Ruger MK II.5 Combat Model

Viper225

Greetings this is my first post on this Forum.
Why Combat Work on a MK III Ruger you ask ??
Starting a couple years ago at our Sportsman's Club we added a Rimfire Division to our IDPA Style Pistol Matches, as well as our 2-Gun Combat Matches (Carbine & Handgun). The reason Rimfire was added was to cut down ammunition cost. The Handgun Match requires about 1 box of ammunition per entry. The 2-Gun requires about 20 rounds of handgun and 40 rounds for the carbine to shoot per entry. In the Handgun Match most shoot multiple handguns including the rimfire. We have Semi Auto Centerfire, Revolver, CCW (5-Shot), and Rimfire Divisions. The cost is $10 first entry and $5 all additional entries so almost everyone shoots more than one Division, and some shoot all of them.
In the 2-gun match we have some who only shoot centerfire, some only rimfire and a few who shoot in both divisions. Again the same price $10 first entry and $5 additional entries.
In Rimfire Division the MK III Ruger is hands down the favorite pistol to use. The favorite configuration is the 5.5 Inch Target Model.
I recently traded off my 6-7/8 Inch Hunter for a 4 Inch Hunter, and went to work on this one to make it into as good a Combat Model as possible. My long barrel Hunter was stock with the exception of the Hogue rubber grips. It had a very good trigger right out of the box, and shot great. Not so with the 4 inch Hunter Model that I traded for, the trigger pull on it was not nearly as good. Well since I was going to need to work on the trigger I did some looking at parts. Something I had not done in a while, and discovered that Volquartsen had came out with an Extended Magazine Release Button, as well as a Magazine Ejector since I had last looked at parts. I had also read about the Magazine Disconnect in the MK III not helping the trigger pull or Magazine Ejection, and how to fix this with a parts change to a MK II Hammer Bushing. Off went my order for a Magazine Release, MK II Bushing, and a Magazine Ejector. I had the Volquartsen Trigger,Hammer, Sear etc Kit on hand for the Trigger Job.
After some computer research I decided I would give installing the parts myself a try. I figured worst case I could take a box of parts to the gunsmith. It took a couple trys, but I got everything installed correctly, and the trigger adjusted out to where I was very happy with it.
The end result is a Stainless Steel 4" Fluted MK II.5 with non/thumbrest Hogue Rubber Grips, Extended Magazine Release, a Magazine Ejector, an excellent trigger, and Fiber Optic Front Sight with V Notch rear sight.
Perfection so far,however this is where I encountered a problem. With the MK II Bushing and Magazine Ejector installed when you hit the magazine release the magazine does eject out of the gun, and does not have to be pulled out (BIG IMPROVEMENT). THE PROBLEM, it is now hard to fully seat a Magazine into the pistol in a hurry. Not handy doing a magazine change in a Match.
The cure is simple have Extended Magazine Base Pads installed. The next issue is finding someone who makes an extended Base Pad for the Ruger Magazines. I think someone who posts as Techteach on this site makes Base Pads for the Ruger Magazines. Looking at his profile it does not look like he posts very much, so if someone has contact information for him, I would like to contact him. :):)
The last improvement to my Combat Model MK II.5 to finish it off would be an Extended Safety. Volquartsen is thinking about one from what they tell me. I sure hope it gets past the thinking stage, and into production in the near future. It is hard to swipe the safety off on the MK III as it comes from the factory. A few e-mails to Volquartsen from potential buyers would probably help getting an Extended Safety into production along.
Again any one with information on Extended Magazine Base Pads for the Ruger MK III, please contact me.
roachw@wildblue.net

Bob

Viper225

I have been in contact with the maker of the Extended Base Pads.
Looks like this will cure the Magazine Seating problem.
NOW if someone will make an Extended Safety for a MK III Ruger

Bob