Ruger MK lll or P22

shokkazulu

My granny said she would buy me a hand gun for my graduation and i am looking at two guns a Ruger MK lll 5 and a half inch barrel and a Walter P22. I like the style of them both and always wanted a ruger. Was wonder are the rugers as picky on ammo as the P22's. I want something that will eat anything i put in it. I want a 22 for price of ammo I have a Sig p229 40 S&W so I have the "big bang" covered was wanted something that i can plink around with and have it last. I guess to get to my point any one have any firsthand info one these two guns.

rellascout

If you want it to last get the Ruger. The P22 are cool but I know people who have worn out barrels in less than 5,000 rounds which for a .22 is a low round count IMHO.

cslinger

Ruger by a long shot. Better made, better reliability, better accuracy......just a better gun. I would recommend a Mark II over the Mark III though.

Chris

FuriousOyster

**** the 22lr pistol debate!

dude the mark III is legit but any rugers gotta have the bull barrel or they look like ****. i got the walter on order and the SIG misqueto <-(good with guns not spelling) i have a neos and a buckmark i love them all and 22 is gotta be the best cal to shoot with the buddies.

I've shot five & four are still alive... =P sick humor sry.

the walther has a muzzle break option that makes it look mean as hell
but the ruger looks really sexy in SS my buddy has it with a SS reddot and pearl grips very nice looking. Be sure and get the 60 degree grips! the 45 handle is polymer or what ever not SS or Blued like the gun.

shokkazulu

i am new to rugers and such what are the major differances in the Mark II and Mark III. Lol better at the beretta u22 neos to the lsit now.

cslinger

The newer Rugers, Mark III included have a loaded chamber indicator. This is designed to let you know when a round is loaded in in the gun and ready to fire.

I have no problems with this philosophically but I do not like two things about the Ruger system.

1)I don't like that, at least in the early models the indicator rested against the RIM of the cartridge.....the RIMfire cartridge. Are you doing the math here. Just seemed like an accident waiting to happen.

2)I don't like the fact that the indicators on the Rugers seem to be as big as a sail. I mean the wind could catch one of these. What's next a neon flashing billboard with a "bitch'n Betty" saying "Chamber Loaded, Chamber Loaded". :D

But I digress. You will not go wrong with either a Ruger Mark series, 22/45 or Browning Buckmark. I have hard good things about the Beretta Neos as well.

Chris

blume357

I've been shooting the Mark III

for about a month now, it is great. I think the big complaint about the Mark III over the II is the added 'safety' features... as mentioned above and the no mag. disconnect... on top of that it not only came with an internal lock but a big Ruger Pad Lock that again and again in the instructions they tell you to use on the unloaded gun. Too much time and money (which we have to end up paying) for them trying to cover their asses from people who are too dumb to properly handle a firearm.

but I digress. The Mark III is one fine 22. At 50 feet I can shoot 2" groups with the factory sights and that's pretty darn good for an old jidder bug.

Bob1963

Another vote for a Ruger. They are very durable and seem to be less picky on ammo as some of the other 22's. Ive owned a Ruger Mark II and I liked it very much. Just didnt want to have three 22 pistols so I got rid of the Ruger.

brselman

Ruger Mark III

I have the Mark III Hunter. It is a cool gun and has gotten some awesome reviews, and I have enjoyed shooting it. BUT be careful, it can be finicky with cheap ammo. Although my gun has no problems with Remington Thunderbold (pretty cheap), it will NOT work with Federal Lightening.

DennisD

Another vote for the Ruger. I have the Mark II Government Target stainless and I can say I don’t think I can ever wear it out in my lifetime and I shoot quite a lot. It’s about 100 times more accurate than I am also.

For more on the Ruger you can go here: http://www.markii.org/

Be sure to check out the Forum. Lot’s of great people.

nhill0408

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that the p-22 is worth checking out at least. Visit the Walther forum at rimfirecentral and follow the fixes that are stickied there. I agree that no gun SHOULD have to be tinkered with out of the box to make it work reliably, but after doing some work on mine it's become a very fun gun to shoot. I've even heard that the new 06 models have been updated with some changes that helped alot. But alas, someday soon I might trade it for some Neos anyway.

FuriousOyster

Walther p22

But what about the redesigned p22? they say they made alot of enhansments and improvements to it... at least the gun looks better now.

azspyder

Well, they're both cool, but the Ruger is a superior weapon. The P22 is finicky about ammo (only high power will run reliably) while the Ruger will digest any thing. Do like me...get one of each.:D

CajunBass

I've got a MK II, and a MK III, and to tell you the truth I don't see a dimes worth of difference in the two. I just never really notice the loaded chamber indicator, or the magazine disconnect.

The padlocks work good on boat trailers, bicycles, lockers, tractor sheds and so on. All kinds of uses for a good padlock.

almark

I'll vouch for the Ruger... buddy of mine has a Mk II that runs like a champ, even after a couple of bricks of LRN remington ammo and no cleaning.

urbanassault

S&W 22A- got mine for $170 brand new, put a $40 reddot on it and it is probably my favorite gun to shoot. Seems to cycle all I put in it and is crazy accurate for under $200 even with open sights it shot great.