. The best all around barrel length is thought to be 5.5" My own 44s were 5.5".

joab

It would be a good gun for plinking and general use if you reload your own.
.45s are ridiculously expensive

I have two Ruger with 4 3/4 barrels and an Uberti with a 71/2 and I would agree with Sir William that 51/2 has a better balance.

But just as a price meter I paid $300 for my .44 mag SBH used and almost $400 for my .45 Vaquero used

I paid about $300 for a .44mag Bisley SBH 15 years ago

I would probably by the gun for that price

jefnvk

It would be a good gun for plinking and general use if you reload your own.

Got a reloading setup, just never had much use for it as most of my toys are milsurps.

As for balance, I think I'm gonna take a run tomorrow to check them out. Sale is for .45LC in 7.5" Blued only, though.

As for a scope, never had much use for one. Only one gun I own has one, and that is to count points on the deer out there without having to juggle a gun and binocs at the same time. At the 25 yards or so I'd be handgun hunting, no issue.

joab

.45 is a good caliber ,just expensive, and you are still paying less for new than I have paid for used

The Ruger web site has the suggested price at $468

jefnvk

How does it compare balistically to the .44 Mag? I've been trying to scrounge up ballistic charts that compare both, with no luck.

I wouldn't mind having a gun that got me back into reloading, either. The only reason I don;t now is that most of the ammo I shoot, you can't even buy the components for the price of the same amount of surplus ammo.

Also, it would give me an excuse to go ahead and get that lever gun :D

Cactus

The .45 LC Blackhawks are great guns and would be more than adequate for deer or elk if handloaded properly.

The one issue with them is that the cylinder throats are sometimes to tight and need to be opened up for best accuracy. Any decent smith should be able to do this for you.