Ruger Mini-30

Lohman446

I came across an all-weather variant in the gun store the other day - sub $600. It was in new or like new condition (I don't recall the tag).

What am I not going to like about the Mini 30? I see cheap ammo, a good ranch rifle / house defense gun for my wife. I get the 7.62 X 39 is no .308 but is it reasonably accurate at modest ranges?

WhyteP38

Lots of variables. What's the serial number? The sights on the new ones are dramatically better than the older ones. So the sights could be one thing not to like, if you're looking at an older model.

Other "not likes" include:

1) Barrel can get "whippy" when hot, leading to stringing of shots.
2) Aftermarket mags are generally terrible.
3) For reliability, limited to factory mags, which are limited to 5- and 20-rounds.
4) IIRC, 7.62x39 rapidly becomes ballistically challenged after 300-400 meters.
5) Some can be picky as to ammo.
6) Very limited range of customization.

Having said all that, I like my older stainless steel, synthetic stock Mini-30. I enjoy shooting it. It handles well and uses only cheap, Russian-commie ammo for range work. Mine doesn't like Wolf polymer, but it eats up Silver Bear all day long. It's accurate enough to hit target clays at 100 yards all day long with the stock irons and a homemade "strut" attached below the barrel. The Ruger 20-round mags work perfectly as do my five "American" brand, 10-round stainless steel mags (however, ProMag mags don't work at all). I'm also one of those people who believes a rifle can be a great CQB/HD weapon if set up right, so mine is set up for that with Hornady ammo.

smee78

I would say that alot of the won't likes have already been mentioned. A big plus on sticking to Ruger factory mags, and yes they dont like mag dump after mag dump and will get hot and string shots. Other than that they are nice guns and are pretty handy.

Sarge

I prefer the handling of the Mini over 95% of commonly available mag-fed semiauto sporters; but neither of my 7.62x39's are a Mini, for reasons described above and frequent reports of light strikes with steel case ammo.

rickyrick

I've never heard many complaints about mini-30

The mini 14 complaints didn't materialize in the two I owned.

Targa

The only real complaints I have heard of are with the Berdan primed ammo. I think the Mini's are a lot of fun to shoot and have been very tempted to pick one up.

Fishbed77

I see cheap ammo, a good ranch rifle / house defense gun for my wife.

My understanding is that many Mini-30s will not reliably cycle the cheap steel-cased ammo.

Maybe this has changed with later-production guns.

RUT

>>My understanding is that many Mini-30s will not reliably cycle the cheap steel-cased ammo.<<

Which is the reason I never got one, unfortunately. :(

WhyteP38

My 196 series won't reliably run Wolf polymer, but it's never had issues with Silver Bear. I've also never had issues with Brown Bear or Golden Bear, but I haven't shot much of those, so the sample size is too small to draw any conclusions.

bamaranger

I've got an early blue steel/wood stock version bought back in the Clinton/Reno era. All Mini's are typically slammed for their lack of accuracy. I hear the newer versions are an improvement.

Mine will shoot into about 2 1/2- 3" at 100 yds with the best ammo, and sometimes twice that with import steel case. I've never had an issue with steel case feeding or reliability,and have shot a fair amount of the fodder. We even ran the Mini30 in 3 gun for a few months, 'cause it was all we had. No problems.

Likes: - The MIni30 is produced as the Ranch Rifle, and has provisions for
Ruger rings and shipped new with same. Scoping one conventionally
, rock solid, is no big deal. That is not the case with many AK variants and the SKS tribe.
-The mini30 comes with a manageable trigger, again, others
not always the case.
-Ruger has a great reputation for factory/customer support.
-Many folks (and I'm one) like the look of the wood/steel Mini's
over the black guns. You can scrounge up a wood hand guard and
a strut for the fore end, and end up with rifle that resembles a
dwarf M14.
_If you want one, the factory 20 rd mags took the Mini30 to a new
level. Aftermarket hi caps are usually junk.

If I had to thin my assortment to one semi 7.62 x 39 rifle, the AK's would go, and the Mini 30 would stay.

turkeestalker

Picked up a 582 series just a few months back and really like it.
Not so convinced that the heavier profile barrel did all that much for the accuracy, but it's accurate enough for what it is and for your intended purpose.
About 95% of what I've fed mine is cheap steel case ammo and it's gobbled it up without issue thus far.
Mine was also synthetic, but I ordered one of the Mini 14 factory wood stocks from Midway for $100. Came with all the hardware and required very little fitting for the magazines to fit and function.
Bamaranger is right, the wood gives it an M14-esque look which is very appealing to me.

WhyteP38

IMHO, the nearest thing to compare the Mini-30 to is the SKS.

I had a Russian SKS. Back then, it didn't quite fit me, and the aftermarket selection didn't provide any stocks that fit me (at least not that I was aware of). I sold it and later got the Mini-30. For a 7.62x39 rifle, I like the feel of the Mini.

Nowadays, with the stock choices we have, I'd be torn between the SKS and the Mini. My perception is that the SKS is built like a tank and will definitely gobble up anything you feed it. Current models are about half the cost of the Mini.

On the other hand, 20-rd Ruger mags are very nice, my stainless steel Mini is plenty rugged enough, I can (and did) have the trigger worked on (not so sure you can do that with the SKS), I trust the spare parts I can get more than what I could get for the SKS, and my Mini is more accurate (and can be improved with a newer strut, if need be).

So ... if I had to choose between a Russian or Chinese SKS at $500 or more versus a new Mini-30, I'd get the Mini. If the Russian or Chinese SKS was $400 or less, the SKS. (I don't care much for the Yugo SKSs, so I left them out.)

agtman

I'd rather have a Mosin, ... and that ain't sayin' much - apart from impliedly complimenting the Mosin. :rolleyes:

ranger56528

I like my Mini-30 but I've only shot Yugo brass surplus through it,have never tried steel,p/u 6 cases of yugo many years ago for 200.00 a case.